PDA

View Full Version : Harvey

Derik Bjorklund
09-30-2023, 4:24 PM
It seems like more and more Harvey is becoming the latest flavor of the month. I see a lot of popular DIY sites that have typically had Saw Stop products displayed in their videos all of a sudden have Harvey products front and center.

Is there a financial incentive for this or is Harvey just providing a better product?

Jim Koepke
09-30-2023, 4:45 PM
My first thought was you were brining up the subject of an old Jimmy Stewart movie. After all there is a thread going about Alfred Hitchcock movies. Jimmy Stewart was mentioned since he was in four of them.

Had never heard of the machinery company. Googled them and the pictures looked nice.

jtk

Derik Bjorklund
09-30-2023, 6:01 PM
My first thought was you were brining up the subject of an old Jimmy Stewart movie. After all there is a thread going about Alfred Hitchcock movies. Jimmy Stewart was mentioned since he was in four of them.

Had never heard of the machinery company. Googled them and the pictures looked nice.

jtk

Well if their mascot was a giant imaginary rabbit it would all fit together.

Zachary Hoyt
09-30-2023, 6:14 PM
Harvey would be a great mascot. All you would need to represent him would be a hat with ear holes that you held in your hand, so it would be much nicer than having to dress up in a chicken costume or something.

Derik Bjorklund
09-30-2023, 6:18 PM
Harvey would be a great mascot. All you would need to represent him would be a hat with ear holes that you held in your hand, so it would be much nicer than having to dress up in a chicken costume or something.

Might be hard to demonstrate the micro-adjust features with those paws, but certainly entertaining.

Bruce Page
09-30-2023, 6:24 PM
Back on topic..
From what I have read here on the forum Harvey is innovative and providing a good product. Most, if not all comments have been positive.

Derik Bjorklund
09-30-2023, 6:39 PM
Back on topic..
From what I have read here on the forum Harvey is innovative and providing a good product. Most, if not all comments have been positive.

I really like the blade guard option they have for the table saw. Much greater incentive to use it. Unfortunately it costs quite a bit when not on sale.

Jim Becker
09-30-2023, 7:34 PM
Industry players change over time. My understanding is that Harvey has done a lot of contract manufacturing over the years and made the move to sell directly awhile back. Their products garner good comments and they actually answer the phone when there is a question or a request to honor a better sale price. As an aside, they also own the Bridge City brand and from all appearances, the quality remains the same as was always expected.

Derek Cohen
09-30-2023, 8:54 PM
Industry players change over time. My understanding is that Harvey has done a lot of contract manufacturing over the years and made the move to sell directly awhile back. Their products garner good comments and they actually answer the phone when there is a question or a request to honor a better sale price. As an aside, they also own the Bridge City brand and from all appearances, the quality remains the same as was always expected.

When you think Laguna, think Harvey. Harvey have been the manufacturers for some of the players known for quality machines., and for a good many years now.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Richard Coers
10-01-2023, 12:03 AM
Of course there is an incentive for YouTube influencers to switch. Very likely, free or very highly discounted machinery unless they say otherwise.

Aaron Inami
10-01-2023, 12:23 AM
In my opinion, Harvey has been delivering some very high quality competitively priced products. Sawstop is great, but if can't afford the cost for the blade safety protection, the Harvey machines are significantly cheaper and still excellent quality. I chose the Harvey cast iron router table top and fence system when I did my router table build and the end result is absolutely excellent (better than any other router table/fence on the market). Michael Burnside commented that the Harvey sliding table add-on was actually a little bit better built than the SawStop version:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?302334-Harvey-ST-1500-Sliding-Table-question&p=3274706#post3274706

One thing I have noticed with Harvey is that they have been evolving and re-inventing the way that machines and tools are designed. New features that work differently and better than the traditional way companies have been machine stuff (like the table saw fences, miter gauges, etc. etc.). Obviously, they are targeting the mid-level market, so you if you are looking for a super heavy duty machine, it is not Harvey. But I think they are delivering excellent products for their target audience.

Kent A Bathurst
10-01-2023, 1:37 PM
Comments on their tech support & customer service?

Jim Becker
10-01-2023, 7:39 PM
Comments on their tech support & customer service?
I have had good interactions with both CS and TS but to be fair, it was only one 'o each...

Robert Mayer
10-02-2023, 2:27 PM
I just finally got my new 3hp Harvey tablesaw all setup, upgrading from a 20 year old Grizzly and I gotta say its really excellent. The saw needed zero adjustment out of the box, which is crazy. Table extensions needed no shims, and I didnt have to adjust the blade, miter slot, or fence. I really like the dual fence, dust collection, and it was very well packaged. $3200 delivered. There is a reason its getting attention, its because they deserve it.

Geoff Crimmins
10-04-2023, 8:53 PM
One well-known woodworker on Youtube mentioned in the comments to one of his videos that he switched from a Sawtop to Harvey table saw because Harvey sent him one for free. So it sounds like they may be spending part of their advertising budget that way.

Derek Cohen
10-05-2023, 10:14 AM
Harvey have been selling their table saws in Oz for quite some years, and they have built a reputation without the need for advertising.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Michael Rutman
10-09-2023, 9:55 AM
Harvey used to OEM their stuff. Now they both OEM and sell the same stuff with their brand. I've bought a few things from Harvey both OEM and direct and find the Harvey branded stuff a bit better.

