PDA

View Full Version : SawStop CTS Cut Issue

Derek Arita
10-05-2023, 2:58 PM
I've been cutting on cabinet saws for over 30 years but downsized to a SS CTS recently. I just made a cut on a wide pine board and got this cut. I've never had this issue with cabinet saws, so I'm wondering what went wrong? I used a slow feed rate and kept the work piece tight to the fence as possible.

https://i.imgur.com/IHKnzrW.jpg

Michael Burnside
10-05-2023, 4:47 PM
Did you use a feather board? Lighter saws can "move" as you push the material through and that movement may move the workpiece independent of the saw. I'd try that and see what you get. Also double check the fence isn't flexing as you make the cut. With 30 years experience it's unlikely technique, so maybe my ideas or others can help you narrow it down.

Aaron Inami
10-06-2023, 12:59 AM
I have had instances on my old Powermatic cabinet saw where the Biesmeyer fence would flex with some pressure. On some cuts, I put a clamp behind it on the far side to prevent the fence from flexing.

Maybe lighten up on the pressure against the fence?

I looked at the Sawstop products. The fence on the Compact Table Saw does not look that substantial at all. I would not trust that for any precision cabinetry type work. The fence on the Jobsite saw is a little better, but I still would not call it a great fence. These products are probably fine for slicing construction boards or 2x4 framing onsite, but they are not precision machines.

The Sawstop Contractor saw is the lowest product that seems to have a decent fence. The T-Glide fence option is your top-end fence.

Derek Arita
10-06-2023, 9:01 AM
I have had instances on my old Powermatic cabinet saw where the Biesmeyer fence would flex with some pressure. On some cuts, I put a clamp behind it on the far side to prevent the fence from flexing.

Maybe lighten up on the pressure against the fence?

I looked at the Sawstop products. The fence on the Compact Table Saw does not look that substantial at all. I would not trust that for any precision cabinetry type work. The fence on the Jobsite saw is a little better, but I still would not call it a great fence. These products are probably fine for slicing construction boards or 2x4 framing onsite, but they are not precision machines.

The Sawstop Contractor saw is the lowest product that seems to have a decent fence. The T-Glide fence option is your top-end fence.

Aaron, I hear you, however the CTS fence is supported on the infeed and outfeed sides and is as solid as could be. I had my doubts about it as you do, but once I started using it, my opinion changed. The accuracy of cut is far better than the larger SS Jobsite Pro that I had as well, but just sold in favor of the CTS. As was mentioned earlier, I'm thinking there may have been some twist to the board that may have contributed and there may have been some other anomalies in the board that I have to check for to be sure. To my old eye, this 2x4 was straight, but I think I was mistaken.

Aaron Rosenthal
10-08-2023, 9:59 PM
At the risk of hijacking the post, where did you find a straight 2x4? LOL!!!