PDA

View Full Version : New innovative Laguna 1412 snafu

timothy snider
09-27-2023, 3:11 PM
Well I cetainly screwed the pooch yesterday, as some people might say.
I put a 3/4" blade on my 14112 yesterday to resaw a 11" wide board. Everything was going swell until I started hearing a loud noise.
I stopped the saw and looked. The tire on the top wheel had started to come off and had rubbed against something in the frame and had gotten frayed.
I've ordered new tires. The only thing I can think of is that I had to much tension on the blade and was pushing the walnut thru the blade to fast.
Any ideas? New and novel?

lou Brava
09-27-2023, 4:55 PM
Did you check the tension on blade and made sure it ran true prior to starting to cut with it ? If tension was correct and it ran true prior to cutting than that's not the problem. Also with guides above and below cutting area I couldn't imagine to "fast" of a feed rate would move blade of the tire. I reasw with a 14" Laguna SUV and use a 3/4 blade no problems ever. You didn't say how old the saw is maybe tires just gave out. In any case a properly set up 14" laguna band saw will have no problem with a 3/4" blade & resawing.
Good Luck !

Robert Hayward
09-27-2023, 6:19 PM
Do not own a Laguna but have had similar problems with two Powermatics. Tech support told me to replace the tires, they were past their useful life. New tires fixed the problem both times.

In my case the tires did not get chewed up or even marked up. The top one would not stay on the wheel. Tires looked good as new, just would not stay on the wheel.

Richard Coers
09-27-2023, 6:44 PM
I'd suspect too much heat in the blade soften your tires. I'd really be surprised that a 14" bandsaw can properly tension a 3/4" blade. I'm sure you had some slippage between the tire and the blade. A 1/2" blade will resaw an 11" board quite well if it's sharp and feed speed is slow enough for the blade to clear out the sawdust. Most people tend to force the board through the blade. Just push it easily and let the blade do the work.

timothy snider
09-28-2023, 8:01 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I never thought to look at condition of the tires. I may have (wrongly) assumed that the tension of a 3/4" wide blade had to be really cranked up in to not to get a barrel cut.

Jack Frederick
09-28-2023, 10:33 AM
Things happen in a hurry. I was running a 1/2” Woodmizer blade on my Laguna 14 BX cutting a 12” circle out of 1” walnut. Thought it might be to much blade, but it was cutting smoothly and I was most of the way through when kaboom. The blade bit into the throat plate. The tire was grooved the width of the blade and basically melted. The problem: aside the operator, the upper guide shifted all the way back letting the blade deflect into the throat plate. I’m careful with these guides as the thumb screws can be difficult to tighten sufficiently for me. I ordered new tires and throat plate from Laguna. Laguna are, or were, out of tires. “We have a very large order in for them. We have no idea when they will arrive.” I ordered a set of aftermarket tires and they were impossible for me to get on the wheels. Called Laguna back and they had a saw returned due to shipping damage and they pulled those tires and sent them to me. Two months later, I got the saw back up yesterday. I can change a blade in about 5 min and I won’t “try it” again.

lou Brava
09-28-2023, 11:39 AM
I'd suspect too much heat in the blade soften your tires. I'd really be surprised that a 14" bandsaw can properly tension a 3/4" blade. I'm sure you had some slippage between the tire and the blade. A 1/2" blade will resaw an 11" board quite well if it's sharp and feed speed is slow enough for the blade to clear out the sawdust. Most people tend to force the board through the blade. Just push it easily and let the blade do the work.

Not sure why you'd be surprised at a Laguna 14" being able to properly tension a 3/4 blade ? Laguna specs say that saw will handle a 1" blade. I have 2 3/4" Resaw King blades & one is always sharp, I have resawen thousands of linear fT. using 3/4 baldes with very accuarte & clean cuts. Anyway I'm sure theres 14" saws that will not tension a 3/4" blade but the Laguna isn't one of em. I can easily over tension a 3/4 blade on that saw.

Paul Saffold
09-29-2023, 8:24 AM
Jack, with arthritis I've had trouble getting those knobs tight enough to hold. I replaced them with button head cap screws. The allen wrench lets me tighten them so they don't come loose. Not my idea. Might have seen it here on the creek or youtube.

Jack Frederick
09-29-2023, 9:58 AM
Paul, I’m on my way to the hardware store this morning. It is tight in there so will take a bit of finnagalin’. Thank you for the suggestion.

Paul Saffold
09-29-2023, 10:26 AM
5/16-18 and 1/4-20 meant to include that.

John TenEyck
09-29-2023, 10:45 AM
Not sure why you'd be surprised at a Laguna 14" being able to properly tension a 3/4 blade ? Laguna specs say that saw will handle a 1" blade. I have 2 3/4" Resaw King blades & one is always sharp, I have resawen thousands of linear fT. using 3/4 baldes with very accuarte & clean cuts. Anyway I'm sure theres 14" saws that will not tension a 3/4" blade but the Laguna isn't one of em. I can easily over tension a 3/4 blade on that saw.

That saw looks pretty light duty to me. Laguna says it can take a maximum 3/4" blade, not 1". I think you'd want to stick with a Resaw King or other blade made with 0.025" thick band stock if trying to run a 3/4" blade. The OP didn't say what 3/4" blade he was using, but Lennox 3/4" blades, for example, are 0.032" thick, so it takes 28% greater force to tension it to the same value. Beyond that, with only 1-3/4 hp, it doesn't have much power for heavy resawing. To me, a 1/2" x 3 tpi blade seems like a better fit with that saw.

John

lou Brava
09-29-2023, 11:14 AM
That saw looks pretty light duty to me. Laguna says it can take a maximum 3/4" blade, not 1". I think you'd want to stick with a Resaw King or other blade made with 0.025" thick band stock if trying to run a 3/4" blade. The OP didn't say what 3/4" blade he was using, but Lennox 3/4" blades, for example, are 0.032" thick, so it takes 28% greater force to tension it to the same value. Beyond that, with only 1-3/4 hp, it doesn't have much power for heavy resawing. To me, a 1/2" x 3 tpi blade seems like a better fit with that saw.

John

Oh, mines a Laguna 14" with a 3hp motor & the spec/owners manual states it's good for a 1" blade. The saw is not light duty I thought the OP's saw was the same. Here's the spec.
Specifications

Motor: 3HP.
Volt: 220 1 phase.
Recommended Breaker: 30 Amp.
Min-Max blade width: 1/8”-1”
Resaw Capacity: 14”
Throat: 13 ¼”
Blade Length: 125"
Foot-Break With Micro

John TenEyck
09-29-2023, 1:12 PM
Oh, mines a Laguna 14" with a 3hp motor & the spec/owners manual states it's good for a 1" blade. The saw is not light duty I thought the OP's saw was the same. Here's the spec.
Specifications

Motor: 3HP.
Volt: 220 1 phase.
Recommended Breaker: 30 Amp.
Min-Max blade width: 1/8”-1”
Resaw Capacity: 14”
Throat: 13 ¼”
Blade Length: 125"
Foot-Break With Micro

Yeah, different saw with different specs.

John