PDA

View Full Version : Makita table saw motor repair question

Cameron Wood
09-25-2023, 2:24 PM
I have, perhaps unwisely, acquired a 2703 basket case table saw. I run one of these so it would be a back up.

The motor fried- specifically one of the brush holders. The wire attaches to the brush holder with a loop of spring, and I need that part or a work around.

Pic shows intact and burnt one, and brush holders (of new motor case) in back ground.

Tom Bender
09-26-2023, 7:28 AM
Let me suggest a change that could make it your main saw. Change the motor to an 1800 rpm motor.

Advantages

it will run much quieter and at a lower pitch

It will make larger sawdust which is easier to collect and is less hazardous

it can never again throw wood at you at 100 mph since the tip speed is 50 mph

less tendency to burn wood

no need to fix that old motor

when done it will be a better saw, not just another piece of clutter

you can put a slightly larger pulley on the motor to handle the hp better (yes that will increase tip speed so don't go much bigger)

Disadvantages

you'll have to buy a new motor

you'll have to feed a little slower sometimes

Alex Zeller
09-26-2023, 10:34 AM
I would verify the amature is good. Chances are that's where the issue is and it caused the brush to overheat.

George Yetka
09-26-2023, 11:01 AM
I would verify the amature is good. Chances are that's where the issue is and it caused the brush to overheat.

Is that Freudian or did you mean armature?

Cameron Wood
09-26-2023, 11:23 AM
Let me suggest a change that could make it your main saw. Change the motor to an 1800 rpm motor.

Advantages

it will run much quieter and at a lower pitch

It will make larger sawdust which is easier to collect and is less hazardous

it can never again throw wood at you at 100 mph since the tip speed is 50 mph

less tendency to burn wood

no need to fix that old motor

when done it will be a better saw, not just another piece of clutter

you can put a slightly larger pulley on the motor to handle the hp better (yes that will increase tip speed so don't go much bigger)

Disadvantages

you'll have to buy a new motor

you'll have to feed a little slower sometimes

That would be nice, but it is direct drive, used on jobsites, and won't be replacing the Unisaw anytime soon, for several reasons. Quieter would be welcome.

Cameron Wood
09-26-2023, 11:24 AM

Good point. It looks OK, but I'll check.