PDA

View Full Version : Where to get powder for powder coating MDF

Jonathan Jung
10-26-2023, 1:21 PM
I've been searching where to get powder for coating MDF and it's proven difficult. I've tried PPG, Tiger, Columbia Coatings, Prismatic. Lowest temperature cure I can find is 350 which might be stretched to 325. I need to do a test on some MDF to see if it will burn at 325.

Anyone know anything about how this is done?

mike stenson
10-26-2023, 1:25 PM
If it's flat.. and doesn't have a lot of possibilities for shading, I'd look at UV cured powder coating.

Jonathan Jung
10-26-2023, 1:42 PM
Any idea what UV lamps would be required? I've looked into it a little, and it seemed not as versatile and costlier to setup for, as I already have a conventional oven. I'll have to look again at what UV lamps cost. Most parts I'm doing fit inside a large home oven which I've repurposed.

mike stenson
10-26-2023, 2:02 PM
I haven't looked into it seriously in about a decade. Things may have changed. At that time, I decided to just hire out. It sure seems to fit your use-case though.

Richard Coers
10-26-2023, 2:49 PM
Doesn't sound simple or easy! Coating the edges must really be a trick https://www.powdercoatingonline.com/powder-coating-mdf/

Jason Roehl
10-27-2023, 5:20 AM
https://www.westfraser.com/sites/default/files/products/MDF/WP-GoldPlus%202013.pdf

Auto-ignition temperature of this particular brand of MDF is at least 400°F. I saw some other, slightly higher temperatures online.

Brian Runau
10-27-2023, 6:58 AM
I've been searching where to get powder for coating MDF and it's proven difficult. I've tried PPG, Tiger, Columbia Coatings, Prismatic. Lowest temperature cure I can find is 350 which might be stretched to 325. I need to do a test on some MDF to see if it will burn at 325.

Anyone know anything about how this is done?

Years ago I worked for a company that built dip tanks industrial ovens overhead conveyors for automotive deere harvester etc...I think in order to truly powder coat you need to electrically charge the paint and the substrate +/-. Then bake it. Not sure how you powder coat wood based on the principles. Brian

Steve Demuth
10-27-2023, 10:31 AM
Years ago I worked for a company that built dip tanks industrial ovens overhead conveyors for automotive deere harvester etc...I think in order to truly powder coat you need to electrically charge the paint and the substrate +/-. Then bake it. Not sure how you powder coat wood based on the principles. Brian

That's my understanding as well. I believe it is common to apply a very thin/mist surface film of electrically conductive solution to the prepared wood prior to spraying on the paint. I think the wood is commonly preheated as well, to improve adhesion. It really is a factory process.