PDA

View Full Version : My kingdom for a can of Cabot stain: Pecan 8127

Tristan Lemaitre
09-26-2023, 9:33 PM
Halfway through my project only to discover Cabot no longer makes interior stains! I need Pecan 8127. Someone out there have it on their shelf?

Curt Harms
09-27-2023, 10:08 AM
If you can't find a good match maybe buy a finish that's close and 'adjust' it with Transtint dye. Transtint is soluble in alcohol and water based finishes. I've heard but never tried making a strong transtint solution in acetone or naptha - don't remember which - then use that in oil based finishes. I've used water based finishes for years so not helpful with oil based finishes.

Edward Weber
09-27-2023, 12:31 PM
I would contact Sherwim Wiliams to see what product is similar to what you need. They own quite a few companies now. Minwax may be the best bet.
https://corporate.sherwin-williams.com/our-company/brands.html

Christian Hawkshaw
09-27-2023, 6:33 PM
I would contact Sherwim Wiliams to see what product is similar to what you need. They own quite a few companies now. Minwax may be the best bet.
https://corporate.sherwin-williams.com/our-company/brands.html

Also, Sherwin Williams can custom mix stains. Take a sample of the stained wood you are using, and they will match. I did this several years ago matching a nightstand to an existing dresser. Not exactly the same scenario as running out of stain halfway through the project, but it may be worth a shot.

Steve Demuth
09-27-2023, 9:50 PM
Oddly enough, just this week I had the same problem. I had to replace window trim on one window. The whole living area of our cottage is trimmed out with pine stained with a half and half mixture of Cabot Pecan and Maple stains. My stash for repairs has after 15 years gone off. I ended up mixing two MinWax stains, and then tuning the color with transtint to get enough yellow to match the old Cabot Pecan. So it can definitely work.

Edward Weber
09-28-2023, 2:26 PM
Years ago, cabot was bought out by Valspar and then Valspar bought by Shermin Williams.
I noticed from looking through the link above, that they seem to be trying to minimize redundant products. Minwax looks to be aimed at indoor products and colors, while Cabot is aimed towards outdoor projects like decks and Valspar has more paint.

Curt Harms
09-29-2023, 10:27 AM
Also, Sherwin Williams can custom mix stains. Take a sample of the stained wood you are using, and they will match. I did this several years ago matching a nightstand to an existing dresser. Not exactly the same scenario as running out of stain halfway through the project, but it may be worth a shot.

I knew about custom mixing paint colors but didn't know that was available for stains as well. Thanks for that info.