PDA

View Full Version : New saw blade expectations questions

Brad Evans
02-03-2006, 11:44 AM
Hello...

Someone in another forum thought I should post my question here. First post on this forum for me...

I recently purchased online a 2-blade saw blade set used for cutting finger joints for boxes. On arrival there was a nick in one of the carbide teeth. I exchanged the set for another and was disappointed to find the second set had a similar nick in one of the teeth.

I'm wondering if I'm being too fussy and/or my expectations are too high. Blades I've received from Forrest and Festool have been perfect.

Here are some photos I made of the blade:
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/b-evans/Images15/BladeWeb

Would appreciate any opinions on: 1) Will the cut be compromised, 2) Is there a safety concern, 3) Am I being way too fussy

Thanks for your thoughts!

Brad

Joe Blankshain
02-03-2006, 11:49 AM
I would have an issue with any blade that had carbide inperfections. It may be more of an accuracy thing than may be readily apparent. Also, you are paying for a product that is quality and I for one would not settle for less. My .02

Byron Trantham
02-03-2006, 11:50 AM
Brad, I would not expect ANY chips or nicks on a new blade. Having received two of them with nicks I would return the set and ask for my money back. there is something wrong with quality control.

tod evans
02-03-2006, 11:52 AM
welcome brad! never used the blade you show but i`m sure freud will make it right, or the retailer? .....02 tod

Michael Ballent
02-03-2006, 12:08 PM
Based on those pictures I would not accept a blade like that... Even the safety instructions say that you should inspect your blades for chips and cracks before every use. That is a defective blade. Either get it replaced or get a refund... I would not want that blade spinning at 3500-4000 RPM anywhere near me... Think shrapnel... You could contact Charles M From Freud who is on this forum, send him a PM, perhaps he can correct the issue for you.

Gregg Mason
02-03-2006, 12:19 PM
I'm glad you brought this up, because I just received the same blade set yesterday. I haven't had a chance to look it over yet, but now I will take a closer look at the teeth. I'll report back if I find any problems.

Gregg

Brad Evans
02-03-2006, 12:33 PM
Wow, this forum is great! Thanks for the feedback.

What's weird, is the "shape" of the nick looks pretty much like the nick on the first set I returned. But I know for sure it is a different set - got the new blades the same day I dropped the old one in the mail back to Amazon.

Wonder if something happens in the sharpening process, which I assume is computer controlled - and for some reason a bump occurs. Of course that's way speculative...

I think I need to get a refund at this point, and try and find the blades locally - where I can inspect at the time of purchase.

Thanks again...

Charles McCracken
02-03-2006, 12:33 PM
Hello...

Someone in another forum thought I should post my question here. First post on this forum for me...

I recently purchased online a 2-blade saw blade set used for cutting finger joints for boxes. On arrival there was a nick in one of the carbide teeth. I exchanged the set for another and was disappointed to find the second set had a similar nick in one of the teeth.

I'm wondering if I'm being too fussy and/or my expectations are too high. Blades I've received from Forrest and Festool have been perfect.

Here are some photos I made of the blade:
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/b-evans/Images15/BladeWeb

Would appreciate any opinions on: 1) Will the cut be compromised, 2) Is there a safety concern, 3) Am I being way too fussy

Thanks for your thoughts!

Brad

Brad,

You are not being too fussy. Sounds like there was a problem with the shipping and I apologize for the problem. If you can return it to me I will ensure that you get a set that is not damaged.

Charles M
Freud America, Inc.

Roger Bailey
02-03-2006, 12:35 PM
Welcome Brad! As Michael stated PM Charles M from Freud I am sure they will get the problem solved. One of the nice things about this forum that I have noticed is there are several reps. from different companies that respond hear.

Gregg Mason
02-03-2006, 12:39 PM
OK. I just went to the shop and inspected my box cutter set. It's perfect. No chips, nicks, or any other visable defect with the carbide.

I dont think your being over concerned. This set is designed and purchased to make precision joinery cuts. you need them to be perfect.

The way these are placed in the case/holder, i could see how being rattled around in shipping might cause the teeth to be chipped.

I'd say give them one more chance to send you a clean set. If that fails, than either get your money back, and if you really want/need this, then try to find them local to avoid any shipping damage.

John Miliunas
02-03-2006, 12:40 PM
Brad, first off, welcome to the Creek! Nice to have you and hope you stick around!:)

As for the blade, I'll simply echo what the other guys have said. The first concern is safety. Secondly, quality of cut may very well be impaired and with a box joint being totally visible, imperfections are glaring! Lastly and certainly not least, it's NOT what you paid for! This is a unique blade set and not like you can switch OEM's. Either have Freud make it right or get your money back and go to "Option B", most likely being a router setup or "Option C", being using multiple passes with a flat grind blade on your TS. Heck, the Neander side of me says that you can even do them by hand!:D :cool:

Brad Evans
02-03-2006, 12:53 PM
Gregg & Charles, thanks.

Coming from Amazon, and being over $25 the shipping was free. And returning the first set was free (you print out a return postage-paid shipping label online).

Glad to see your set is fine - tells mine were just a fluke. Could very well be shipping. Amazon puts the blade set, wrapped in cardboard, in the bottom of a large box, and then puts packing on the top, to the top of the box. No cushioning on the bottom, though. The hold-down screwpost was torqued pretty tight.

But at this point, it's probably best to return to Amazon (free return shipping) for a refund, and find it locally and inspect on the spot.

Thanks...

Gregg Mason
02-03-2006, 1:03 PM
Brad, Your welcome. I also noticed the hold down post was really tight on mine. I guess that's why they do that. I was thinking about putting a thin sheet of cardboard or foam between the blades when putting them back in to the holder.

Hope you get a good one. This looks like a really nice set.

Gregg