PDA

View Full Version : The making of a kanna

Derek Cohen
09-23-2023, 1:04 AM
Excellent video ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkeuxwQXltE&ab_channel=%E3%83%97%E3%83%AD% E3%82%BB%E3%82%B9X

Regards from Perth

Derek

Reed Gray
09-23-2023, 12:20 PM
I have watched this several times. I will make one eventually. I have noticed that some blades are set just in the wood, and apparently the chip breaker is a relatively recent addition to the kanna. I am starting to think that you are supposed to make your own if you use one. Many sources of blades, but I have yet to find one where the blade and chip breaker come as one unit...

robo hippy

Cameron Wood
09-23-2023, 12:25 PM
I love the block chopping machine, and my ears and lungs cringe at the trip hammer, and grinders...

Edward Weber
09-23-2023, 1:09 PM
I have watched this several times. I will make one eventually. I have noticed that some blades are set just in the wood, and apparently the chip breaker is a relatively recent addition to the kanna. I am starting to think that you are supposed to make your own if you use one. Many sources of blades, but I have yet to find one where the blade and chip breaker come as one unit...

robo hippy

You're right, chip breakers didn't really start getting popular until late 1800's to early 1900's
Most start with a blade, then make a body, then fit a chip breaker. You can find sets on ebay but they're usually worn quite a lot.

Cameron Wood
09-23-2023, 1:24 PM

robo hippy

Available, but whole planes are being cranked out like in the video, and Japanese oak really is the best for the block.

https://www.japanesetools.com.au/collections/kanna-blade-sets

Joe A Faulkner
09-23-2023, 10:28 PM
Pretty humbling to think about the work the work that goes into all of our tools and how connected we are to people, processes and technologies we don’t understand or appreciate, or even give a thought to. Thanks for sharing this.

chuck van dyck
09-24-2023, 3:11 AM
Pretty humbling to think about the work the work that goes into all of our tools and how connected we are to people, processes and technologies we don’t understand or appreciate, or even give a thought to. Thanks for sharing this.

This is why I love my Japanese tools. I dont really need the perfectly functioning tool as I much as I need a tool with good mojo to get some work done. I know there are those that dont believe in mojo..

Mark Rainey
09-26-2023, 10:22 AM
I know there are those that dont believe in mojo.. Interesting. They may not believe in your specific mojo, but all of us believe in mojo of one kind or another. A large part of our nature is irrational, and with those emotions we attribute certain "magical" qualities to things in our world.

steven c newman
10-05-2023, 12:15 PM
Video shows a lot..and one does NOT need a Facebook account to watch it...and argue about it...