PDA

View Full Version : Tick Tock Two

Andy Hoyt
02-03-2006, 12:24 AM
As a follow up to our bombing run over northern Idaho last Tuesday, it's now time for Phase Two.

What I'd love to see here is everyone's suggestion for those things that Ken needs to fill out his arsenal of turning related gear. Tools, chisels, jigs, accessories, add ons, and such.

We don't neccessarily want to do this on the cheap, but nor do we want to break the bank. We're looking for items that will show value to a turner at the low end of the learning curve.

For now, let's just assume that he has nothing, except for the Jet Mini VS and the Super Nova Chuck.

Concurrently, I'll be talking with Ken (probably over the weekend) to determine what stuff he already possesses and which have a beneficial application to turning. I'll be putting your suggestions into a spreadsheet so this can be properly analyzed and subsequent acquisitions can be made while avoiding duplications.

During the build up to Tick Tock One, there were a few folks who said that they had spare gouges and such that they'd be happy to send along. If those guys still want to do that, send Ken a PM and you can hash out any details.

Cecil Arnold
02-03-2006, 12:48 AM
Depending on what he currently has he will need something to sharpen with. If he has a grinder, he may need stones. He will need some kind of sharpening jig or directions on making a home made one. Everyone says to do spindle work to learn, but if he really wants to do bowls, then the spindle stuff doesn't need to be too much. Maybe a 3/8" skew, and 3/8-1/2" spindle gouge and roughing gouge and a parting tool. A round and square scraper and a bowl gouge. I've got all that stuff, but normally only reach for a bowl gouge and let the rest gather dust.

Loy Hawes
02-03-2006, 3:18 AM
Assuming he is going to start on bowls,

1.Bowl gouge (Irish Grind)

2.Scraper

3.Diamond parting tool

4.Grinder with appropriate wheels

5.Wolverine sharpening jig

6.Faceshield

George Conklin
02-03-2006, 5:46 AM
Great idea, Andy. Bill G's video is a must, don't ya think?

George

tod evans
02-03-2006, 6:30 AM
hang tight:)

John Miliunas
02-03-2006, 8:14 AM

Yeah, I was kinda' waitin' for you to pipe up!!! :D

Books 'n videos.:) :cool:

Jim Dunn
02-03-2006, 8:20 AM
Definately a large chip bin. Also a dust collection system attached to the lathe for sanding applications. (You can make more dust sanding than you think and your standing right over it at that)

Steve Clardy
02-03-2006, 8:25 AM

Roger that.:eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

Ron Ainge
02-03-2006, 12:44 PM
if there is a turning club in his area I would suggest a paid membership to that club. If not you may be able to point him in the direction of other turners in his area.

Andy Hoyt
02-03-2006, 1:15 PM
You're all coming up with great stuff. Thanks!

I checked the AAW site. Closest chapter is 110 miles away in Spokane, WA.

FWIW, there are members of my chapter who drive three hours each way (good weather) to make meetings.

Keep thinking, folks.

Joe Tonich
02-03-2006, 3:32 PM
Definitely a skew..................

That way on a bad day, when he thinks things can't get worse, he can grab the skew.

Then he'll KNOW they can..........:eek: :eek: ;)

Joe

Jim Dunn
02-03-2006, 4:39 PM
You're all coming up with great stuff. Thanks!

I checked the AAW site. Closest chapter is 110 miles away in Spokane, WA.

FWIW, there are member of my chapter who drive three hours each way (good weather) to make meetings.

Keep thinking, folks.

Yeah Andy, but up north there ain't nothin but northern lights and moose pies. A guys got to have some entertainment someway.

Ken you need some real good lights.

Jim

Curt Fuller
02-03-2006, 7:33 PM
How about a couple gallons of Anchorseal?

John Hart
02-04-2006, 7:44 AM
Anyone thought of safety equipment? Ken said he had a faceshield...but what about some nice armor?:)

He also needs some exotics wafting through the air.

I have box of wood to send as well.

Anchorseal is a good idea...the 5 gallon pail is the best rate per gallon and it's free shipping.;)

tod evans
02-04-2006, 7:55 AM
Anyone thought of safety equipment? Ken said he had a faceshield...but what about some nice armor?:)

i could have used that 30 yrs ago when i was having chunks of walnut flying outta the lathe and bouncing off my head!......02 tod

Glenn Clabo
02-04-2006, 8:12 AM
i could have used that 30 yrs ago when i was having chunks of walnut flying outta the lathe and bouncing off my head!......02 tod
Sure does explain some things...:D

Jim Dunn
02-04-2006, 9:08 AM
Ken, for sanding you need something to insulate your hands from the sand paper. I use a piece of cork. It's some what flexible and forgiving if you get it in contact with the wood.

Most of the other fellows probably have a better solution to specific problems, but these small few are the only ones I've had to counter with my bottle caps:)

Andy Hoyt
02-05-2006, 11:11 AM
Ken, for sanding you need something to insulate your hands from the sand paper. I use a piece of cork.

Never thought of cork. I use an old mouse pad that's cut up into 1x2 strips and use it to back up the 1" wide strips of sandpaper.

Anyone thought of safety equipment? Ken said he had a faceshield.......

I've got one of those dust-be-gone masks. Works really well. That said I'm saving up for one of those helmet rigs with powered air ducts and windshield wipers.

Jerry Clark
02-05-2006, 11:59 AM
Hey Andy, how about a mat to stand on for the long hours of standing-- :D And some flowers for LOML to make her happy when he spends all his spare time in the shop!:rolleyes:

Jim Dunn
02-05-2006, 12:40 PM
Ken as I read Jerry's above post, about the flowers, I for one, have to sincerely appologize.:( Your quality time:cool: with the LOYL has just gone out the window and I feel some what responsible for that. Course Andy has to take some of the blame too.:D:D:D

If I was you I'd put an add in the paper "Help me save my married life please by my lathe".:eek::eek:

tod evans
02-05-2006, 1:01 PM
Sure does explain some things...:D

glenn, that only accounts for me being a knot-head.....the bad attitude survived the onslaught:) .02 tod

Glenn Clabo
02-05-2006, 4:42 PM
That said I'm saving up for one of those helmet rigs with powered air ducts and windshield wipers.

Yo Andy,
DrNurse has just ordered one for me...I'll bring it up so you can test it. I'll try not to sweat and burp into it too.....much.