PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good deal on the Jet Mini?

Gary Herrmann
02-02-2006, 8:15 PM
My wife keeps asking about pens. I got the Rockler flyer today and it has a Jet Mini (non vs which bugs me a bit) plus a Nova chuck for $330 (minus $25 rebate).

Is the VS worth the extra $$? I do have a vs dp, so I'm spoiled there. And is the nova chuck even necessary or is it overkill? They say $99 value.

Thanks guys

Jim Dunn
02-02-2006, 8:48 PM
Gary, any tool is a good buy when it comes to a lathe! But, what with the Collinsville show around the corner couldn't you do better there?

Gary Herrmann
02-02-2006, 8:56 PM
Dunno, Jim. I've only bought little things at the show. I guess its worth a shot.

Jim Dunn
02-02-2006, 10:21 PM
Can't hurt to wait as I see it. Course I've already got a lathe too.:p Hard to keep that addiction under control till you actually start using it.:rolleyes:

I lyed:eek::eek: Once SWMBO offers the least bit of interest you better take as orders and buy buy buy:D:D

Bill Stevener
02-02-2006, 10:23 PM
Hi Gary,

I strongly suggest you shop around and not via. a catalog if you can.

Posting this, some may be in disbelief, however I purchased a Jet mini vs new in the box which included the Nova midi chuck this past December, abut two weeks before Christmas, flat out for $350.00 and got the $25.00 rebate on top of that. This was from a local dealer, which I have dealt with for about 15 years. You may or may not find a vs at that price, but they are around a lot cheaper. I own 3 vs lathes today and hope to never go back to non vs. I am forever changing the rpm's.

So far I am very pleased with the Jet mini, for its intended use.

Good luck in your search, you weigh the good value end.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Corey Hallagan
02-03-2006, 12:12 AM
I like my lathe but if I would have had the amount of money you have available to spend, I would have opted for VS and got a good chuck later. Changing speeds on most minis isn't hard at all, just a pain/time delay and as far as turning pens, I think the VS will earn it's keep more in sanding and finishing than when turning. Maybe I am wrong though.

Corey

John Hart
02-03-2006, 8:06 AM
Yup...although the non-vs is touted to be a very fine machine, if you are accustomed to VS, I would think that you would consider it a bit more cumbersome to go with non-vs.....but then, I hear it's not that big a deal. Dunno...everyone is different.

Ron Ainge
02-03-2006, 1:10 PM
the Jet mini non-vs normally sell at $279, the chuck sells for $99.

the Jet mini vs sells for about $350 to $370.

I have the VS and I love it, I also have that chuck and two to two others. all have different jaws on them and I use one of them on almost everything that I turn.

If the prices are the same in your area then you are getting the chuck for about $30 and that is a good deal. A better deal is to see if your local dealer would give you the same discount on the VS with the chuck.

Jim Bell
02-03-2006, 4:22 PM
Hi Gary, I have 3 lathes, a Delta midi, a Powermatic 3520 and a Carbe-Tec 4 SE mini lathe. I bought my lathes in the order listed above so please understand what I am about to say has nothing to do with money. If you are never going to turn anything larger than a pen the carba-tec is as good as any. It is variable speed 400- 4400 which is a real benefit. For pens it has plenty of power as well as speed. Now the bad news. It has a# 1 morse taper, when it arrives take it completely apart. I mean everything. Remove the motor, the head stock, tailstock, spindle, bearings. everything. Clean every part completely and reassemble, taking care to tighten all nuts, bolts, and screws. The lathe is now ready to operate. It will be quiet smooth and reliable. The Delta was great out of the box, but just too small. The powermatic, what can I say it does it all. I use all 3 lathes on a regular basis. I would probably not buy a new delta because of recent failures and reported problems w/ replacement parts. ( mine is 3 yrs old) The jet is a good piece for larger work (and pens)
Jim

Bernie Weishapl
02-03-2006, 11:08 PM
Gary I have a Delta Midi non-vs. It really doesn't bother me. It takes 15 to 20 seconds for me to change the belt. No big deal. I am not a production shop so 30 seconds doesn't mean anything to me. Just my thoughts.