PDA

View Full Version : Unrepairable tools

Ole Anderson
10-14-2023, 8:03 AM
Eventually most of my hand tools will be battery powered. My old PC 647 recip saw bit the dust as the needed switch is no longer available. Looks in good shape, but probably 30 years old. Hate to toss it. Fortunately I have already moved on to a PC 20 v model (with matching angle grinder and jigsaw). Using it to cut roots with a carbide pruning blade to access a sprinkler line break. Used it continuously for almost 40 minutes before the battery died. That was when I remembered my backup 647 was kaput. But my first power tool, a B&D 7-1/4" Sawcat purchased in 1967 is still going strong, used it yesterday for a deck project. The times, they are a changing. Wait, my PC 5" corded ROS still works as well as my PC 3/8" VS drill (which never sees use anymore) and my PC trim router. Then there are a few HF corded tools, a 1/2" drill motor just to mix mud as well as a 7" buffer. Guessing a lot of those will outlive me.

Tom M King
10-14-2023, 8:18 AM
I keep a couple of old tools going like that with electronic contact cleaner and compressed air in the switch.

Derek Cohen
10-14-2023, 8:24 AM
Eventually most of my hand tools will be battery powered. M...

Ole, few of my hand tools need batteries. They just run and run .... :)

My watch, too. :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Maurice Mcmurry
10-14-2023, 8:37 AM
I have a few favorite oldies that I keep alive by finding parts or matching whole tools on eBay.

Cameron Wood
10-14-2023, 1:08 PM
I've spent a ton of time repairing power tools, that would then fail some other way. Often they don't fully break, they just get more lame.
Have had to train myself partly out of the habit.

Quick tip:

When replacing a cord, leave some wire at the switch, and join to the new cord with crimp-on butt connectors. The ring terminals at the switch are often hard to duplicate from normal terminal kits.

Bill Howatt
10-14-2023, 1:29 PM
Since connectors were mentioned, I'm just putting this out as a FYI, FWIW, in case you haven't heard of them. They are SolderStick connectors that are a solder, and heat-shrink tube all-in-one that only requires a heat gun or other heat source. https://solderstick.com/

This independent review video gives the how-to use, pros and cons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dImF86OwiK8
I've never used them but they look like they could be handy for some applications.

Cameron Wood
10-14-2023, 2:59 PM
Thanks. Good to know about. I put longer cords on many tools, sometimes by (don't tell OSHA) cutting off the plug and splicing on more cord. These would work well since you don't need room to slide heat shrink tubing off to the side while soldering.