PDA

View Full Version : Glue repair advice

Robert M Richardson
09-22-2023, 9:08 AM
I made a bonehead mistake from which to recover / repair requires that I apply glue deep into a thin crack, photo attached. I've googled, for example wood glue syringe and find numerous options. I'd appreciate any tips on what to use and or how to proceed since it seems to me that I'm only going to get one shot.
Thanks
Robert

Mel Fulks
09-22-2023, 9:16 AM
I use the springs from broken tape -measures . You can also use a strip of an aluminum drink can.

Jimmy Harris
09-22-2023, 10:25 AM
I won't claim to be an expert on this, or even someone who knows what they're doing. But I've done this quite a few times before for all kind of various reasons.

Here's what I do. Buy a pack of syringes online. Chinese brand or whatever's cheap. They don't need to be wood glue specific. But don't mess with the medical ones, as they're typically pretty sharp and too narrow. And don't mess with the food injectors, as they're too big. I think mine were labeled as oil applicators and inkjet head cleaning kits.

Now, the problem you might encounter is that the glue is too thick to go through the tiny needle. However, water it down, so it's thin enough to flow through and then insert the needle and apply some glue to the crack. Let it sit for maybe 3-5 minutes, long enough for it to get absorbed into the wood, then apply some more. Maybe do it a third time if you want. I don't have this down to a science, so I can't tell you the best procedure. But after you think you've got enough glue in there, compensating for the watering down, clamp it and wipe up any squeeze out. Then clean out the needle for reuse. They're not expensive, but I can't find them locally, so they're a pain to buy. And usually when I need one, I need it immediately, and it came as a surprise, so I didn't have the opportunity to see it coming and buy them ahead of time.

Robert M Richardson
09-22-2023, 3:12 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try the syringe method. I've used the thin strip on things like shutters and it has worker well but this piece was and I hope will again be a nice piece of furniture and as I said I only anticipate one shot at it.
Robert

Richard Coers
09-22-2023, 3:44 PM
I apply glue on the top of the crack and use a shop vac to pull it through.I like to mask off the surface around the crack to keep overflow from filling wood pores. But since I'm just a member, I can't see your picture.

Jimmy Harris
09-22-2023, 4:04 PM
I apply glue on the top of the crack and use a shop vac to pull it through.I like to mask off the surface around the crack to keep overflow from filling wood pores. But since I'm just a member, I can't see your picture.
Never even thought to try something that. I'll have to remember that trick, as I have a feeling it might come in handy one day!

Doug Garson
09-22-2023, 4:26 PM
That looks to be a fairly wide crack. It shouldn't be too hard to repair. Flood the crack with PVA glue or epoxy, let it sit for a few minutes to move down, add more glue if necessary and clamp it tight. Adding painters tape to control squeeze out is a good idea. Make sure to remove any loose splinters to make sure it will close when clamped, as you said you just get one chance. Don't know if trying to close it up dry before gluing is a good idea, probably not.

Lee Schierer
09-22-2023, 6:56 PM

I've used this method several times and it works really well. Leave the crack un-clamped and possible opened up a bit. Place a liberal amount of glue along the edge of the crack opposite from the vacuum. Once you feel you have enough glue in the crack apply your clamps.

You can also use dental floss to work the glue into a crack.

Tom Bender
09-24-2023, 7:05 AM
IME there are always splinters that block the crack open so it is necessary to test clamp it then pull it open wider to remove splinters. Once it opens and closes cleanly, work in some glue then close and open a few times to work the glue deeper.

Robert M Richardson
09-24-2023, 4:08 PM
Again thanks for all the tips. Much appreciated.
Robert