PDA

View Full Version : Unguarded traditional tools

Steve Demuth
10-08-2023, 10:10 AM
I love to see the immense skill in how traditional crafts were practiced, generally. Often, though, the safety features lacking in traditional shops give me pause.

This video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5WCw95Lyv0) combines both: great craftsmanship by a traditional, old woodworker in Japan, and tools that I can hardly bear to watch in use. The giant trimming knife at 2:06 to 2:45 in the video just blows my mind in the latter respect. How anyone made to age 87 with two hands and ten fingers still attached operating that machine for the purpose she does, escapes me. I think and hope that the video frame rate is reversing the apparent direction of rotation, so the thing is at least cutting against the table as a stop, but even so, I wouldn't even try to use it. Leaning into the circular saw with about 12" radius of completely unguarded blade is even more frightening, but something about the slicer really gives me the willies.

On the other side of the equation (the skilled craftsmanship), the son turning the tea caddies with his hand made, obviously meticulously sharpened tools, no fixed tool rest, and wooden friction chucks (including the caddies themselves) was a joy. Such simple tools, and skill in using them, to create an elegant and simple, functional product. Made my Sunday morning.

Howard Pollack
10-08-2023, 10:38 AM
I totally agree with everything you said! Both glorious and terrifying! -Howard

Mark Hennebury
10-08-2023, 11:53 AM
The "Giant trimming knife" is a rotary planer, a large round disc, like on a disc sander, with two or three small slit openings, with blades slightly protruding, just like the sole of a handplane, not really very scary at all, it can only take a shaving, just like a handplane.

Mark Hennebury
10-08-2023, 12:05 PM
This is a large Takakawa model

https://youtube.com/shorts/8dM34aaPxWw?si=HSFNjJiAfBu8Qlg9

Kevin Jenness
10-08-2023, 1:38 PM
The "Giant trimming knife" is a rotary planer, a large round disc, like on a disc sander, with two or three small slit openings, with blades slightly protruding, just like the sole of a handplane, not really very scary at all, it can only take a shaving, just like a handplane.

No more dangerous than a disc sander- makes a cleaner cut too! It does appear that the fence is on the wrong side of center in this photo. Perhaps I am misunderstanding the mechanics of the tool, but it seems that rotating ccw the blades would tend to lift the work off the table. Can you comment, Mark?

Steve Demuth
10-08-2023, 2:19 PM
The apparent direction of rotation is probably an artifact of the filming. Depending on the relation of frame rate to rotational speed, things often appear to rotate the opposite direction they are actually moving when filmed.

Kevin Jenness
10-08-2023, 2:51 PM
The apparent direction of rotation is probably an artifact of the filming. Depending on the relation of frame rate to rotational speed, things often appear to rotate the opposite direction they are actually moving when filmed.

Understood. I was referring to the first photo Mark posted, with a fence mounted right of center.

Aaron Inami
10-08-2023, 3:13 PM
What is even more dangerous is that she uses knit gloves when pushing through the tablesaw and rotary trimming knife machines. All you need is one little snag for the blade to yank that glove forward and your whole day is ruined!

Edward Weber
10-08-2023, 6:01 PM
I couldn't find the video but here is a pic of a, somewhat larger, rotary plane (finger remover)

https://masu-japan.com/standard.htm

Ray Newman
10-08-2023, 9:38 PM
I think that these videos just "put the best forward." Does anyone have any idea as to those were injured? That Is never mentioned. Myself, I cannot believe that people have not being injured/killed using such tools.

Mark Hennebury
10-09-2023, 12:00 PM
I think that there is a knee-jerk reaction by modern day "safety sheriffs" when they see a blade or a machine that is unfamiliar.
The person cutting the logs on the table saw, is doing one job, not moving around, not changing cuts, it is just a simple cut on a sliding table, you could do it on a bandsaw. Of course there is danger, but on the grand scale of things it's not that dangerous. Sam Maloof did far more dangerous work cutting compound unsupported cuts on the bandsaw, ever day, and we love Sam.

The "finger remover" has a tiny opening large enough for a shaving to go through! you could sand your hand down faster on a disc sander!

the rotary planer is similar to a supersurfacer.

508756 508757

Mark Hennebury
10-09-2023, 12:14 PM
They rotate clockwise. maybe the video is showing it mirror image.

Mark Hennebury
10-09-2023, 12:22 PM
Wadkin double disc sander.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw6FwzEgyhg

Mark Hennebury
10-09-2023, 12:38 PM
Takekawa planer

Ray Newman
10-09-2023, 5:40 PM
MH: that reminds of the old short-lived Delta Uniplane.

Mark Hennebury
10-09-2023, 6:23 PM
I always liked that, it was a cool concept, excellent for small parts.

MH: that reminds of the old short-lived Delta Uniplane.

Kevin Jenness
10-09-2023, 8:23 PM
Takekawa planer

Thanks, Mark. I was mistaking the nosebar for the blade, that makes more sense. As fast as the lady hogs material off those log blanks though, I am pretty sure it would take a finger down to the knuckle in short order. She didn't get to that age with all her fingers without paying attention.

Mark Hennebury
10-09-2023, 9:40 PM
I think that some people are quick to jump to conclusions. The fact that she is that old and has been doing it an incredible amount of time should tell you that it is not "overly" dangerous. If it were she would have lost her fingers 50 or 60 years ago. People who work with unguarded machines tend to pay attention to what they are doing, because they are always acutely aware of the dangers. I would guess that those that can't pay attention don't usually last long in this trade. That said the rotary planer would trim your fingernails pretty fast.

Thanks, Mark. I was mistaking the nosebar for the blade, that makes more sense. As fast as the lady hogs material off those log blanks though, I am pretty sure it would take a finger down to the knuckle in short order. She didn't get to that age with all her fingers without paying attention.