PDA

View Full Version : Trimming the bottoms of doors square. (w/pics)

David Eisan
02-02-2006, 10:56 PM
Hello everyone,

I am working on the last of the kitchen doors for my parents. These are the first Rail and Stile doors I have worked on since installing the DeWALT sliding table on my newly restored 60's Unisaw. For the first time I was able to trim the bottom of the doors rather than try to sand the bottoms flush. I must say it is a dream.

When I set up the saw, I scribed a line strait back from the left side of the blade into the cast top, this helps greatly when cutting. With the door on the sliding table, I over hang the bottom of the door a smidgen over the scribed line and then make my cut. It takes off any glue squeeze out and trims the door strait and square.

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/trimdoor1.jpg

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/trimdoor2.jpg

I cannot believe how easy this is now and how perfect it turns out.

Thanks for looking,

David.

Every neighbourhood has one, in mine, I'm him.

Dev Emch
02-03-2006, 12:10 AM
Isnt the slider a joy to use! And it makes total cake out the job. Check out the surface finish of the cut. No blow out, no serious saw marks and dead on square.

And this is a kitchen door on a unisaw. Now you guys know how easy it is to do entire entry doors like this using the sliding table on the martin T-17. Yup, I am ready to issue the Nobel Peace Prize to whom ever invented this thing.

Kelly C. Hanna
02-03-2006, 12:46 AM
Someday when I have a bigger shop, I wanna do this to my Delta. Was it hard to install?

Tom Drake
02-03-2006, 6:00 AM
I do practically the same thing using one of my cross cut sleds.

Kirk (KC) Constable
02-03-2006, 7:01 AM
.... I scribed a line strait back from the left side of the blade into the cast top...

:eek: Probably 32 guys will rush to the shop before work and buff out their saw tops after reading this. I, on the other hand, will likely do as you did...and maybe paint the scribing so it shows up better. :D

KC

tod evans
02-03-2006, 7:37 AM
:eek: Probably 32 guys will rush to the shop before work and buff out their saw tops after reading this. I, on the other hand, will likely do as you did...and maybe paint the scribing so it shows up better. :D

KC

try a product called dyekem(sp) it`s a fluid used in the metal working industry to make scribed lines easier to see....02 tod

Art Mulder
02-03-2006, 8:56 AM
Dave!

You forgot to add the disclaimer: "Table Saw Guard removed for photographing purposes only" :D

John Lucas
02-03-2006, 11:50 AM
Dave,
Nice slider, but it is far from the blade. Why notput a 1=by fence across the slider and to the blade. When you cut the end off, you will have a more accurate mark for showing where the blade is.