PDA

View Full Version : Ulmia Plow

Mark Rainey
10-30-2023, 6:57 PM
I bought this Ulmia plow plane 20 years ago and use it for grooves. It does the job. The Veritas plow look nice but I have yet to need it.

Christopher Charles
10-31-2023, 12:03 PM
Wow! What a mash-up of a plane! I thoroughly enjoy my LV, but would also like to get a plane (or better a pair) of planes set up for drawers.

And nice looking drawer!

Jim Koepke
10-31-2023, 6:14 PM
+1 on "nice looking drawer," Mark.

I bought this Ulmia plow plane 20 years ago and use it for grooves. It does the job. The Veritas plow look nice but I have yet to need it.

No reason to buy if there is no need.

Wow! What a mash-up of a plane! I thoroughly enjoy my LV, but would also like to get a plane (or better a pair) of planes set up for drawers.

And nice looking drawer!

I like my #50 for drawers and boxes. Though it isn't able to do left handed work.

Sometimes it is nice to have a left hand plane when the grain seems to be going the other way:

The Stanley #45 can be set up so the fence can be used on either side. It can be cumbersome.

jtk

Tom M King
10-31-2023, 6:56 PM
Plowing grooves is probably the easiest of jobs for a molding plane.

Mark Rainey
10-31-2023, 8:25 PM
+1 on "nice looking drawer," Mark.

No reason to buy if there is no need.

I like my #50 for drawers and boxes. Though it isn't able to do left handed work.

Sometimes it is nice to have a left hand plane when the grain seems to be going the other way:

The Stanley #45 can be set up so the fence can be used on either side. It can be cumbersome.

jtk

Yes Jim, it is nice to have a plane that can go in the opposite direction when the grain creates problems. I have a Stanley 46 which I rarely use, but it looks like the rods can be switched to change direction. I will give it a try.

Mark Rainey
10-31-2023, 8:26 PM
Plowing grooves is probably the easiest of jobs for a molding plane.

I agree Tom!

Mark Gibney
11-01-2023, 12:44 AM
Nice looking plow pane. You bought it twenty years ago? I looked online to see if they are still available but didn't find any. Seems it may no long be made.

"It does the job" - does it do it well? Do you enjoy using it?

Brian Cargnelli
11-01-2023, 1:49 AM
I found myself also wanting dedicated ploughing planes for drawers so I decided to make one. Not hard at all. I used a 1/4 inch blade from LV plow plane and then just used the design from wood by wright. Took less than an afternoon and now I have a dedicated 1/4 by 1/4 drawer bottom plane. Cost less than 30 bucks including the blade. I know that others have used a 1/4 chisel as their basis but I had that 1/4 inch blade already. So I’m cheap.

Mark Rainey
11-01-2023, 7:25 AM
Nice looking plow pane. You bought it twenty years ago? I looked online to see if they are still available but didn't find any. Seems it may no long be made.

"It does the job" - does it do it well? Do you enjoy using it?
Yes Mark, about 20 years ago. I think the original ULMIA company shut down and was later bought out by someone else. It seems they have a very limited line. I think it does the job reasonably well, some flex to the fence, a bit bulky and a little more work to set the iron with hammer taps. The wood body adds some "warmth" to the plane, which is nice for a Neanderthal.

Mark Rainey
11-01-2023, 7:26 AM
I found myself also wanting dedicated ploughing planes for drawers so I decided to make one. Not hard at all. I used a 1/4 inch blade from LV plow plane and then just used the design from wood by wright. Took less than an afternoon and now I have a dedicated 1/4 by 1/4 drawer bottom plane. Cost less than 30 bucks including the blade. I know that others have used a 1/4 chisel as their basis but I had that 1/4 inch blade already. So I’m cheap.

Good idea Brian.

Tom M King
11-01-2023, 9:12 AM
My favorite grooving planes are the ones with fixed built in fence and a metal skate. The disadvantage is there is only one spacing from the edge, but I have one I narrowed the iron to fit 1/4" plywood, and if the distance from the edge fits, it gets used. I don't know what they go for these days, but there used to be plenty available for around 15 bucks.