PDA

View Full Version : Mirror wall for home gym

Abdul Azeez
10-24-2023, 11:40 AM
I am trying to create a wall of mirrors with two columns in my basement gym. The first column as you see in the picture contains a 36x42 inch frameless mirror on the bottom held by a j channel and mirror clips and the top is held in place resting on the 36 inch below and held in place by command strips 20 lbs and mirror clips. The dimension of the top is 36x30 inches. So the total height of the above contraption is 72 inches.

Right next to it with no gap I want to mount three mirrors with each measuring 36x24 inches so that the total is 72 inches. On doing a prototype I am not confident of command strips for this since there are three mirrors and each mirror thickness is only 1/4 inch. So it's not very easy to space it on top of each other as opposed to the above where it is a bit thicker. I have j channel on the bottom.

What is the best way to mount these mirrors one on top of each other without damaging the wall (as in I don't want to glue directly to wall). I was thinking of using a French cleat at the back. However the mating piece has to be glued to the mirror and I am not sure if it will be strong. In the picture below the red circles area has no mirror clips. I am assuming the first section should hold well given it's supported on bottom, top and side. But for the new column since it will be three mirrors I cannot have the middle one supported well using the same design.

I was thinking I add a 1/4 inch luan plywood french cleat to the back of the mirror and glue it and attach a similar one on the wall. Would this make sense and what glue would you use? The reason for the 1/4 inch is that (if not smaller) is that with the glass thickness of 1/4 inch will bring it as close to the mirrors stacked on the left side with a .07 inch being proud. Will this be an issue?

Is there another option of just adding a 1/4 inch luan to the back, anchoring it to walls and then gluing the mirrors using mastic? If I do this how do I take them off as in the plywood will be anchored at the back isn't it?

Kindly advise.