PDA

View Full Version : PM 66 OEM throat plate question

Tom Wild
10-30-2023, 12:53 PM
Hi,

After cleaning the saw and realigning it, I ripped a narrow piece of stock, and noticed that the cut isn't quite square. After some investigation, I realized that the factory plate is a bit convex. It's perfectly flush with the table on the edges of the plate, but is lower in the center. (I used a straightedge and light source to make this determination.)

Is a non-flat plate common? I've never noticed it before, but it might explain some errors I've had with small pieces of material. I'm a bit surprised, because it's a casting, but I suppose anything is possible.

(I did read through the thread on replacement plates, and I do have some Corian leftover from a kitchen sink cutout, so I'll probably make one, but I'm curious to know if others have had this problem.)

Thanks,
Tom

Bradley Gray
10-30-2023, 1:12 PM
I've had my 66 for many years and have only used the original insert for rough ripping as it allows use of the factory splitter and guard. I will look for it and see how flat it is. The width of the saw slot is too wide for me, so I make a batch of inserts every so often and use a fresh one when needed. two of them are fitted with plastic splitters, (I forget the brand) one for 1/8" blades and one for thin kerf blades. I highly recommend the splitters for safety and accuracy, especially ripping small pieces.

roger wiegand
10-30-2023, 7:29 PM
Never looked. I still have it kicking around someplace, but use home made zero clearance plates for all routine work for the last 30 years. Certainly for narrow stock I wouldn't use the wide slot of the original, that's just asking for a problem.

Richard Coers
10-30-2023, 8:06 PM
The throat plate can take quite a hit if a cut off is slammed into it from the blade. Should be plenty of force to slightly bend it.

andy bessette
11-01-2023, 12:26 PM
...I do have some Corian leftover from a kitchen sink cutout, so I'll probably make one...

Caution! You should think twice about using plastic for a throat plate. Don't do it.

Using a commercially made plastic throat plate I had a very violent explosion when the swarf from the plastic workpiece welded itself and jammed in the plate. Hurt like hell, but no blood.