PDA

View Full Version : Portable bench

Mark Rainey
09-22-2023, 1:18 PM
I am doing a woodworking demonstration at Landis Valley Museum in 2 weeks. Does anyone in eastern PA have a knockdown portable bench they would be willing to loan for the day? I just saw the thread on the Moravian bench build. I need to build one, but with a day job, 2 weeks is too short of time. Thanks, Mark

Mike Allen1010
09-27-2023, 8:25 PM
Sounds like I find it interesting opportunity – love to hear how it goes! Good luck finding a bench – I hate it when Icome to the realization that I procrastinated long enough that the thing I absolutely need is not possible to achieve within the available time frame – oooouch! I'm sure you'll make it work – with your talent a collapsible workmate from Home Depot would be fine. Cheers, Mike

kenneth hatch
10-06-2023, 2:14 AM
I am doing a woodworking demonstration at Landis Valley Museum in 2 weeks. Does anyone in eastern PA have a knockdown portable bench they would be willing to loan for the day? I just saw the thread on the Moravian bench build. I need to build one, but with a day job, 2 weeks is too short of time. Thanks, Mark

Be happy to loan you a small Moravian, just need to swing by Tucson on the way to Landis Valley. BTW, helping a friend build one for his daughter soon, it is about a 40 man hour project. Without a BC crisscross vise I expect you could build one out of Home Depot 2X4 for around $100 USD. After next week's build I'll let you know the cost.

ken

Mark Rainey
10-06-2023, 3:17 PM
Wish you were closer Ken! Let me know how the build goes.

steven c newman
10-06-2023, 5:23 PM
Go look up The Woodwright's shop on pbs.org....looking for the portable Roy Underhill made...and see what he gone done in 30 minutes....

Mark Rainey
10-11-2023, 9:33 AM
Go look up The Woodwright's shop on pbs.org....looking for the portable Roy Underhill made...and see what he gone done in 30 minutes....

I looked up that episode and Roy showed the original Moravian bench. Thanks Steve.

Mark Rainey
10-11-2023, 9:35 AM
Be happy to loan you a small Moravian, just need to swing by Tucson on the way to Landis Valley. BTW, helping a friend build one for his daughter soon, it is about a 40 man hour project. Without a BC crisscross vise I expect you could build one out of Home Depot 2X4 for around $100 USD. After next week's build I'll let you know the cost.

ken

The southern yellow pine at the store is probably at 18% moisture approximately. Should I put it in my humidity controlled shop to bring in down to about 10%? Thoughts?

James Jayko
10-11-2023, 11:14 AM
I doubt its getting from 18 to 10% in a week...don't over think it, just build it!

kenneth hatch
10-11-2023, 7:14 PM
The southern yellow pine at the store is probably at 18% moisture approximately. Should I put it in my humidity controlled shop to bring in down to about 10%? Thoughts?

When it is for my use I let it set in the shop for a month or so but I also live in the desert. Things dry pretty quickly here.

ken

Mark Rainey
12-02-2023, 3:36 PM
511464Making progress on my Moravian workbench. I have a home workbench and am making this for portable use. I see Will Myers assemble his in less than 60 seconds. I have made my stretchers to fit through my mortises, but the fit is such that they need a few whacks with a dead blow hammer to get through. This makes assembly slower. I am tempted to thin the tenons so I can assemble it easier, without coaxing, but will it make the finished bench less stable? So my question is do any Moravian bench owners have very easy to insert stretcher tenons that tighten nicely after the wedge is placed and the bench is rock solid?

Jason D Snyder
12-03-2023, 3:21 PM
My stretcher tendons are easy to insert and tighten up just fine with no impact to the bench once snugged. 511515

Mark Rainey
12-03-2023, 3:44 PM
Thanks Jason.