PDA

View Full Version : Wondering if someone can help... Delta 62-413 motor question

Chris Morrow90210
10-26-2023, 3:35 AM
Hello,

I am trying to get my grandfather's Delta drill press setup with a Delta/Rockwell motor 62-413 that I purchased recently. After installing, I discovered that the direction of the rotation of the motor is incorrect. I have included pictures of the wiring and the motor cover plate, but am not exactly clear on which wires get reversed. Currently, if I understand correctly, the motor is turning clockwise (CW). I believe the wiring picture shows this configuration, but am confused by all the yellow and green wires. I believe in order to change the direction of the motor, I need to take the yellow that is attached to the black wire and connect it to the green wire that is connected to the feed neutral (white) wire and take the black wire that is attached to the yellow and move it to the feed neutral (white)wire which is currently attached to the green wire. Can anyone please confirm?

Thank you,

Chris

Maurice Mcmurry
10-26-2023, 8:11 AM
It looks like that motor has had its leads replaced or the colors have faded. They can be identified with an ohm meter. I had to get help from an experienced motor guy when I came across a similar problem. He sorted it out visually very quickly then checked with the meter to be sure he was correct. I will look through my books, I may be able to come with a diagram and instruction for the ohm meter. SMC has several contributors that are very helpful with motors.

A better picture of the junction box interior will help. Looks like you swap W and Y only and it should reverse. Do not change the line in.

Bill Dufour
10-26-2023, 10:43 AM
Odd diagram. It does not show power in. But it is easy to read. Good luck telling yellow from green after all the years of fading. White is dirty as well. I like the way Maurice did it of label the color with a sharpie.<br>
Yellow/black connection is obvious. The other must be white and green. That white looks very similar to the yellow.<br>
Any girls in the house? Fingernail polish comes in those four colors. Dollar stores have it as well. A q-tip and a gallon can of paint works too. Just takes longer to dry. Heat shrink tape comes in colors and works but, the connection must be broken before applying.<br>I used to have a little bottle of Jaguar red touch up paint I found at the wrecking yard. Useful for marking battery terminal connections marked in black on black plastic in a black hole.<br>Bill D

Bill Dufour
10-26-2023, 10:48 AM
My DP has a reversing switch. I only reverse if the bit gets stuck. Some times to open up the chuck really wide.
BilL D

andrew whicker
10-26-2023, 11:19 AM
Only switch the fabric covered wires. Don't worry about your power input wires. You're making an internal change to the motor wiring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiZgXq11lHQ

You CAN change direction with 3 phase motors by swapping input wires, but not single phase.

Chris Morrow90210
10-26-2023, 1:45 PM
Thank you all for the advice. I do have a multimeter and have some knowledge of electricity from college and years of wiring houses. I understand I only have single phase wiring and see that the motor is that from the nameplate. The part that confused me is the wire colors are off. I will attempt the wire reconfiguration tonight. The post about being able to reverse the motor is helpful and I could possibly wire the motor to have a switch like that as I have another external switch that I was going to use for turning on/off.

Only switch the fabric covered wires. Don't worry about your power input wires. You're making an internal change to the motor wiring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiZgXq11lHQ

You CAN change direction with 3 phase motors by swapping input wires, but not single phase.

Maurice Mcmurry
10-26-2023, 2:03 PM
A reversing switch is a neat feature on some tools. There is a good thread about wiring them here at SMC. Lots on the web too.