PDA

View Full Version : DC Tank

Rob Will
02-02-2006, 6:48 PM
31008(Here's my first attempt at posting a pic.)
In a recent post about an outside DC setup, we discussed the possibility of using an old cone bottom feed tank such as this. Any suggestions for modifying a tank like this? How should the chip cleanout be configured?
(1800 cfm entering the tank from an 8" pipe).
Thanks,
Rob

tod evans
02-03-2006, 7:27 AM
rob, i`d raise the unit up so you can get a trailer under it unless you have an auger handy? the standard slide most of these come with should be fine for emptying.( no need for a rotary set up) be sure to install an umbrella on top, if sawdust gets wet it`s a bugger to get out! you might consider some way to jar the cakes loose when you`re emptying it? an old sash weight used like a bell clapper is the first thing that comes to mind..02 tod

Rob Will
02-03-2006, 10:21 AM
I suppose the next question is wheter or not to allow chips to accumulate in the tank. If not, then it is basically a chip separator or even perhaps a weak cyclone. From what I gather from Bill Pentz and others is that an 1800 cfm cyclone needs to be about 30" in diameter. The feed tank is abot 72" dia. - way big but it can be vented outside.

I could install a separate dust bin below with a cleanout door, or raise the tank to accomodate a trailer.

All ideas are very much appreciated.

Rob

tod evans
02-03-2006, 10:28 AM
I suppose the next question is wheter or not to allow chips to accumulate in the tank. If not, then it is basically a chip separator or even perhaps a weak cyclone. From what I gather from Bill Pentz and others is that an 1800 cfm cyclone needs to be about 30" in diameter. The feed tank is abot 72" dia. - way big but it can be vented outside.

I could install a separate dust bin below with a cleanout door, or raise the tank to accomodate a trailer.

All ideas are very much appreciated.

Rob

rob, i figured your intention was to let the chips accumulate in the tank? if not a bin underneath would work, or just let it pile up and use your loader to move the pile..it`s venting outdoors so really the only issue is how badly do you want to hide the sawdust? wet sawdust with a snow shovel and wet sawdust with a loader are two different things:) .02 tod