PDA

View Full Version : Bessey clamp set screw specs/source?

mike stenson
10-10-2023, 1:09 PM
Does anyone know how to source a replacement set screw for a Bessey clamp? I've called Bessey, they told me to email orders@besseytools.com, which I did a few times now, but it's been ignored for at least a month.

As an aside, completely unimpressed with Bessey support over such a stupid issue.

Jim Becker
10-10-2023, 1:47 PM
If the set screw you need is missing from the clamp, do you have another clamp that is the same that you can get the size/threading from so you can source a replacement elsewhere? Or let us know what speicific clamp...chances are someone here has the same one and might be able to do the "measure the screw" thing for you as many folks keep a reference tool to be able to do that. I think mine goes down to M3 or M4 in metric, for example.

mike stenson
10-10-2023, 2:02 PM
If the set screw you need is missing from the clamp, do you have another clamp that is the same that you can get the size/threading from so you can source a replacement elsewhere? Or let us know what speicific clamp...chances are someone here has the same one and might be able to do the "measure the screw" thing for you as many folks keep a reference tool to be able to do that. I think mine goes down to M3 or M4 in metric, for example.

it's an M7. Which is an oddball size. As it happens, I just got a reply from Bessey US. I was tempted to email Bessey.de. Thanks Jim!

Michael Burnside
10-10-2023, 2:16 PM
Mike what type of clamp is it? I have a local hardware store here that has an absurd number of off-the-wall hardware that I could check out for you if you need. They may have an M7 setscrew, but I'd need to know what length you need, etc.

James Jayko
10-10-2023, 2:30 PM
McMaster Carr?

mike stenson
10-10-2023, 2:44 PM
It's a light-duty tradesman clamp. With that said, they've indicated that they've mailed a replacement. So, I may take you up on that.. but not at the moment!

Patty Hann
10-10-2023, 2:51 PM
Lots of M7 choices on ebay

Jim Becker
10-10-2023, 6:56 PM
Yes, M7 is less common than M6 or M8. I guess they chose it because of sizing particulars where it needed to go...M8 too big and M6 less than desired.

mike stenson
10-10-2023, 7:07 PM
They're also hardened. This is what the clamp relies on to provide pressure against the rail.

I'm sure they have an easy provider, and don't expect it to be consumable. Those sorts of specs, I care less about standard sizes too.

Jim Becker
10-11-2023, 10:14 AM
AH...hardened does make sense now that you mention it.

mike stenson
10-29-2023, 12:14 PM
Well, after emails and phone calls promising to ship a set screw, I'm tossing the clamp in the trash. This is the first time I've had a problem with any Bessey product, but being repeatedly lied to over a cheap warranty issue was odd.