PDA

View Full Version : It's your fault........I don't want to hear it!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-02-2006, 10:49 PM
You couldn't have found anybody more ignorant about lathes and turning than I!

Tonight, I discovered the free videos offered at Woodcraft. I hope you can't wear those videos out!

I went online and checked for turning clubs near me. Nearest is Spokane, Wa...110 miles away.

I did receive an offer from Forrest Price last month to come over an try out his lathe here in Lewiston. Turns out he lives just a couple of blocks from me. I may have to take him up on his offer soon.

Do you think Bill Grumbine's video would be applicable to a totally uneducated turner?

Jim Ketron
02-02-2006, 10:53 PM
Yes get it! You wont regret the decision!

Cecil Arnold
02-02-2006, 10:54 PM
Yes Ken, spend the money, it's another banana peel on the slippery slope--and a good video.

Jim Dunn
02-02-2006, 10:57 PM
Hey Ken just picture a Forest WWII blade spinning at 800rpms. Now grab a piece of wood and just shove it in till the chips are jumping off at an incredible rate. Enough to cover you in wood chips from head to foot. Scarey aint it?
Now buy or steal a video of Bills and review review review.------Then turn your first bowl. Simple!!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-02-2006, 10:58 PM
Thanks........I'll check out his webpage tonight. If he takes credit cards I'll make the order.

Jim Dunn
02-02-2006, 11:10 PM
Oh yeah Ken don't listen to me! I only turn bottle caps so far. Oh and a top or two:)

Carole Valentine
02-02-2006, 11:12 PM
Ken, I would recommend a book "Woodturning: A Foundation Course" by Keith Rowley. Also "Turning Green Wood" by Michael O'Donnell. Start with spindles, not bowls. Make a couple of tool handles to get the feel of the lathe, the wood and the tools. But whatever you do, have fun! And wear a face shield! ;) Go out and grab a couple of straight green branches and make some shavings.

Bill Stevener
02-02-2006, 11:15 PM
Hay Ken,

You'r off to a good start. I think you should be over at Forrest's place this weekend if it can be arranged, great place to start. Review all the videos you can, one at a time, otherwise it may become very confusing.

And mostly, my biggest wish for you, is that your first piece of turning stock is of some very, very rare exotic species. Like to see the photos then. :D

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Andy Hoyt
02-02-2006, 11:17 PM
Ken - Let me know when you're ready for Phase Two of Operation Tick Tock.

But first - Is it out of the box yet? Remember those Ginsu Knife commercials?

"But wait! There's more"

Bernie Weishapl
02-02-2006, 11:23 PM
Ken, Bill Grumbine's video is a definate go. You will not regret that one. PSI has a free DVD on pen turning also which is not bad for starters. They are slow so don't be in a hurry.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-02-2006, 11:27 PM
Andy............I'm ready for phase 2 whenever you are. I need to pick your mind and utilize your expertise!

I just ordered Bill Grumbines DVD........

Carole...........I'll look into those books. Don't worry about the safety equipment. I already have a full face shield that I use when working some with wood and I use them at work when working with large cryogenic magnets and handling Lhe....liquid helium.. Safety isn't an accident!

Jim.......I thought we were saying the same thing!:confused:

Andy Hoyt
02-02-2006, 11:37 PM
But first - Is it out of the box yet? Remember those Ginsu Knife commercials?

"But wait! There's more"

"And that's not all!"

Umm errr Ahem!

Mark Singer
02-02-2006, 11:38 PM
Ken,
Don't worry....I'm turning in my sleep:rolleyes:

Ken Fitzgerald
02-02-2006, 11:39 PM
In a low bass voice............................

YES?

Andy Hoyt
02-02-2006, 11:40 PM
Look to the box Ken

inside

Ken Fitzgerald
02-02-2006, 11:45 PM
The super Nova2?

Andy Hoyt
02-02-2006, 11:48 PM
Any decent bombing run deserves an aftershock, huh!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-02-2006, 11:50 PM
Yes!..........is it okay now for me to start buying tools?

Corey Hallagan
02-02-2006, 11:50 PM
Hey Ken, I was pretty sad, all I knew is I wanted to make some pens but I think I will like making small bowls and boxes as well. I didn't know jack about it before and still don't know alot but you are in very good hands here. I have only done little spindle projects so far. It is well worth the time to spend several weekends getting to know the tools and figureing out how they work. The first time I thought... woah, I made a big mistake spending this money, but I went back in a couple days later and turned a square piece to round and have since figured out pretty well how to use the skew etc. I am having fun doing just little spindles but wanting to do some practice items like tool handles, spurtles, a mallet other useful practice stuff. Once you get to where you can make square into round you can make a slimline or cigar pen easy enough I think. Just practice and more practice. In my opinion sharpening is harder than turning. But you have to learn to do both! Oh, by the way, if I was you I would buy the PSI HSS tools to start out with, they are good tools for a good price. Learn how to sharpen with them, it isn't so bad if you runin one then.
Corey

Lee DeRaud
02-03-2006, 12:18 AM
Hey Ken just picture a Forest WWII blade spinning at 800rpms. Now grab a piece of wood and just shove it in till the chips are jumping off at an incredible rate. Enough to cover you in wood chips from head to foot. Scarey aint it?You mean I don't have to buy a lathe? I can just use my table saw for this roundy-go-thump stuff?!?:eek:

You guys have been holding out on me.:cool: :p

Andy Hoyt
02-03-2006, 12:25 AM

Not quite. Just posted a new thread on that point.

