PDA

View Full Version : suit sat

Christopher Pine
02-03-2006, 2:29 PM
Pretty cool... I know we have some ham radio folks here.. Going to get this signal?

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2006/26jan_suitsat.htm

Chris

Ed Lang
02-03-2006, 3:02 PM
My wife, KD4GRM let me, KC4YLX and our oldest son, KG4NXW know about this. I do not have any 2M gear on the air right at the moment but just might have to dig it out and try.

Thanks for posting for us HAMS!

Ed

Christopher Pine
02-03-2006, 3:15 PM
A 2m gear?

Chris (Not a ham, well at least not a ham radio guy, so I do not know the lingo)

Frank Chaffee
02-03-2006, 3:21 PM
Chris,
While I was awed by received transmissions while poking the needle to the crystal as a mere boy, I never became a ham (in the radio sense).
Thanks for sharing this latest “Burning Man” festival event with us!
Frank

Vaughn McMillan
02-03-2006, 7:41 PM
My wife, KD4GRM let me, KC4YLX and our oldest son, KG4NXW know about this. I do not have any 2M gear on the air right at the moment but just might have to dig it out and try.

Thanks for posting for us HAMS!

Ed
So...do you call the wife and son "KD" and "KG" for short? :p

- Vaughn

Doug Shepard
02-03-2006, 8:02 PM
I can only imagine the impression a bunch of empty spacesuits circling the planet will make on the aliens when their mothership arrives. Endless blank stares as they repeatedly request "take me to your leader".:D They're bound to think we're a pretty rude bunch.

Bill Lewis
02-04-2006, 4:13 PM
2m = 2 meter me thinks, which is the wavelength of the transmission. Therefore you need an antennae that is also 2 meter in length, or tuned to 2 meter to receive the best signal.

How'd I do? It's been a long time since I did any wave theory.

Ken Garlock
02-04-2006, 4:52 PM
Bill, you hit it on the nose.:)

The 2 meter band is from 144 MHz to 148 MHz. That is just below the actual "2 meter" frequency of 150 MHZ. Since the bands are stated in Metric, and the speed of light/electricity/radio is nearly 300,000,000 meters/second, it is easy to make the conversion from from Megahertz to meters by dividing the 300,000,000 by the frequency in megahertz.

-.- -.. . -.- ---.. -.-. .... ---
.- .-.

Frank Chaffee
02-04-2006, 6:07 PM
Pretty cool... I know we have some ham radio folks here.. Going to get this signal?Chris

I can only imagine the impression a bunch of empty spacesuits circling the planet will make on the aliens when their mothership arrives. Endless blank stares as they repeatedly request "take me to your leader".:D They're bound to think we're a pretty rude bunch.
Last I read, in this morning’s news, Ivan Ivanovich wasn’t talking to anyone from either out there or in here.

Since the bands are stated in Metric, and the speed of light/electricity/radio is nearly 300,000,000 meters/second, it is easy to make the conversion from from Megahertz to meters by dividing the 300,000,000 by the frequency in megahertz.
Thanks for the refresher course Ken. Now, realizing that the 300,000,000 Meters/second is 99.9308% accurate as a speed of light calc, I won’t feel naked w/o a calculator that has a “C” button.

-.- -.. . -.- ---.. -.-. .... ---
.- .-.
Frank
..-. .-. .- -. -.-

P.S. When I do my metric to inch conversions in my head I have to multiply by four to get dims into a range I can relate to. [embarrassed smiley here]

Jesse Merino
02-05-2006, 10:07 AM
Bought a ham radio....took the lessons, but could never get that blasted code down ... gave it up...

Cant do a thing anyways, with this pacemaker....not allowed a linear to be around me...sheesh... Still got that yaseau FT980 sitting up in the closet... gathering dust... oh well... Something in my past, that was tried, now on to the next thing.... Jesse

Ken Garlock
02-05-2006, 4:13 PM
Bought a ham radio....took the lessons, but could never get that blasted code down ... gave it up...

Cant do a thing anyways, with this pacemaker....not allowed a linear to be around me...sheesh... Still got that yaseau FT980 sitting up in the closet... gathering dust... oh well... Something in my past, that was tried, now on to the next thing.... Jesse

Jessie, as I recall the FCC has removed the morse code requirement for a license. I say 'recall' as I haven't been tracking it as I passed the 20 WPM test several years ago. And no you don't need a linear to get on the air. Your FT890 will do just fine for everything except the the DX pile-ups.

Something to think about.:)

Christopher Pine
02-05-2006, 4:54 PM
Just wondering if anyone succedded in getting the signal yet? What did it say?

Chris

Frank Chaffee
02-05-2006, 5:20 PM
Just wondering if anyone succedded in getting the signal yet? What did it say?
Chris
Chris,
Go here: http://www.suitsat.org/ . Best receptions claim to hear female and male voices, but so far no intelligible words.
Frank