PDA

View Full Version : Incra Rulers/Mechanical Lead etc

Izzy Charo
09-26-2023, 10:27 PM
Wondering what type of .5mm "lead" others are using with their Incra products...I love the accuracy of the precisely cut holes, but can't find a brand/hardness of lead that doesn't break way too easily...even with a light touch. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Bill Dufour
09-26-2023, 11:27 PM
I have switched to using 2mm lead in mechanical pencils. Nice thick lines, easy to see. I can not break the lead. For precise lines I add a razor cut or the scribe on a try square.
Bill D

Steve Wurster
09-27-2023, 7:34 AM
I'm pretty sure I'm using Pentel Super Hi-Polymer lead in my mechanical pencils; it's cheap on Amazon. You might also try changing pencils to one that doesn't cause as many breaks. I bought a Zebra mechanical pencil with "Del Guard" back in January (also via Amazon) and I don't think the lead is breaking anywhere near as often as it used to.

Patty Hann
09-27-2023, 8:00 AM
I use Pentel 0.5mm "Hi Polymer HB Super"... 30 leads in the little plastic case. I bought them in bulk (lots cheaper) from either Amazon or Staples, a half dozen little cases.
They do break if you press too hard ("hard" being subjective) but I like the thin line and have learned not to press too hard.
I use them with my "red" rulers with all the little holes, and also when I freehand draw stuff.

George Yetka
09-27-2023, 9:15 AM
You are looking for an HB mechanical pencil refill.

Michael Rutman
09-27-2023, 9:44 AM
Counter intuitively, you want a soft lead. Hard lead does not flex and will snap. Remember, you are putting the lead into a little hole that is not flush with the wood. As you move the Incra it will cause shear stress on the lead, a soft pencil will flex a tiny bit more.

The second reason is the soft lead will make a darker mark with less pressure. I think I moved to 2B before my Woodpecker's stopped snapping my pencils.

Also, try a .7mm, some devices let you, others won't. It's also a tighter fit, though, so more shear force.

And Pentel is a great brand. Will still snap but a bit less than other brands.

Curt Harms
09-27-2023, 9:48 AM
For day to day use I've settled on .9mm pencils, not suitable for rough work but doesn't break too easily when used for most tasks. Using .5mm leads I try to limit the amount of lead outside the pencil's mechanism. I don't have any Incra stuff so can't comment there.

George Yetka
09-27-2023, 9:52 AM
Also get a Uni kuru toga it is a great little system that rotates the lead everytime it touches the paper(wood in our case).

Aaron Inami
09-27-2023, 6:15 PM
I have a friend who has these Graph Gear mechanical pencils:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09H58JV6L/

They are very nice. He says he only uses the .7mm and .9mm pencils. The .3 and .5 are too breakable.

David Gutierrez
09-29-2023, 3:29 PM
You can try "H" leads, they are in the middle of the hardness range. a light touch helps.