PDA

View Full Version : How would you build this chair seat?

Sean Moore
10-19-2023, 3:08 PM
I posted a couple weeks ago about how y'all think this chair is assembled, and I determined that a metal rod is the best way to attach the cushion to the seat.

I need to build a plywood seat from that the upholstery will attach to, and im not sure how to approach this angled joint (circled in black). The seat will be supported in the front on a cross rail, and there will be a metal rod that runs through the seat cushion attaching it to the sides of the chair.

Both cushions will be 5" thick. My current plans is to laminate two 3/4" pieces of BB for the seat bottom. The back will be a two pieces of 1/2" BB, with a 1/2" space between them for a metal rod to slide through. The space between the 1/2" BB pieces will be filled in around the metal rod space to provide structure.

I need to somehow attach the seat bottom and the back and im not sure what the best method is? Was thinking of a couple large box joints? Or perhaps some custom angled metal brackets for support?

John TenEyck
10-19-2023, 3:26 PM
Finger (box) joints is what first comes to mind for me, too, but I would use more than "a couple". Glue area is what makes joints strong (after cross sectional area), so I'd look at joints maybe 1 to 1-1/2" wide across the complete width of the seat.

John

Sean Moore
10-19-2023, 3:34 PM
Hi John, thanks for the info. I think 1" box joints would be a good way to go. Now to figure out how to cut some angled box joints.

Bradley Gray
10-20-2023, 8:19 AM
I would reinforce the joint with hinges