PDA

View Full Version : Bench machinist vise recommendations?

Tyler Bancroft
10-06-2023, 1:49 AM
I could use a machinist bench vise in the 4-6" range for general use. Are any of the modern ones worth the money? Irwin, Bessey, Yost? I know LV sells a couple, but not sure who they're made by. Any recommendations? I'm in an area where it's improbable to score anything locally.

James Jayko
10-06-2023, 8:15 AM
I've got one of the Jorgenson ones from a few years back, got it on sale at Woodcraft. No problems with it; would vouch.

Aaron Inami
10-06-2023, 11:05 AM
Are you looking for a woodworking vice? Or a machinist bench vice? They are different.

If you are wanting a machinist vice for extreme situations where you need to take a sledge hammer to it, I found that this video was very educational. Not sure if you are in the market for a $2k vice, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CubcmE4kt78

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdfu6ZJHYXc

If you're just looking for something to hold material for filing/drilling, the low cost vices are probably all just fine:

https://www.amazon.com/WILTON-TOOLS-General-Purpose-11106/dp/B001022GRM/

https://www.amazon.com/Forged-Steel-Bench-Vise-Fireball/dp/B0BPK21LHY?th=1

I have no direct experience with any of these vices.

James Baldwin
10-06-2023, 11:15 AM
For a machinist vice get a Wilton. I have two. One my dad bought in 1959 and one I bought in 1972. They hold up. Jim

Bill Dufour
10-06-2023, 11:49 AM
For a machinist vise make sure the screw is covered by the moving jaw slide arm. Cheap vises the screw is on top of the slide and gets coated in metal swarf. This causes jamming and premature wear.
Bill D

Michael Burnside
10-06-2023, 11:52 AM
I have this one, like it a lot. Very flexible with the rotating head for clamping round objects

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09XM36H9L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For a machinist vice, I use this one on my DP:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009E0EBF2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cameron Wood
10-06-2023, 12:21 PM
I got this Yost vise a number of years ago for the bike bench. It's 4", relatively lightweight, and was inexpensive.

Quite impressed with the quality, especially for the price. They make a whole range of sizes. The pic is from when it was new.

I've had one of the rotating head ones in the work truck forever, and it has been good. I would not hesitate to get one, maybe 5", for shop use.

Tyler Bancroft
10-06-2023, 12:58 PM
Are you looking for a woodworking vice? Or a machinist bench vice? They are different.

Sorry, my bad, a machinist vice. Edited the original post.

Zachary Hoyt
10-06-2023, 3:04 PM
I bought a Yost when my old bench vise died and have been happy with it. I use it mainly to hold brass for cutting, so fairly light duties but repetitive.

mike stenson
10-06-2023, 3:06 PM
For a machinist vice get a Wilton. I have two. One my dad bought in 1959 and one I bought in 1972. They hold up. Jim

I like Wiltons, but there are at least a couple lines now. The lower-end Wiltons are no longer made out of ductile cast iron, and the base plate is just stamped steel. If you're not going to use them to hold work for hammering, probably not a big issue.

Aaron Inami
10-06-2023, 3:15 PM
I was going to point that out. It looks like the Wilton vices have a very large range in prices for a 4" or 6" vice. I would pay very close attention to the details of how these vices are made. I assume there is a huge difference between a $165 Wilton vice that is probably close to Grizzly/Harber-Freight level tool and a $1k+ Wilton "real iron" hardened steel vice. I suppose it depends on how extreme your vice situation needs to be.

Bruce Page
10-06-2023, 3:49 PM
A lot depends on your budget. Most of the machine shops I worked in over the years had Wilton bullet vices. They are almost bulletproof but over the top expensive today. I have a very nice USA made Colombian vice I bought of of CL for $100.

mike stenson
10-06-2023, 4:40 PM
A lot depends on your budget. Most of the machine shops I worked in over the years had Wilton bullet vices. They are almost bulletproof but over the top expensive today. I have a very nice USA made Colombian vice I bought off of CL for $100.

I got all excited last week, a bullet vise on Facebook listing for $350. So I clicked on it. No it was a bunch of vises, the bullet was $1300.

