PDA

View Full Version : bandsaw blade tension tip

Brian Deakin
10-08-2023, 8:26 AM
I forgot to put the tension back on my bandsaw blade and destroyed the tire on the upper wheel

Tip
If you take the tension off your bandsaw blade when not in use

Attach a piece of brightly coloured ribbon or piece of high visibility material to the blade This provides a visual reminder the blade has not been tensioned

Steve Engelschall
10-08-2023, 9:39 AM
I have a cardboard "Tension!" reminder that I stick to the table with a magnet, around the blade, whenever I un-tension (de-tension?) the blade.

glenn bradley
10-08-2023, 10:01 AM
Good reminder. Some type of super-obvious indicator can save you some grief.

Jim Becker
10-08-2023, 10:14 AM
I have a piece of fluorescent orange surveyor's tape with a magnet glued on that I put on my bandsaw in front of the "business end" when the machine is not under tension. It hangs down to just touch the table...there's no mistaking the reason. When it's under tension, I put the thing up on the spine so it doesn't get lost.

andy bessette
10-08-2023, 11:20 AM
I only de-tension the blade for a blade change. Get long life.

Alex Zeller
10-08-2023, 1:39 PM
One of the features of my Grizzle bandsaw is a key switch. Next to the tension lever I have a magnet that I hang the key on. It makes it very hard to not tension the blade before starting the saw.

Zachary Hoyt
10-08-2023, 2:08 PM
I've never had a saw with quick tensioning capability, so it's not been a problem for me. I'm sorry to hear of your tire damage. So far I have never had a problem with blades or tires from leaving the tension on all the time.

Cliff Polubinsky
10-08-2023, 5:19 PM
My Rikon won't start if the doors are open or the blade untentioned. Really like those features.

Cliff

Dave Sabo
10-12-2023, 8:44 AM
Micro switch on the tension lever - that’s a clever idea.

Tom Trees
10-12-2023, 10:03 AM
I guess it could be done on the bigger machines also, using a probing switch, like those safety ones for use on pillar drills.
Wouldn't take much to mount one which could bottom out on the plate