PDA

View Full Version : ​Thoughts - opinions - ideas - using a tapering-jig with a tabelsaw miter gauge?

Howard Rosenberg
10-07-2023, 1:29 PM
Has anyone here used a tapering-jig type of device with their tabelsaw's miter gauge?

One leg clamped flat against the miter gauge face. The other leg set to the desired angle.

I think being continuously variable would be useful. And you wouldn't need to change you miter gauge's 90-degree setup.

John TenEyck
10-07-2023, 3:25 PM
Tapering jigs typically denote small angles and best are done with a jig that slides along the rip fence. Miter jigs usually mean large angles. What you're proposing would work but would be better done in the classical way, against the rip fence. There are plenty of designs available for variable tapering jigs using the rip fence.

John

Michael Burnside
10-07-2023, 3:43 PM
I’m with John on this. It’s possible but you’ll be limited in the length of taper IMHO.

Aaron Rosenthal
10-08-2023, 9:56 PM
Personally, I would have a hard time trying to use this as described.
The base of a mitre gauge is very small and a tiny imperfection in placement or work holding could invite disaster.
I know w my workers compensation plan wouldn’t pay off for an injury if this were done incorrectly.

James Jayko
10-12-2023, 5:41 PM
No reason it wouldn’t work but…why???

Jay Aubuchon
10-13-2023, 9:25 PM
I wonder if we are not quite understanding what Howard has in mind. A quick-and-dirty sketch might help.

Richard Coers
10-13-2023, 10:18 PM
I've tapered hall table legs that are 3' long. I would never want to do that with a miter gauge.

al ladd
10-14-2023, 7:49 AM
While it's theoretically possible with the Incra miter gauges that go to 0 degrees, you're fixed in the distance to blade by the fact that a miter gauge rides in the MG groove. So it's really awkward to set up what you want. In reality the usefulness of that last 30-45 degrees of angle travel on those miter gauges in something I've found to be minimal, while it creates opportunities for very dangerous cuts.

Really simple to construct one-time taper "jigs" (more like long shims with a heel for pushing the piece through) from scrap plywood that work with the fence. Unless you're doing lots of different tapers all the time, building a variable taper jig or buying one seems to me like time or money not well spent.

Maurice Mcmurry
10-14-2023, 8:24 AM
I can imagine making a taper sled that attaches to a miter gauge. It would save the step of making T slots runners. The useable length would be limited.

mike calabrese
10-14-2023, 9:32 AM
Segmented bowl turners use a device called a wedgie sled.
the first link shows many examples, easy to make . For your purpost you would use just one fence to have total flexibility.
https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&hs=axi&sca_esv=573451013&q=wedgie+sled+plans&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiflbnV0fWBAxVwnokEHV0lAHwQ0pQJegQIDxAB&biw=1312&bih=636&dpr=1
and a super accurate version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_qUJPm_PZ8
calabrese55

Howard Rosenberg
10-15-2023, 10:43 AM
Mike Calabrese - that's the type of object I was thinking of. I was thinking continuously variable vs fixed angles but only for short angles and miters. I'd use my taper sled for long tapers etc. Thanks for this.

Bill Dufour
10-15-2023, 5:39 PM
I set my mitre gauge by placing it upside down in the mitre groove and pushing it against the front fence rail with the adjustment a little loose. Then tighten the knob. If your fence rail is 90 degrees to the mitre slot so is you mitre gauge.
BilL D