PDA

View Full Version : Stave core door construction question

Daniel Bejarano
09-29-2023, 12:34 PM
Hi,

I have built frame and panel doors with stave core before but all of them have been interior doors. The one I am building now is an entry door for a house, with a glass panel, built out of Ash.

The door is 79" long by x 36" wide. Styles and top rail are 4.75" wide. Bottom rail is 9" wide. I'm stave coring the styles and very inclined to do so with the rails.

I wouldn't be concerned about stave coring the rails if the door were much more narrower than 36" and maybe not exposed to the elements.

I would appreciate any suggestions or input

Jamie Buxton
09-29-2023, 1:27 PM
You might consider LVLs for the core. That’s what a door shop near me does.

Mel Fulks
09-29-2023, 1:28 PM
I wouldn’t stave core the rails for any ‘more gooder-ness’ …unless you just want to. I’ve made lots of doors ,some 10 feet all …and I’m
only 6’- 2 !

John TenEyck
09-29-2023, 5:23 PM
You might consider LVLs for the core. That’s what a door shop near me does.

I think that's a special grade of LVL, Jamie.

John

John TenEyck
09-29-2023, 5:31 PM
I've only built a few exterior doors. I used stave core for all of them and used it for both the stiles and rails. It kept things simple for my workflow. It takes a LOT more time to do stave core construction compared to using solid wood, so it's not a great option for a production shop unless that's what they're set up for, but it makes no difference for those of us who don't have to earn a living from working wood. (Thank goodness; I'd starve.)

If you can get uniform rift or quartersawn lumber in the species you want to use, then solid wood is faster and less complicated. I'd have no concerns using solid wood for the rails you have. People make much larger doors than you're building using solid wood. It's all about how stable it is.

John

Jamie Buxton
09-29-2023, 5:38 PM
I think that's a special grade of LVL, Jamie.

John

Special in what way?

John TenEyck
09-29-2023, 7:59 PM
Special in what way?

Specifically made for stave core doors, not construction grade. Maybe no wax on/in it. I can't remember the particulars, but I suspect Joe Calhoun knows.

John

Warren Lake
09-29-2023, 8:32 PM
Joe has past posted many different types of cores, its worth looking up.

One door maker up here bought pre made pine stave cores finger jointed together in sections. Al the doors I looked at there were very straight. Full time bus making doors and windows for 35 years. Closed for a six figure job at a window company and no more self employed stress

Daniel Bejarano
09-30-2023, 12:10 AM
I am sorry who is Joe ?

John Pendery
09-30-2023, 8:41 AM
I am sorry who is Joe ?

Joe Calhoon. He posts here from time to time and when he does it’s with more knowledge and experience than most of us will ever gain.

Kevin Jenness
09-30-2023, 8:46 AM
Joe Calhoon is a pro doormaker who posts here occasionally, very knowledgeable and experienced.

Stave core is a reliable method for making flat doors if you can't get stable real wood in the desired thickness, but it is considerably more work than using solid lumber and does not necessarily produce a better door. You have to buy or make and lay up your stave core and face veneers as well as edgebanding the parts with thick enough stock for the sticking. There are are a number of options for core materials. When I was employed we used to buy 4x8 sheets of fingerjointed white pine. There is at least one supplier (Wolf Lumber in PA I think) who offers custom stave core door components using almost any face species.