PDA

View Full Version : Festool Mortising Template

James Jayko
10-24-2023, 9:14 AM
I saw the Festool mortising template yesterday and it looks pretty cool.

But...$400?

Anyone make something similar with success?

Michael Burnside
10-24-2023, 9:29 AM
Peter Millard has one

https://10minuteworkshop.myshopify.com/products/10mw-loose-tenon-jig-30

George Yetka
10-24-2023, 9:30 AM
That is a bit pricey.
https://www.woodsmith.com/article/router-jig-for-perfect-mortises/

glenn bradley
10-24-2023, 9:34 AM
But...$400?

:eek: . . . nearly speechless.

Tom M King
10-24-2023, 9:58 AM
I think if anyone pays $400 for that, they ought to.

Edward Weber
10-24-2023, 10:24 AM
Doesn't anyone just make their own shop jigs/templates anymore?
I can't believe there is actually a market for a $400 piece of, well you know.

Michael Burnside
10-24-2023, 10:31 AM
Doesn't anyone just make their own shop jigs/templates anymore?
I can't believe there is actually a market for a $400 piece of, well you know.

I do, generally, but I've also bought a few from fellow woodworkers/content creators just to support them in their efforts. Under no circumstances would I pay $400 for a jig made of 5 bucks worth of polycarbonate and some knobs.

James Jayko
10-24-2023, 11:04 AM
This is why I was asking!

Also, I would probably buy it if it had the ability to both self center and do what it does.Or if it was $40. But the price is just…stupid.

Pretty sure I could buy two appropriately sized rods and make a keeper fence myself.

mike stenson
10-24-2023, 12:19 PM
I kind of consider those prices to be a "tax".

Doug Garson
10-24-2023, 12:35 PM
There's also the Morley Mortiser or the 3x3 mini mortising jig and probably a half dozen other plans or kits online
https://philipmorleyfurniture.com/shop/plans/mortiser/
https://www.3x3custom.com/store/mini-mortising-jig-plans

Kent A Bathurst
10-24-2023, 12:57 PM
I'm disappointed it does not come with its own Systainer.

Thomas McCurnin
10-24-2023, 1:49 PM
Using a Router to make mortises has been a working concept for about 50 years, starting with Pat Warner, who is still one of my router idols (RIP) and his books and jigs are still top of the line. Pat's books are out of print now, but I still have several on my bookshelf.

Jeff Miller had a great improvement over Pat's design in a two part jig, one for mortises and one for tenons. They can be found in his chair making book.

Finally, Leigh introduced a combination mortise and tenon jig which comes in at a little under $1,400. The Leigh jigs can be found on the used market for under $500.

Unlike dovetails, the mortise and tenon joint is awfully basic and has analysis, less written about it, and is easier to make with basic hand tools, and no need for YouTube videos.

But hey, if you've got $106 and like Festool, then go for it.

mike stenson
10-24-2023, 2:15 PM
Personally, I find the dovetail to be a whole lot easier to make with hand tools than a mortise and tenon.

Keegan Shields
10-24-2023, 2:58 PM
I'm disappointed it does not come with its own Systainer.

haha Kent wins...

Thomas McCurnin
10-24-2023, 4:17 PM
That could be, but there is more print, angst, worthless gimmicks, YouTubes, and jigs devoted to the dovetail, than there is for the mortise and tenon.

Michael Rutman
10-25-2023, 10:44 AM
I suspect you are paying for a solid template with dust collection built in as opposed to making your own that may have a little flex and is hard to adjust with no dust collection.

The first mortise template I used was a plate with 2 pegs, which works great, until you slip a little and then it doesn't work very well. The second I used was not clear so lining it up to start and stop was quite challenging to my amateur abilities.

One upside/downside is each side is adjusted independently. Nice for that offset mortise that I've never ever done nor seen outside of dominos. On the other hand, centering is a little harder, and for $400 I don't want to fuss with another possible error.

I'll probably get it as I'm a sucker for blowing lots of money on maybe I'll like tools. I should start a web series for "Good tools with little skill".

Michael Burnside
10-25-2023, 11:04 AM
I suspect you are paying for a solid template with dust collection built in as opposed to making your own that may have a little flex and is hard to adjust with no dust collection.

The first mortise template I used was a plate with 2 pegs, which works great, until you slip a little and then it doesn't work very well. The second I used was not clear so lining it up to start and stop was quite challenging to my amateur abilities.

One upside/downside is each side is adjusted independently. Nice for that offset mortise that I've never ever done nor seen outside of dominos. On the other hand, centering is a little harder, and for $400 I don't want to fuss with another possible error.

I'll probably get it as I'm a sucker for blowing lots of money on maybe I'll like tools. I should start a web series for "Good tools with little skill".

I make absolutely zero apologies for any tool I buy and you should do the same. My end results speak for themselves and the people the furniture is for couldn't care less if I used a jig, CNC, power tool, hand tool or anything in between, so I couldn't care less either. Hey if you want to buy a $400 jig, go for it. I wouldn't, but you're not spending my money and I'm not spending yours :D