PDA

View Full Version : Oshlun laser guide for miter saw

andrew whicker
10-04-2023, 8:02 PM
So as I will be doing more trim work in the future I did a small upgrade and got an oshlun laser.

Here are the results. For whatever reason the laser shows up WAY better on my phone camera than in real life. Also, I have some colorblindness so red lasers have always been a nemesis of mine.

My conclusion... unless in a dark room it's basically useless for me.

Tom M King
10-04-2023, 11:14 PM
I tried another kind of miter saw laser a long time ago, but the line was too wide and the edges too fuzzy. I like a sharp no.4 pencil for trim work.

Greg Quenneville
10-05-2023, 1:39 AM
I bought lasers for my mitre saw when I started building our house, but never installed them. I have by now done quite a few miles of trim without complaint or frustration by just creeping up on the line.

Paul F Franklin
10-05-2023, 11:33 AM
I have an aftermarket laser on my dewalt sliding miter saw. Works ok but I only use it for rough cuts. When I have a bunch of precision work to do, I double stick tape a scrap of 1/4" mdf to the table and make a cut through it. Then I use the kerf for alignment by marking the edges of the stock instead of a face. Perfect alignment and provides zero clearance for the bottom of the stock as well. Sometimes I also stick a scrap to the fence to provide zero clearance for the back of the cut as well. Of course this doesn't work so well if you are changing angles a lot as you might for trim.

Josh Molaver
10-05-2023, 12:44 PM
I ended up using an LED light which projects a shadow line to cut on for my Bosch 12" miter saw - works very well and very inexpensive. Documented here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHM8K-JS-Wk&ab_channel=MakeEverything

Cary Falk
10-05-2023, 6:54 PM
I always thought lasers were too wide either on miter saws or drill presses. I have a dewalt miter saw that has an led that casts a shadow. It works better than a laser but I tend to bring the blade down to the wood to adjust before I start the cut.