PDA

View Full Version : Two More - Brought to you by the 1/4" hollowing tool

Raymond Overman
02-03-2006, 12:54 AM
Here are two more small lidded boxes I turned tonight. These are a lot of fun and are starting to decorate my cube at work. People can't come by and talk without picking them up and opening them.

The first is grandillo and ebony. The chatoyance (the wood changes color when you move it Stu) is amazing in this piece of wood. It looks like it's an inch deep.

The second is olive. I made this one a little skinny since I didn't have as large a square of wood. I like the way it turned out though.

Lastly, the other two pictures are of the hollowing tool I used on these. It's a piece of M2 1/4" x 1/4" x 8" steel with a handle I had from an old tool. The whole thing cost me $1.35. I got the bit from http://www.wttool.com (No affiliation, just information)

Michael Stafford
02-03-2006, 6:31 AM
Pretty nice, Raymond, pretty nice indeed.:D Thanks for the tool link also.

Jim Dunn
02-03-2006, 8:18 AM
Ray those are nice boxes indeed. But I have a request for a pic of your operation of turning the lid with the finial in place. Do you use a collet or chuck to hold the lid while you turn the finial? How do you protect the lid in a chuck, when tightened, from getting scratched? Do you use a steady rest for those small finials?

Thanks for posting the really unique items and the tool link.

Jim

Dick Parr
02-03-2006, 8:43 AM
Those are some great looking boxes Raymond. Nice job and them and the tool.:)

Keith Burns
02-03-2006, 8:50 AM
I really like the form on these boxes. Nice job:)

Raymond Overman
02-03-2006, 10:09 AM
Do you use a collet or chuck to hold the lid while you turn the finial? How do you protect the lid in a chuck, when tightened, from getting scratched? Do you use a steady rest for those small finials?

Jimmy, I'll try to post a photo journal on the process soon but until then, here's the 12 step program.

1) Mount a block of your favorite wood to a waste block in your chuck or on a faceplate. Pull the tailstock up for support.

2) Rough out the block and shape it to the final shape of the outside of your box. I use a spindle gouge and cut right up to the live center on the top of the box. Don't worry about the dimple the center makes. You'll cover that with the finial.

3) Use a 1/16" parting tool to cut a rabbet for the lid. This is the lip of your lid so make it what you're comfortable with when making the thin sides of your box. Mine are probably between 1/16th and an 1/8th. I haven't measured. You can then part the lid off right behind the rabbet cut.

4) Glue a square block of your favorite finial wood to the top of the lid with CA. I use a 5/8" x ~2" block of ebony for the examples. I usually make a dimple in the block with a 10 MM drill bit so that the finial gets more surface contact with the rounded lid.

5) Use a parting tool and small hollowing tool to size the opening for the lid in the bottom of the box. You want a snap fit. I only hollow it to about 1/4" so I can size the lid properly. You're creating a jamb chuck for the lid.

6) Put the lid on the box with the finial and bring up the tailstock.

7) Rough and shape the finial leaving about 1/4" of round stock next to the tailstock for support while working on all details but the point of the finial.

8) Use masking tape to hold the lid to the box and turn the finial down to part it away from the tailstock. I support the finial with my finger while turning this part. It's very delicate cuts until you get what you want.

9) Sand the finial from 220 grit through 12000 MM.

10) Remove the masking tape and lid and hollow the bottom of the box being careful to get even thicknesses and sides.

11) Sand the outside of the box from 220 grit through 12000 MM stopping between lower grits to sand the length of the box. This will help remove radial scratches from the sandpaper.

12) Use a spindle gouge to tuck the foot of the box and parting tool to remove the box from the wasteblock. Hand sand the bottom of the box. Finish with laquer.

Hope this clears things up for you. Follow these 12 steps and you'll be on the way. Good luck.

Bernie Weishapl
02-03-2006, 10:11 AM
Great looking boxes Raymond. Both are beautiful.

Andy Hoyt
02-03-2006, 10:46 AM
Nice ones, Raymond. Real nice.

Jerry Vander Till
02-03-2006, 12:51 PM
Raymond,
Thanks for the 12 step training. I'm going to add a box to my list of items to learn to turn.

Your pieces are great examples of what a beautiful box can be.

Jim Ketron
02-03-2006, 1:02 PM
Nice Job Raymond!
beautiful work!

John Miliunas
02-03-2006, 1:19 PM
Way cool, Raymond! Great detail in those finials, too! :) Might just have to try making my own tool one of these days, as well! Thanks much for the info!:) :cool:

Jim Dunn
02-03-2006, 4:33 PM
Twelve steps to little box happiness:) Sounds like the 12 steps of the AA.

Raymond I really appreciate you help all kidding aside, Thank You!!

Jim

Mike Ramsey
02-03-2006, 5:14 PM
Great job Raymond!! I really like your home made HT, I am a home made
tool kinda guy.....

John Hart
02-03-2006, 7:19 PM
Very cool again Raymond!!! Ya need to turn some shelves for your office and just plaster them everywhere. Nice lookin' tool too!:)

Ernie Nyvall
02-03-2006, 8:44 PM
Cool looking boxes Raymond. I really like the forms.

Ernie

Raymond Overman
02-04-2006, 8:05 PM
Very cool again Raymond!!! Ya need to turn some shelves for your office and just plaster them everywhere. Nice lookin' tool too!:)

John, When I get to be important enough to have an office it will probably be known as the "Little Gallery". Until then I'm still a peon and they're all over my cube. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the comments on the boxes. More will be forthcoming.