PDA

View Full Version : New Jointer belt problem

lou Brava
10-30-2023, 10:36 AM
I have a brand new Jet 8" HH jointer & it's throwing rubber from the belts & wondering if this is normal wear ? I have less than 2 hours of run time on it. When setting it up the manual says "Check to make sure that motor pulley and cutterhead pulley are vertically aligned" Not knowing exactly what this means and there are no reference points in the base or room to get a straight edge in there. I leveled the entire machine & used a laser to "align" the pulleys so center from motor to cutter is perfect and the offset at center of pulleys (best I can tell) is whiten a 1/32" of an inch. But since the motor pulley is twice the size of the CH pulley it's very hard to tell if they are aligned at the outside edge. In other words everything at center line may be perfect but there could be a slight twist from motor to cutter head. Anybody set up a new Jet 8" or similar machine seen this happening or have any insight into how to align the pulleys ? Here is a pic of the rubber on my new machine
Thanks

Michael Burnside
10-30-2023, 11:38 AM
My PM planer did this the first few runs as well. I think it's pretty common the first few uses while the excess fringe wears off from the new belts.

Richard Coers
10-30-2023, 12:50 PM
Check your belt tension. For checking alignment, make a straightedge from a piece of plywood in the shape of a C. Leave the original edge, but then cut out the center so it clears the base and other obstacles. Now you have two short edges that can bump against both pulleys. Check for gaps on the pulley faces with a flashlight behind the plywood.

Jerry Bruette
10-30-2023, 5:48 PM
Sounds like you're concerned with the sheaves being parallel. I'd use a string stretched tight across the faces of the sheaves to see if they're coplanar and parallel. Depending on how far apart the shelves are it might be easier with a second set of hands.

I was a millwright for thirty years and never used a straight edge to align sheaves. A line stretched tight is always straight.

lou Brava
10-30-2023, 6:26 PM
Sounds like you're concerned with the sheaves being parallel. I'd use a string stretched tight across the faces of the sheaves to see if they're coplanar and parallel. Depending on how far apart the shelves are it might be easier with a second set of hands.

I was a millwright for thirty years and never used a straight edge to align sheaves. A line stretched tight is always straight.

Yes that's correct, I wasn't familiar with the term "sheave" (I gogled it) but that's what I'm thinking if there not parallel with each other I could see that as causing belt wear and possibly even putting un wanted stress on motor/cutter bearings. I thought of trying a string but ended up using a laser instead. I'm going to get back in there tomorrow & see if I can figure out how and where to place the string and get better alignment.
Thanks for info. !

Bill Dufour
10-30-2023, 8:16 PM
Classic easy way is to loosen the set screw on one pulley. If that one is keyed to the shaft. Then turn on the motor and let it pull the pulleys into alignment.
Bill D

lou Brava
10-31-2023, 6:39 PM
Classic easy way is to loosen the set screw on one pulley. If that one is keyed to the shaft. Then turn on the motor and let it pull the pulleys into alignment.
Bill D

That sounds like it would work if the shafts were parallel to each & allow only for alignment in one direction (if I'm understanding your suggestion)
My problem was the motor and cutter head shafts are not parallel to each other, Jet built in about 3/4 of inch of play in every direction you could turn the motor. So very easy for the motor to get out of wack with cutter head. I re-aligned it today and now the sheaves are in almost perfect alignment & it's not throwing any rubber ! I only moved the motor about 1/8" in direction & about a 1/8" in another direction
it was close but not right.
For 2.5K Jet should at the very least rewrite there manual & explain how to "align" the pulleys & supply some sort of gauge to get it done. Or put some reference marks on the base so you'd at least have a starting point.
Thanks for the replies !