Earl Eyre
02-03-2006, 12:55 AM
Ken...glad to hear where you live. We get "up" to Lewiston at least a couple times a year and would love to get together. My wife's sister lives in Clarkston. We usually make it at least once in the summer with our 5th wheel and once in early or late winter. I usually just sit around the camp ground while the sisters gab so it would be fun to meet you. We live in Klamath Falls, OR.
Earl

Ken Fitzgerald
02-03-2006, 7:58 AM
Earl.....Would really enjoy meeting you. Hopefully by your next visit I'll have the interior of the shop I started 2 years ago finished and should be building some cabinets for it and of course.....my new forced avocation.....turning! I'm about 3 blocks from the airport in Lewiston on Airway Ave. I'm listed in the phone book. If you ever in town call me. We'll get together!

Jim Dunn
02-03-2006, 8:10 AM
You mean I don't have to buy a lathe? I can just use my table saw for this roundy-go-thump stuff?!?:eek:

You guys have been holding out on me.:cool: :p

Some techniques are best kept quiet:rolleyes: Also I got it backward, you take the wood blank and bolt it to the arbor, then you use your blade to make cuts holding it by hand of course. Hey you could even use you dado set:eek: for spindles.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-03-2006, 8:20 AM
Jim.....a couple questions?......with the blank mounted to the arbor.....how do reach it with the blade?......Now if it is a contractor's saw.....you might hunker down (I'm an experienced hunkerer, lately) and reach up with the blade ......if it's a cabinet saw?????????????????? Help out a technically challenged person here, will you?:confused: :rolleyes: :D

Jim Dunn
02-03-2006, 8:25 AM
You need one of those sliding, compound cutting, overhead, sidemounted, 14" long bed, short fluted saws to do this. That I know of only 2 exist. Dave Emch has the other one.:)

Now Ken, go to work. I'll set up a tutorial and PM it to ya:)

Ron Ainge
02-03-2006, 4:33 PM
Ken

I don't know if you would be interested but there is one of the best turning symposiums in this country held at BYU in june each year. http://www.utahwoodturning.com/site/page/pg1205.html
I went last year and I could not absorb all of the information that they were trying to pass on to us.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-03-2006, 8:04 PM
Ron....I'll keep that in mind. I also found some 1 day classes at the Woodcraft store in Boise (260 miles south) that I might try to attend work permitting!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
02-03-2006, 8:24 PM
Ken get it done!

If I can turn this....

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/turnings/turning_thereabouts.jpg
On my crappy little drill driven lathe, with these cheapo DULL tools.....

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/turnings/turning_tools.jpg

...with next to ZERO ability and NO knowledge about what I was doing, then you, with your nice new lathe, and chuck and the large amount of info online here and other places....

Come on, make some chips! :D:D:D

Frank Chaffee
02-03-2006, 9:01 PM
Ron....I'll keep that in mind. I also found some 1 day classes at the Woodcraft store in Boise (260 miles south) that I might try to attend work permitting!
Your choice Ken,
Boise or Spokane, either way it’s a spinney road downhill from where you were before they got a hold of you.
Best Wishes,
Frank

Ken Fitzgerald
02-03-2006, 9:04 PM
Yes...........but Nobody..........I repeat.....Nobody.......Ever got pushed over the lip of that hill like I did!:D

As ordered, I'm waiting for Phase2 to end and then look out!

Dennis Peacock
02-03-2006, 9:56 PM

Ken,

Don't go too crazy yet....you "could" be getting more in the mail soon.!!!:rolleyes: :D

Harry Pye
02-03-2006, 10:11 PM
Ken, I would recommend a book "Woodturning: A Foundation Course" by Keith Rowley. Also "Turning Green Wood" by Michael O'Donnell. Start with spindles, not bowls.

Ken,

I haven't seen the Michael O'Donnell book but the Keith Rowley book is excellant. But use it as a text book or guide, not something to read while watching TV.

Take the book into the shop with you and work your way through his examples. He teaches how to control each of the major tools and I think a good turner should be able to turn spindles and bowls.

But, as always, don't make it a chore, just have fun.