PDA

View Full Version : Multi-piece Crown & Dental / Dentil crown molding

andrew whicker
09-28-2023, 10:39 AM
Hola and good morning,

I had a customer send me a photo of the classic library look. In the photo is Dental crown molding.

When doing multi piece crown, are you gluing the different sticks of crowns together at your shop and doing the coping / cutting on site?

When doing Dental how are you ensuring the squares line up in the corners? I'm almost wondering if the entire crown should be installed and the dental added last to make lining them up easier?

Thanks much and cheers!

andrew whicker
09-28-2023, 11:47 AM
I think because the shape will be 45 degrees, vertical (dentil), 45 degrees that I will make some backing for the upper piece. Install the upper crown like normal. Install a vertical flat piece. Install bottom crown like normal. Add dentil last.

I don't think there will be too many corners, but this will make matching the dentil easier.

andrew whicker
09-28-2023, 12:45 PM

I'm verifying w/ the millworks vendor, but it looks like this crown is made for dentil to be added after install. So this solves a lot of my issues if so.

Richard Coers
09-28-2023, 3:20 PM
Depends on the molding size and the size of you miter saw. When I stack moldings, I like to rip a rabbet on the edge of the the stock to have a hard location for all the pieces to bump against. I glue up as much as I can in the shop so I can clamp it and minimize face nailing. Paint grade, not so necessary.

lou Brava
09-29-2023, 3:31 PM
I've always bought 1 piece dental crown molding, only used it on 3 different jobs is there a good reason to to do it in separate pieces ? I always made sure and lined up the inside and outside corners so it split the dental part right down the middle it made for a bit more waste but it sure looks good done that way. But in the end probably very few people would ever notice it. The only downside to lining up the lining up the dental on inside corner is it's very hard to cope it so I just cut miters & if you have 2 outside corners in the same plane you'll have to pick the side that probably will not line up. Other than that I found no harder to install than normal crown molding.