PDA

View Full Version : Sorting out the Lie Nielsen screwdrivers

Tony Wilkins
10-09-2023, 4:54 PM
Over time I’ve ended up with most (maybe all) the LN screwdrivers. They tend to look alike to me. How do any of you that have multiple of these screwdrivers organize/label to use them for their intended purposes?

Philip Glover
10-09-2023, 5:59 PM
I measure the blade thickness with a micrometer and write the thickness with a Sharpie on the shaft close to the ferrule. Could use an engraver to mark the shaft too.

Regards,

Phil

Jim Koepke
10-09-2023, 6:22 PM
How do you store your screwdrivers Tony?

jtk

Jim Koepke
10-09-2023, 6:41 PM
I measure the blade thickness with a micrometer and write the thickness with a Sharpie on the shaft close to the ferrule.

It may be useful to write the screw size the head is made to fit.

Most screwdrivers are made to fit a particular screw size:

The information at the bottom was done by me and may (or may not) contain errors.

The Head Bore Size at the top should be the same as the width of the blade for slotted screws.

There is no frustration like trying to drive a#10 screw with a #2 screwdriver or a #2 screw with a #10 driver.

Some of my drivers have blades that are a bit fat to fit into the slot on some screws. A little work with a coarse stone can usually remedy that.

jtk

Matthew Eason
10-09-2023, 7:00 PM
I have a card that came with my set. It tells you what goes to what. They are all numbered on the ferrule except for the #1. There are 9 in total if you aren't considering the specialty (i.e. the multi bit driver that accepts 1/4" bits).

Stephen Rosenthal
10-09-2023, 7:04 PM
I assume you are referring to the ones they make for their planes and sharpening jig. I’m not aware of any others they make. This link gives all the dimensions. You’ll need a caliper or micrometer.
https://www.lie-nielsen.com/nodes/4110/screwdrivers

Tony Wilkins
10-09-2023, 7:24 PM
How do you store your screwdrivers Tony?

jtk

right now they’re floating around my shop Willynilly. (See organizational thread I started lol)

Tony Wilkins
10-09-2023, 7:26 PM
I assume you are referring to the ones they make for their planes and sharpening jig. I’m not aware of any others they make. This link gives all the dimensions. You’ll need a caliper or micrometer.
https://www.lie-nielsen.com/nodes/4110/screwdrivers

The ones I have are labeled with the number but I have to look them up when I try to remember which is which.

Dennis Tebo
10-11-2023, 8:13 AM
Like others, mine are all numbered on the ferrule and included a card showing what parts they work for. So just remember to store the cards with the screwdriver and you should be able to get the proper one for the task at hand.

Dennis

steven c newman
10-11-2023, 8:26 AM
They do sell a rack at Wall E World...
Had to cut this one down to fit IN the door....
BTW..I like to collect Irwins like these 3...
Amongst other things...