PDA

View Full Version : open grain wood

David Mueller
02-02-2006, 5:17 PM
Currently making pens, letter opener, etc. for a retirement project out of Koa wood. It seems to have a somewhat open grain and is darker in color. When I sand, the grain seems to fill some with dust and I try and blow, wipe, or soak it out but never quite get it all out. Is there a good trick in this instance?

Bill Stevener
02-02-2006, 7:45 PM
Hi David,

125 psi coming out the end of a high pressure air nozzle.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Carole Valentine
02-02-2006, 9:24 PM
I can't afford a compressor so believe it or not, I use that canned air that they make for blowing dust out of electronics. Works pretty good...just don't shake it.

David Mueller
02-02-2006, 9:34 PM
Bill, I was blown away by that enlightening comment. :eek:

I did use a compressor but I will admit to was probably only at 70-80 psi at the time. I was thinking later that I'll try a narrower fitting on my blower.

Carol, I use canned air daily at work. But a bunch of us are a little goofy and like to freeze things with it turned up side down. We do alot of other stupid things like that but I'll never admit to it. :p

John Hart
02-03-2006, 8:09 AM
David...I have the same problem with Cocobolo. Oil-soak seemed to help a lot....and on top of forced air, have had some decent success. But I know what you mean....little specks.