Bill Dufour
10-06-2023, 6:59 PM
I got a good deal on a Record vise closeout from Lowes. Now someone bought the record name and is relabeling made in china vises. Not nearly the same quality as the English made ones.
BilL D

Stephen Rosenthal
10-09-2023, 12:16 AM
I’ve got a Charles Parker, probably between 80- 100 years old. It’s a beast. A search on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace will likely turn up a few. You won’t be sorry.

John Kananis
10-09-2023, 6:50 AM
For a machinest vise I have a mediocre old craftsman that does what i need (I'd take a wilton any day though). On my main bench, I use the older Jorgensen quick release and it's been great for decades of use (but I don't know if it's manufactured any longer and if it is, what the current build quality is) - my smaller bench is a C Christensen worth wooden screws...meh. I purchased the LV front quick release vise and the tail vise about 3 years ago to build another bench but just haven't had the time to implement. That said, by inspection only, they seem very high quality and I can't wait to "make the time" to create the new bench and install them. GL

Bruce Page
10-09-2023, 12:53 PM
Stephen, the Charles Parker vise looks stout as hell and very similar to my 4” Columbian vise with its rectangle slide.

Cameron Wood
10-09-2023, 1:09 PM
I cleaned up and sold this one for $300- probably could have gotten more...

It weighed 56 lbs.

Rich Markiewicz
10-09-2023, 1:22 PM
I have a Heinrich 4" I like. The quick release is handy

mike stenson
10-09-2023, 1:30 PM
I cleaned up and sold this one for $300- probably could have gotten more...

It weighed 56 lbs.

$300, that's a score. Very nice.

Those are a grand locally, at least.

Patty Hann
10-09-2023, 6:20 PM
I have a Wilton multipurpose 4" Wilton Vise (https://www.amazon.com/Wilton-Multi-Purpose-Opening-Throat-28844/dp/B08XVWRQMW/ref=sr_1_4?crid=17K5GE1VKEDCX&keywords=wilton+multi+purpose+4%22+vise&qid=1696889701&s=hi&sprefix=wilton+multi+purpose+4+vise%2Ctools%2C142&sr=1-4)

I like that you can turn it sideways.
I also bought the Magna Jaws for it and I think some soft jaws (They're in a box somewhere :rolleyes:...)

Phil Gaudio
10-09-2023, 9:12 PM
I'd pick up an American made vise on craigslist: they are widely available. I would not pass up a Record made in England. These will be far better than a modern vise made in china.

Here's a Craftsman that I restored a couple of years ago: these are very common on craigslist:

Tom M King
10-09-2023, 10:46 PM
The big used ones are usually pretty beat up but still functional for when you need one that big. I also like having a small one that's in good shape, so fortunately the new small ones are not as expensive as new big ones. I keep the small one bolted to a piece of plywood that can be fastened down with a C-clamp in lots of places.

mike stenson
10-09-2023, 11:17 PM
Yeah, I have a 300mm Heuer on some plywood for "light" use. I often secure it with a clamp and a holdfast. Also a solid choice. I also have a craftsman from the Columbian era.

Kyle Stiefel
10-10-2023, 10:15 AM
I have a Wilton but just for kicks and giggles, check this monster out. His videos are awesome, this is THE industrial, haha

https://fireballtool.com/products/fireball-hardtail-vise

Jim Becker
10-10-2023, 1:53 PM
Kyle, that looks something like the monster that Matt Cremona bought for his metalworking stuff. "Yuge"...

Kyle Stiefel
10-10-2023, 7:20 PM
Kyle, that looks something like the monster that Matt Cremona bought for his metalworking stuff. "Yuge"...

I will have to check it out. I didn't realize he was into that as well. You can also purchase the made in the USA version for over 3k, crazy stuff but those things are no joke.

Jim Becker
10-11-2023, 10:13 AM
Yea, I believe he got it within the last year and he's put it to good work when fixing his mini skid steer and replacing bearings, etc. I think you practically need a mini skid steer to lift the contraption!! :D

Cameron Wood
10-11-2023, 12:50 PM
Bigger isn't necessarily better. My behemoth Columbian is great for pounding, but the long handle & it's large arc are a bother for smaller, more precise work.

For the really delicate stuff, there's this: