PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for organizing my shop

Tony Wilkins
10-04-2023, 4:56 PM
Got space but could use help best utilize it…

Christopher Charles
10-04-2023, 5:23 PM
Nice looking bench and a nice looking space. I'd consider moving onto or along the wall on the left and organizing tools on the same wall. Here's a shot of my handtool area.

And I've become a huge fan of the tool chest on the right, which holds ~1/2 wood working and 1/2 other tools and is especially good for keeping the latter contained. Will look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Derek Cohen
10-04-2023, 7:36 PM
Tony, your immediate need is (1) a cabinet for tools, and (2) storage for wood. You might consider converting an old cabinet from a second-hand store before making simply to get stuff packed away. Building in your mess is both dangerous and likely to hide tools.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Tony Wilkins
10-04-2023, 7:48 PM
Tony, your immediate need is (1) a cabinet for tools, and (2) storage for wood. You might consider converting an old cabinet from a second-hand store before making simply to get stuff packed away. Building in your mess is both dangerous and likely to hide tools.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I’ve had a DTC that I need to finish that will help some with the tool storage. I had an on wall lumber storage system but found it hard to use with my physical weakness/limitations. I haven’t come up with a solution yet for storing it. Need a sharpening station too.

William Fretwell
10-04-2023, 9:23 PM
Christopher has a window for his bench, a true luxury. In your case the bench can come away from the walls with hand tool racks and shelves a mere turn away. Serious shelving in front of the end wall will free up lots of space. The band saw needs to back to a wall.

Todd Sebek
10-04-2023, 9:45 PM
I am a strong believer in French cleats to start with. The reason is because you can rearrange your whole shop in 30 mins. I even use them for wood storage and have never had to worry about it. I have my hand tool cabinet on them, and if I want to move it over 6” I can. Just an idea. I will have them in every shop.

Joel Gelman
10-05-2023, 1:45 AM
One suggestion is books on setting up shop and/or watching many Youtube shop tour videos to get ideas that reflect what should be your priorities for space and setup.

Scott Winners
10-05-2023, 2:06 AM
I figured out in mid July 2023 I was leaving my old shop space and was "in" at my new place in about 6 weeks. I have seen about 400 of the 14k+ small shop tours on youtube in the last couple months. The main thing is to figure out what your one central tool is (on youtube, tablesaw), put that tool in the middle, then fill in around it sensibly and thoughtfully.

Reed Gray
10-05-2023, 11:31 AM
I am finally figuring out that I should probably have one separate building just for my wood stash, and that doesn't include logs for turning stock....

robo hippy

David Carroll
10-05-2023, 11:47 AM
I've had small shops over the years. The one I am moving into this fall is basically the size of a small bedroom, about 12 x 12. It will be a hand tools only shop, my drill press and scroll saw will live in the garage. My son has a pretty well appointed woodshop about 10 miles away from me so if I had to use electrons to spin sharp things, I can do so there.

But having had several small shops in the past, here are a few ideas that have worked well for me.

1. Anything that can hang on a wall should hang on a wall. Whether it hangs off of a peg or a hook or in a purpose built cabinet on French cleats, have a place for everything, so you can tell at an instant if something is missing. I've used Cabinet Makers Chests and Dutch tool chests and I dislike them both. I like wall hanging chests or just pegs with tools hanging from them.
2. Things that you use most should hang closer than things seldom used.
3. Lumber can be stored flat, up high (I like the heavy-duty galvanized lumber racks that Lee Valley sells).
4. Make a special station for sharpening (away from your bench so it doesn't get the bench all black and dirty).
5. Have a cabinet for finishing supplies and shop chemicals.
6. Make a spot for all of your shop cleaning supplies, brooms, rags, dustpans.
7. Generally, for tool storage, I prefer that every tool has it's own spot, instead of open till arrangements where you must spend a lot of time digging through things you don't want to get to the thing you do want.

There are of course many others, but these are ideas that I have used in every shop I have ever had.

The main thing is a place for everything and everything in its place (not everything all over the place). By nature I am a sloppy worker and it takes a great deal of self discipline to put things away after I'm done using them, so I like things to hang directly over the bench (which for a small shop I recommend putting right up against the wall).

Tony Wilkins
10-05-2023, 1:54 PM
Have this to help on the wall but don’t think I’ve used it to full effect…

mike stenson
10-05-2023, 3:19 PM
I’ve had a DTC that I need to finish that will help some with the tool storage. I had an on wall lumber storage system but found it hard to use with my physical weakness/limitations. I haven’t come up with a solution yet for storing it. Need a sharpening station too.

I think you'll find that working from a chest will help with organization. At least if you put things back. I sharpen on my bench, using a boot bin to keep the mess off. Lumber storage is always a pain. I think I need a conex for that.

with that said, my shop is a right mess at the moment. I'm in the middle of moving things around, reorganizing other storage, and I have a friend doing a project in it as well. Along with a temp spray booth. Oy, I can't wait to clean it up.

Tony Wilkins
10-05-2023, 11:17 PM
Worked on the DTC for a few minutes today after I did some clean up. Thing I’m going to put the Roubo in front if the OSB wall where the Roman is now (basically swap position). Ordered some more Texas Heritage plane holders and some more Gladiator hooks to see if I can maximize my wall storage a bit more as I work out how I want to use the space most.

Still not sure about the band saw and shave horse. or the lumber storage.

steven c newman
10-06-2023, 10:54 AM
A Shop is NEVER set in stone, as tasks change....so does the shop...Depending on when you are doing LARGE Projects..or just simple Keepsake Boxes....

One could divide things up a bit...according to what tasks are done the most, as opposed to what gets done the least...Maybe "blur" the boundries at bit, as projects change.

About the time one gets everything set and lock into place....a project will come along that changes everything....One of Mr. Murphy's Infamous Laws.

Case in point...this old shelf unit needs to be replaced
Because of the addition to the shop of a Post Drill...the unit also needs to be about a foot narrower...so.Old Swayback Maru will just have to go...
The Dungeon Woodshop is always changing....as will yours....

Tony Wilkins
10-06-2023, 5:13 PM
Cleanup yesterday helped feel a little better about my space. Also know that when I get the long poplar lumber I have across two workmates cut down for the Monticello bookcases the space will be more open.

The work I did today tells me that both benches are necessary for me. The tall one is good for edge work and fits with the methods I learned on how to plane (etc). The short one helps me do things on days that my legs aren’t so good or after I have worked standing up for a bit.

Jim Koepke
10-08-2023, 4:46 PM
Have this to help on the wall but don’t think I’ve used it to full effect…

I like many of the points David made:

… here are a few ideas that have worked well for me.

2. Things that you use most should hang closer than things seldom used.

4. Make a special station for sharpening (away from your bench so it doesn't get the bench all black and dirty).

7. Generally, for tool storage, I prefer that every tool has it's own spot, instead of open till arrangements where you must spend a lot of time digging through things you don't want to get to the thing you do want.

The main thing is a place for everything and everything in its place (not everything all over the place). By nature I am a sloppy worker

What I see in your pictures Tony, is things taking up more space than is needed. A block of wood with holes drilled in it can hold your screwdrivers in less space. Almost all of my screwdrivers are kept in drawers.

Drawers are good for holding many things like small tools and hardware. One of my medium sized drawers holds five different twist drill indexes, a doweling guide and some scrapers.

A smaller drawer holds my most frequently used compass & dividers.

My chisels, planes, saws and boring tools are all about equal distance from my bench. Those are the tools used the most.

Making shelves and drawers is woodworking 101. It will also be good practice for future projects.

There are two "special stations" for sharpening in my shop. One is for water stones the other for oilstones. One should suffice for most woodworkers. Having a permanent sharpening station makes it easier to touch up a blade instead of continuing with one that is getting dull.

A place for everything and everything in its place is a well proven habit of successful workers in many fields.

jtk

steven c newman
10-08-2023, 8:25 PM
This look any better?
Narrower shelf unit..stores all the larger items
And...once the overhead light bulb got replaced...even more light was added..

Tony Wilkins
10-09-2023, 4:43 PM
First thing I ordered arrived today and most of it will be here by tomorrow. I’ll continue with building the DTC and using the gladiator stuff until I decide if I like working out of a chest or off the wall (hey now enough of that). Once I do, I’ll either build supplementary chest storage for tools that don’t fit/accessories or better wall storage*.

* I’d hate to spend a lot of time on building things for the wall and find I like the chest better.

Tony Wilkins
10-10-2023, 1:19 PM
Put up some of what I had around…

and worked a little on the DTC…
went from chopping along with a chisel to sawing out the side of the dado and preferred that method.

Jim Koepke
10-10-2023, 3:35 PM
A few thoughts:

The hangers for hand planes always make me nervous. Lately there have been TV ads for a product insurance company with the tag line of "Everything Breaks." Yes, one of the laws of physics is to factor in wear or breakage from stress. (it may just be my own law, so if you are a Physics Major please don't tell me how this isn't in any of the books or studies)

One suggestion often rendered is for the bench to be against a wall. This doesn't work for me because my sawing is often done on top f the bench and the saw would be bumping the wall all the time. Also, both sides of my tail vise are useful to me. Being against the wall would make that impossible for one side to be used much.

Having the bench away from the wall kind of negates the idea of hanging tools on the wall behind the bench.

Sometimes there is an advantage in being able to work from both sides of the bench.

Some people love their tool well, other people hate having a tool well. To each their own.

My liking shelves and drawers for storing things was mentioned earlier. The space can be doubled by having doors with storage, for lighter tools included on the doors.

One way of thinking is how to conveniently store the most tools in the least amount of space. Look at the Studley Toolbox.

It was supposedly designed to allow any tool to be accessed and removed with one hand. The most often used tools are the easiest to remove and at the front.

Here is a link to Studley inspired boxes > https://rainfordrestorations.com/2014/09/25/studley-inspired-tool-cabinets/

jtk

Tony Wilkins
10-10-2023, 8:00 PM
Jim, I had my bench against the wall you can see behind it but the extra long boards I've been working with made me pull it out. My thought about wall hanging storage is that it will be behind me with the bench in front of me. As far as the plane hangers, I will try to keep something under them. However, I’ve had them a while and have never had a problem. Has anyone used them with an LV large router plane though? See them with Stanley/LN large router planes on the website but not sure about it with LV’s angled knobs.

David Zor
10-10-2023, 8:49 PM
Jim, I had my bench against the wall you can see behind it but the extra long boards I've been working with made me pull it out. My thought about wall hanging storage is that it will be behind me with the bench in front of me. As far as the plane hangers, I will try to keep something under them. However, I’ve had them a while and have never had a problem. Has anyone used them with an LV large router plane though? See them with Stanley/LN large router planes on the website but not sure about it with LV’s angled knobs.

I'm leery of hanging anything with much weight on the wall. Right now I've got my panel saws and draw knives on the wall, but there's a counter right below them and nothing on a hook or peg weighs much over a pound. To each their own on this though, I just wouldn't have any piece of mind with anything iron hanging from a single fastener.

Tony Wilkins
10-12-2023, 2:01 PM
Put up the new plane hangers and a dovetail marker holder that I’ve had forever. Also worked on the board.

Carl Beckett
10-15-2023, 8:44 PM
Davids list echos some of my own experiences, having had some pretty small shops and currently making do quite nicely on one side of a two car garage.

I tend to like the main bench away from the wall. Wall space is valuable, but I put most all of my tools in drawers - for me this has been more space efficient but I lack the wall space, and clamps take up a fair bit of what I do have. All but one bench has drawers under it. Lumber up high or overhead where possible (overhead space is often overlooked). I do have two solvent cabinets where the flammables go. Sheet goods are always tricky for me and for the most part sheets get stacked along a wall (and I just have to remember whats underneath each other)

I tend to align my equipment and work space in 'lanes'. Wasnt intentional, but has just turned out that way.

Some paint the walls white to help with reflected light.

Tony Wilkins
10-16-2023, 5:48 PM
Related question: still trying to find a home for my bench grinder - how are those little single pole stands that a grinder bolts on top of? What is anyone’s solution to where your grinder lives?

Jim Koepke
10-16-2023, 6:08 PM
Related question: still trying to find a home for my bench grinder - how are those little single pole stands that a grinder bolts on top of? What is anyone’s solution to where your grinder lives?

My father had one and it worked fine. Though the grinder and the pedestal were made to be together. His was also a high speed grinder at 3600 rpm.

For my powered sharpening system a small bench (less than 2'X2') was made out of 2X4s and 2X6s.

A shelf has been added below for storage.

jtk

mike stenson
10-16-2023, 6:22 PM
My grinder is on a pedestal, mostly because it saves floor space (it's pushed next to a post). Works fine, but more importantly is right near the bench.

Tony Wilkins
10-19-2023, 2:56 PM
Moved benches around yesterday. Was going to do some out there today but needs must drew me to other activities less enjoyable. Still haven’t thought about where to put the bandsaw and lumber.

George Yetka
10-19-2023, 4:26 PM
An assembly table with drawers both sides or drawers and cubbies will get a lot off the floor. And put some wheels on it so you can move it around easy. This will keep your bench nice. You can also build sharpening into it.

Aside from that the lawn mower is green you can leave it outside :D

Tony Wilkins
10-20-2023, 1:26 PM
Harbor Freight grinder pedestal assembled. Surprisingly sturdy. Need to figure out what bolts to mount the grinder to it with. Got a Lee Valley saw holder and it’s on the wall. Now to get to work…

Tom Bender
10-21-2023, 5:18 AM
When designing drawers measure their usefulness in square feet of interior space. Depth is the enemy. This chest gives me almost 100 sq ft and uses less than 7 sq ft.

Having the workbench in the center word best for me.

Maurice Mcmurry
10-21-2023, 8:50 AM
Depth is the enemy.

What an excellent chest! I made the mistake of making too many too deep drawers. If they hold more than one layer of tools or supplies you have to rummage through to find what you are looking for. Mine very quickly become catch all collectors. It's frustrating.
I like a bench in the middle, or at least one bench somewhere that is open on all four sides.