PDA

View Full Version : Added Some Gold to the Shop

Vaughn McMillan
02-03-2006, 4:24 AM
Sorry, but I feel compelled to remove the text and pics in this post. I cannot publicly explain my reasons for doing so, but if you would like more information about the project or the reasons why it was removed, I can be contacted at SMC -at- tg3k.com.

scott spencer
02-03-2006, 5:14 AM
The fence looks awesome Vaughn. But even at 5am the colors looked like they might need some help though! ;) I've been avoiding a fence with that kind of precision b/c I need to have at least one excuse for my goofs! :D Hope you enjoy it...

Karl Laustrup
02-03-2006, 5:38 AM
Looks purty. Does it work? I don't see any saw dust. :confused: :D

Congrats again Vaughn.

Karl

Keith Outten
02-03-2006, 5:49 AM
Vaughn,

That's a really cool setup, add a couple of MicroJigs to that table saw for safety and you will be set.

Vaughn McMillan
02-03-2006, 5:52 AM
Karl, it was too late to fire it up by the time I got done wrenchin' it all together and squaring it up. Don't want the neighbors hating me any more than they already do. Plus, I still need to secure the power switch and do a final go-over before I get it dirty. ;) BTW, congrats on 1K posts. :)

Keith, good point. The MJ splitters are in one of the drawers in the background. I habitually remove the splitter and lower the blade when I'm done cutting, and especially if I'm monkeying around with the fence. I only raised the blade for the pics. Wanted to add the red for color. :D

- Vaughn

Tom Drake
02-03-2006, 5:54 AM
That looks great! Be sure to give us an update when you have used it for a bit.

Ben Abate
02-03-2006, 7:50 AM
Vaughn,

Before purchasing a euro slider I use an Incra set up for years. When deciding weather or not to purchase the slider my concerns were, would the slider be as acurate as the Incra. It was quite a decision for me, not knowing how the sliders were other than a sales rep trying to explain how good they were. Your woodworking will take on a new meaning for acuracy. It so nice to be able to dial it down to the .001, I know it is wood and it moves but, if you have the means why not use it. You will appriciate when setting the measurement for 4" and the cut is 4" and not 4 and a 1/32. I fact I almost got rid of a unisaw because I did not like the standard fence. Then I bought the Incra and wow, good product.

enjoy your new way of measuring.
Ben

Ken Fitzgerald
02-03-2006, 8:06 AM
Vaughn......Congrats! Give us a review of the Incra after you've used it for a while. It looks good on you TS3650. I've got the same saw and might consider putting it on mine. Let me know how it works out!

Ryan Ricks
02-03-2006, 4:20 PM
Vaughn -

I just purchased the TS system at the Indianapolis WW show a couple weeks ago. I got it installed on my saw, but we recently moved and my shop is not cleared out enough to use it yet. Don't know if you are like me, but every time I walk by it I adjust the fence and take a measurement, just cause it is so novel to have a fence that adjusts properly!!

Congratulations on your win - if the TS system is 1/2 as good as the router system I've used for a few years, it will be exceptional!!

-Ryan

Keith Barkhau
02-03-2006, 5:30 PM
Very Sweet!! Been thinking of doing the same thing--getting rid of my current router table and relocating it and the incra jig to the TS.

One question on your Rockler table--did you have to remove an existing wing to attach it to your saw's table, or is it attached to the wing? Also, how does it mount?

Thanks,
Keith

Vaughn McMillan
02-03-2006, 5:41 PM
...One question on your Rockler table--did you have to remove an existing wing to attach it to your saw's table, or is it attached to the wing? Also, how does it mount?...
I didn't remove either wing to mount the table -- I wanted the extra horizontal real estate. The table is attached to the rails with right angle brackets similar to how the rails are held onto the cast iron table and wings. I have a detailed pic, but it's at home...I'll post it later this evening. The table is also temporarily attached to the left-hand wing with a C-clamp, but I plan to drill holes in the edge of the wing and bolt the wooden frame of the router table to the edge of the wing.

I also think I'll eventually add some additional braces or legs to the left side of the table, to help support the additional weight of the router and table. Since the saw is on a built-in mobile base, I'm thinking of some type of "kickers" going from the left edge of the table to the base of the left side saw legs.

- Vaughn

Keith Barkhau
02-03-2006, 5:50 PM
Thanks for the info. Kickers sound like a good idea--thats a lot of weight cantilevered off the the main body of the TS.

Gregg Mason
02-03-2006, 7:36 PM
With green carpet and an orange table saw, I figured it was time to add some gold to the color scheme in the shop. :)

I'm not quite sure that gold matches your orange TS. Maybe you should send that system my way. It would look nice with my green TS.:)

Let us know how you like it. I've been debating if I should upgrade my Griz contractor saw to a cabnet saw, or keep it and add an incra system to it. Of course option 3 is do both! I'd like to know how this works out on your Contractor saw.

Cant wait to see the first project off this.

Congrats.

Gregg

Dave Fifield
02-03-2006, 7:44 PM
FWIW, I have the Incra TS setup (extra long rail version) on my old Jet cabinet saw. I made my own table extension. I have the whole setup on the matching Jet mobile base.

IMO, the Incra TS fence setup is the best thing since sliced bread. It is so accurate and easy to use. I love it and would never go back to the old xacta fence.

Pictures? Later maybe...

Dave F.

lou sansone
02-03-2006, 8:29 PM
wow

now that is real gold

congrats and let us know how you make out with it..
lou

Peter Pedisich
02-03-2006, 9:23 PM
Congratulations, that's some fine equipment. Enjoy!

Pete

Todd Davidson
02-03-2006, 9:34 PM
Congratulations Vaughn! Looks like a nice set-up.

Question......How do you like the Herculift? Would it easily work with other equipment? The borg near me has the lifts as a clearance item so I'm considering picking a couple up.

In peace, Todd

David Fried
02-03-2006, 10:30 PM
Vaughn,

I think you have more drawers in your shop than the rest of us combined! Is that where you put the saw dust?

I've only heard good thinks about the Incra - can't wait to hear your field reports and see what you make with it.

Dave Fried

Jay Knoll
02-03-2006, 10:47 PM
Vaugh

Congrats on the lucky draw! Great looking setup and you didn't use the "g" word once!

Jay

Vaughn McMillan
02-04-2006, 5:26 AM
As promised, here is a picture of how I mounted the router table to the rails:

The angle brackets are simple (heavy) angles from the local hardware store, cut and drilled to fit. The bolt you see in the t-slot at the bottom of the rail is a standard carriage bolt, with parallel flat faces ground into the head. (I'd like to replace them with the oval "rectangular" nuts, but the local hardware store doesn't stock them, so these will do for now.) On the left of the picture is the oak frame underneath the 3/4" laminated MDF table top. A simple machine bolt through a slightly oval hole in the frame allows enough slop to adjust things flush and plumb.

Todd, the Hercu-Lift works great. I didn't realize they made them as standalone mobile bases for other tools. If I had know that, I would've considered it for both my band saw and jointer.

David, those drawers are only the tip of the iceberg. I think I counted something like 73 drawers when I moved into this house. The previous owner installed a lot of built-in cabinets and drawers. The ones you see in the pictures are hand-me-downs from my grandfather and LOML's late father.

Tonight I got the power switch mounted, so tomorrow I'll get a chance to test drive the new rig. I think I'll try out my new Freud Box Joint set with the Incra. I'm curious to see if it all works as well in real life as it does on paper. When the first real project gets done, I'll be sure to show pics here on SMC.

Thanks again for all the comments -

- Vaughn