PDA

View Full Version : Vintage clock repair online service?

Bruce Page
09-27-2023, 12:05 AM
I have a 74 year old Enfield mantel clock that needs some attention. It probably needs nothing more than a good cleaning, oiling, and adjusting. The clock itself is nothing too special but it was given to my grandfather on his retirement in 1949. The shop I used to use is no longer in business and there’s not much left in town except for a few pawn shops.

Anyway, has anyone used an online repair service? Opinions?

Charlie Velasquez
09-27-2023, 12:22 AM
Butterworth Clocks, Inc
Very well regarded, but I am unsure of his online repair status as I live in his town of business.

Patty Hann
09-27-2023, 7:42 AM
I have a 74 year old Enfield mantel clock that needs some attention. It probably needs nothing more than a good cleaning, oiling, and adjusting. The clock itself is nothing too special but it was given to my grandfather on his retirement in 1949. The shop I used to use is no longer in business and there’s not much left in town except for a few pawn shops.

Anyway, has anyone used an online repair service? Opinions?

I use a local repairman... but he told me most of his business is "Sent in".
I have taken my clock to him about every 5-7 years for routine servicing.
In fact, I ordered my clock from him "online" not knowing he was a local guy... and nice person that he is he gave me the online discount anyway, plus I saved on shipping because he is about 15 miles from me.
I bought a Chelsea "Ship strike" clock (having been in the Navy I like the "bells" way of timekeeping.)
This is my clock ....Chelsea Ship Strike 6" (https://www.chelseaclock.com/us-navy-6-ship-s-bell-clock-on-traditional)

The only difference is the price (I bought mine around the year 2000 and paid about $1100)
Also mine has a screw on bezel rather than hinged bezel (which is the what a true ships clock had to keep out the salty air)

The man's house is full of [mostly] mechanical clocks. He's got one clock in the entry hall that is made entirely from wood except for the mainspring.
He says he has a weekly ritual wherein he goes around on one specific day and winds all his clocks.
I asked him about his shop....does it have "positive" air pressure like a clean room (Boeing had clean rooms)... his shop is like a clean room.
He explained how only a few speck of dirt can throw off a balance wheel.

His name is John Crabtree http://www.jlcrabtree.com/
He's been repairing clocks and watches for at least 30 years, maybe longer.... and has always lived in metro Phoenix
I have lady's gold filled pocket watch that dates to 1910... I've takes that to him for service also.

Mel Fulks
09-27-2023, 9:05 AM
Clean it with denatured alcohol. Oil with real clock oil ,available on line. The SLOW- FAST ‘transmission’ is easy to use.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-27-2023, 2:50 PM
Send a PM to Creeker Bernie Weishapl. He has a clock repair shop. He can give you good advice, I am sure!

Bruce Page
09-28-2023, 8:46 PM
I found a local "in home" repair service by a guy that worked at my repair shop that closed. Fingers crossed!
Thanks for the replies.
Patty, that ship's clock is way cool!