However, I find the Harvey customer support insanely great. Multiple email exchanges on the same day, quick to get on the phone, actually fix my problem, etc. I think they also have an outreach program but I don't see it advertised. I try to avoid Chinese manufacturing, but I make an exception for Harvey. I wouldn't say it's quality is as high as Festool or my Hammer, but it isn't that far below it, and it's a lot cheaper.

Todd Zucker
10-09-2023, 8:51 PM
I have a Harvey G700 and paid for it. Makes me smile every time I use it. One experience with customer service was great.

Phil Gaudio
10-09-2023, 8:57 PM
I will mention that Harvey is a chinese based company: this impacts the buying decision for some of us.

Curt Harms
10-10-2023, 9:50 AM
I will mention that Harvey is a chinese based company: this impacts the buying decision for some of us.

How much of mainstream 'traditional' woodworking machinery doesn't come from the Far East? What doesn't come from the Far East comes from Europe. Northfield is the only American manufacturer that comes to mind. Also keep in mind that China and Taiwan while both Chinese are not the same.

Phillip Mitchell
10-10-2023, 1:39 PM
The only machineryf in my shop that is of Chinese / Taiwanese origin is a used Powermatic dust collector that I happened to find locally for a very cheap price. Everything else is *used* and from either Europe, USA, or Japan, which is a higher level of quality control than China/Taiwan generally. When talking about new tools, yes, Northfield is one of the few American manufacturers of a variety of woodworking machinery, but buying used opens up so many options for higher quality tools from places other than the Far East, and often for better prices.

I will also say that Taiwanese and Chinese manufacturers are completely capable of producing top of the line quality control and manufacturing…that’s just not what they are typically being paid to produce as the market isn’t really there for it compared to the hobbyist grade quality level and price point.

From what I’ve seen Harvey is little different in quality control than the rest of the Taiwanese / Chinese-made prosumer grade machines (Powermatic, Grizzly, Jet, Laguna, etc)

Patty Hann
10-10-2023, 2:57 PM
How much of mainstream 'traditional' woodworking machinery doesn't come from the Far East? What doesn't come from the Far East comes from Europe. Northfield is the only American manufacturer that comes to mind. Also keep in mind that China and Taiwan while both Chinese are not the same.
But Harvey is definitely "made in China" and not "made in Taiwan."

Pat Germain
10-10-2023, 3:32 PM
I did a lot research about Harvey when I was looking for a new table saw. I was going to buy one, but I had enough money to get a SawStop and went with that. Mrs. Pat liked the safety feature and I was able to pick it up from my local Woodcraft store. But Harvey does appear to be a very good option for power tools. I know people always say you can get great, American Made used machines, but in my area, those sell for full retail and still get scarfed up almost immediately. I think the local tool vendors are the ones who show up waving cash 90 seconds after the ad is posted. One such vendor bought an air compressor I was selling years ago. He was happy to pay what I was asking because he was going to turn it around for a much higher price. Seems like vintage woodworking machines are getting to be like vintage Hi Fi equipment; more expensive than new with less features and no warranty.

Wes Grass
10-11-2023, 12:26 PM
Years back, on some forum, there were comments about China being not capable of making high quality products. I made a comment that they had put men in space, and you *can't* do that by making junk.

I was 'shocked' when someone posted 'the Chinese have put men in space? When did that happen?'

???????

And I think .... no, I *know* I'm uninformed.

mike stenson
10-11-2023, 12:29 PM
It's all about the QA.

Most consumers aren't willing to pay what it would cost for manufacturing in 'developed economies'

Patrick Johnson
12-31-2023, 1:38 AM
I just added the Harvey Cast Iron router table, fence, and dust collector setup to my cabinet saw. Wow...it's very nice! Harvey has some very cool and innovative designs.

Rod Sheridan
12-31-2023, 8:48 AM
One well-known woodworker on Youtube mentioned in the comments to one of his videos that he switched from a Sawtop to Harvey table saw because Harvey sent him one for free. So it sounds like they may be spending part of their advertising budget that way.

Do you think if I promised to make YouTube videos that Martin would send me a jointer, planer and shaper??😛😛

I might go for that.

Regards, Rod

jack duren
12-31-2023, 9:02 AM
Harvey about the price or the product?

Brian Ross
01-01-2024, 5:39 PM
I have seen their display at the last Vegas Woodworking show. They appear to have a quality product and one feature that impressed me was the preset stops on their rip fence. IIRC there was 4 stops on the rail that you could place at positions of your choice. Excellent for those of us that rip a lot of sheet goods to build kitchens.

Brian

Phil Gaudio
01-01-2024, 5:43 PM
I have seen their display at the last Vegas Woodworking show. They appear to have a quality product and one feature that impressed me was the preset stops on their rip fence. IIRC there was 4 stops on the rail that you could place at positions of your choice. Excellent for those of us that rip a lot of sheet goods to build kitchens.

Brian

And yet, if you make a mistake, your fingers/hand are toast.

mike stenson
01-01-2024, 6:01 PM
And yet, if you make a mistake, your fingers/hand are toast.

True of most saws.

Warren Lake
01-01-2024, 6:14 PM
and 30 other machines.

Past machines not only bit you but they could throw knives at you. You are lucky for the nanny state, its safer now.

Phil Gaudio
01-01-2024, 6:14 PM
True of most saws.

And yet, not the Sawstop.

mike stenson
01-01-2024, 6:15 PM

Different thread.

Bruce Page
01-01-2024, 7:22 PM

Folks, let’s not get into a Sawstop vs the world debate. We’ve been down that road before.