PDA

View Full Version : Clearance angle Veritas Custom with 40* frog

Tony Wilkins
10-29-2023, 12:11 PM
Automatically sharpened the blade for my LV Custom 5 1/2 to 35* rather than the 30* I’d been doing it at. I have the 40* frog in there. Will i run into a problem with having that little clearance angle?

Jim Koepke
10-29-2023, 7:51 PM
My guess is it may depend on the wood you use.

It may cause more problems in softwood than hardwood.

The lowest clearance angle any plane Stanley made is 8º on their #98 & 99 (and #79) side rabbet planes.

Try it, if it is a problem you will know right away. Try it on thick and thin shavings.

jtk

Tony Wilkins
10-29-2023, 8:05 PM
My guess is it may depend on the wood you use.

It may cause more problems in softwood than hardwood.

The lowest clearance angle any plane Stanley made has is 8º on their #98 & 99 (and #79) side rabbet planes.

Try it, if it is a problem you will know right away. Try it on thick and thin shavings.

jtk

Tried it some this afternoon (moderate to thick shavings) and so far, so good.

Derek Cohen
10-30-2023, 7:53 PM
Tony, 5 degrees of clearnce is about 2-3 degrees too little. The plane will cut as is until the bevel wears a little, and then will stop doing so prematurely compared with higher clearance angles. Keep in mind that bevels wear in both sides, and the wear bevel, although micro, will remove all clearance.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Tony Wilkins
10-30-2023, 7:58 PM
Tony, 5 degrees of clearnce is about 2-3 degrees too little. The plane will cut as is until the bevel wears a little, and then will stop doing so prematurely compared with higher clearance angles. Keep in mind that bevels wear in both sides, and the wear bevel, although micro, will remove all clearance.

Regards from Perth

Derek
I guess I’ll use it until it stops and either change the frog or try to go back to the original 30*.

Patrick C Daugherty
10-30-2023, 9:07 PM
I guess I’ll use it until it stops and either change the frog or try to go back to the original 30*.

Don't fix it till its broke

Tony Wilkins
10-31-2023, 2:38 PM
It’s able to quickly be adjusted for thick shavings and worked well for it…

Tony Wilkins
10-31-2023, 5:08 PM
I have four basic kinds of planes - LN Bailey style, Both types of LV (custom and traditional), woodies, and one low angle Jack. Don’t know if it’s my brain damage/nerve issues, but some days I just get along well with one type of plane well. Today it was the LN with a pretty good run at the LV 5.5*. Conversely, some days I just can’t get along with a plane - like the last two times I tried my two woodies. Of course, woodies depend on the weather so much that could be it.

* would have been better but was taking a shaving probably a little thicker than I could push.