PDA

View Full Version : Saw ID Help

Barney Markunas
10-11-2023, 4:04 PM
I rescued a 22' saw from my in-laws' basement. Plain beech (but comfy) handle, plain brass nuts. The etch is weak but I can make out a sun rising (setting?) over some mountains and text with what looks to be Cleveland and Lake Erie. Possibly all of this captured in the outline of the state of Ohio - that is a complete shot in the dark but it is my best guess. The other identifying marks are solid and not speculation.

I know pics would help but my attempts at capturing the etch have been without success. Can anybody point me in the right direction? I'll be cleaning it up, sharpening it and then and passing it on to o ne of my sons. I'd just like to give him a little history other than it was something his grandfather probably scored at a house sale. Thanks in advance.

steven c newman
10-11-2023, 4:22 PM
There WAS a wholesale Hardware supplier in Cleveland...they had Disston make and etch saws for them.....about the same deal as with Keen Kutter items...

Richard Hutchings
10-11-2023, 4:59 PM
How in the heck do you know such things???!

Jim Koepke
10-11-2023, 7:19 PM
How in the heck do you know such things???!

By diving down the rabbit hole and talking to Dr. Google > http://www.thckk.org/history/shapleigh-history.pdf < is just one page about American tool makers and the acquisition of one company by another.

jtk

Richard Coers
10-11-2023, 8:47 PM
That's a long saw! LOL

Barney Markunas
10-11-2023, 10:47 PM
Oops! Sadly, I can't even blame autocorrect, just my fat fingers. Guess I'll need to budget a bit more time for the sharpening.