PDA

View Full Version : Limiter cutter ground incorrectly?

andrew whicker
10-20-2023, 2:02 PM
Putting these blades on the for the first time (with also new cutter head)

Every measurement I can make keeps telling me that the limiter tip is cutting before the cutter blade. Is the limiter ground incorrectly? Looks like it is sloping up from the sharp edge and I would think it needs to slope the opposite.

It creates a high point that is above the actually cutting knife. Both limiters have the same back cut.

I don't know if it's the head or the knives. Attached are a few end profile photos as well. Looks odd to me. See how the verticals are mis aligned.

Joe Calhoon
10-21-2023, 10:55 AM
Best way to check those is with the cutter installed in the shaper with a straight edge across the fence opening. It’s hard to tell just looking at the cutter. Have you run any wood samples yet?

brent stanley
10-21-2023, 11:25 AM
The geometry of those cone heads can be a bit of a head trip because of the compound angles they are sitting on in the head. Set it in the machine and verify that the cutter will hit a straight piece of wood when the limiter won't. You'll have to adjust the fence so it's barely beyond the limiters max projection at a given point up from the table and check that the knife does hit at the same point above the table.

andrew whicker
10-21-2023, 12:42 PM
These photos were taken after doing various things with it installed to verify the limiter was hitting...

I'm going to send the info to whitehill. I don't know which is wrong, the cutter or the body