PDA

View Full Version : Epoxy and Waterlox

James Jayko
10-09-2023, 3:16 PM
I forgot one piece of a project, and have already put one coat of Waterlox on it. I’m planning to use epoxy to glue on the corbels; can I epoxy over one coat of Waterlox, or do I need to sand it back?

Michael Burnside
10-09-2023, 3:25 PM
Waterlox is a drying oil and with just one coat it is "probably" ok (if allowed to dry), but personally I'd scuff it lightly with hand sanding beforehand.

Edit: this post probably should be moved to Project Finishing

Philip Glover
10-09-2023, 4:06 PM
I would scuff sand and then clean the sanded area with acetone.
Cleaning with acetone is normal before using epoxy when working with teak.

Regards,

Phil

Stan Calow
10-09-2023, 4:16 PM
Waterlox is a varnish, made with oil, but still a film finish

Jim Becker
10-09-2023, 7:27 PM
Yup...Waterlox is an oil based finish but it's not an "oil" finish. As Stan says, it's a varnish, albeit one that tends to penetrate a bit because it's thin in consistency. No issue with epoxy but I'll recommend a little scuffing to insure better adhesion of the resin.

Rich Engelhardt
10-10-2023, 11:27 AM
I'd sand it back myself.
Epoxy can have some pretty strong solvents (MEK, MIBK) that can do a number on any finish they are applied to. There's a real good chance of it (the epoxy) causing the Waterlox to wrinkle.

Prashun Patel
10-10-2023, 1:50 PM
I'll throw this out: Are you sure you want to glue on your corbels? Like I've always screwed them in and capped.

James Jayko
10-19-2023, 11:02 AM
Pretty sure I know the answer to this, but Titebond would be even more so "sand it back to raw wood," right?

Jim Becker
10-19-2023, 12:47 PM
Pretty sure I know the answer to this, but Titebond would be even more so "sand it back to raw wood," right?
Yes, PVA glue needs bare wood to be effective and strongest.