PDA

View Full Version : 15" Delta Planerdc-380 vs Minimax fs350 for planing

joel cervera
09-23-2023, 2:35 PM
I've got a FS350 jointer/planer combo( with straight knives) I've had for a few years. I love the machine. But sometimes hate the change over. Usually I can bulk process jointing vs planing but its the times I need a one off piece or I made a mistake and need to surface a replacement for it. I got a DC380 off craigslist for $500. Its in good shape. I am wondering if there would be any major loss of quality of my planed surfaces from one machine to the next? Or any reason the DC380 is not advisable in terms of quality compared to the minimax My workshop is being built now so I wont be able to test the dc380 for a few more months. Wondering if anyone can comment on these 15" planers. Hoping the minimax can serve as a Jointer most of the time and to run the DC380 along side it.

Also I usually run a final pass with finely tuned hand planes on all surfaces. So normal milling marks are of no concern. Im hoping the new planer will be worth it due to the added convenience it might provide.

Thanks in advance,

Jim Becker
09-23-2023, 8:23 PM
Interestingly, a lot of folks buy jointer/thicknesser combos specifically for the wide jointing capability and use a separate thicknesser for that function. Why? the J/P is less expensive than a wide dedicated jointer in many cases. So there's no issue with you doing what you propose.

Now, I happen to own and use an FS-350 for jointing and thicknessing. Change over for me is about 60 seconds. I try to plan well so I don't need to return to the jointer function once I move on from flattening to thicknessing. Once in awhile it happens, but not often. (disclaimer...I don't usually edge joint on the machine. Once I have a flat and thicknessed workpiece, I straight line on my slider rather than using the jointer for a perfect, glue ready edge)

joel cervera
09-23-2023, 10:14 PM
Interestingly, a lot of folks buy jointer/thicknesser combos specifically for the wide jointing capability and use a separate thicknesser for that function. Why? the J/P is less expensive than a wide dedicated jointer in many cases. So there's no issue with you doing what you propose.

Now, I happen to own and use an FS-350 for jointing and thicknessing. Change over for me is about 60 seconds. I try to plan well so I don't need to return to the jointer function once I move on from flattening to thicknessing. Once in awhile it happens, but not often. (disclaimer...I don't usually edge joint on the machine. Once I have a flat and thicknessed workpiece, I straight line on my slider rather than using the jointer for a perfect, glue ready edge)

Jim, I did research a bit on this here on the forum. I did see a comment of yours that you straighline rip on a slider. I have a conventional table saw ,so do infact, like the wide jointer due to the small footprint. Ergo, wondering if planing on the dc380 will provide truly inferior results. I do find myself really wishing I didn't have to switch over enough to have bought the 15" planer to try it out.

Jim Becker
09-24-2023, 9:48 AM
Whether the thicknessing surface results are better or not will depend upon that specific machine setup. IMHO, the thicknessing is the "money shot" for surface, so if the thicknesser you choose has a "better" cutter head arrangement, then I suspect it will make you happier. My FS350 has a Tersa head and I generally get very good performance and quality from it, but I can see the value of say, a helical head, on a thicknesser for sure.

Erik Loza
09-24-2023, 10:01 AM
There’s a high-end commercial joinery place here in Austin that only uses their 12” J/P for jointing. I think they have a dedicated 20” planer. Not an uncommon scenario, to answer the OP’s question.

Erik

Carl Beckett
09-24-2023, 10:14 AM
I have a CU300 combo machine, which includes the J/P combo.

Then not too long ago picked up a Dewalt 735 - I happen to have a shelf at the end of one of my primary workbench areas where the Dewalt sits when not in use. Lifting the Dewalt onto the bench when needed, then putting it back away, is much easier than swapping over the combo machine J/P. Part of that is due to the planer tables swinging up and getting in the way of the TS function - whereas leaving it as a jointer still allows the TS surface.

So your thought process isnt crazy - to a fair degree is what I do. I dont think you will see much difference in functionality between the two planers.