PDA

View Full Version : Another Fake Pottery Piece

Jim Adkins
09-21-2023, 6:22 PM
Another Fake Pottery Piece that I've completed. It's a copy Of Hopi Potter Joy Navasie, she's a
descendant of Fanny Nampeyo from AZ. This I turned from Hackberry, size is 17" D. x 6" H.,
I could not find a pattern name. This also was painted with Acrylic water colors using a Wrico
pen and brush work. Question, comments always welcome.

Tim Elett
09-21-2023, 7:27 PM
Really nice, is that painted with a air brush?

Bruce Jones
09-21-2023, 7:55 PM
Jim, That's a very lovely piece of work and nice form as well.

Jim Adkins
09-21-2023, 7:58 PM
No, not an airbrush, I use a Wrico Pen & artist brushes. The Wrico pen is somewhat like a fountain pen except it has cylindrical
points. Best description would be similar to a hypodermic needle with a shaft that fits inside the hollow needle. It's a very old
item that draftsman used to ink drawings. I think they were invented in 1929. They're sometimes on Ebay.
Hope this description is helpful? Thank you.

Jim Morgan
09-21-2023, 11:44 PM
These are stunning. Call you tell us something more about the process you follow?

David Dockstader
09-22-2023, 2:08 AM
Again, excellent. Your patterns are spot on.

Steve Schlumpf
09-22-2023, 10:29 AM
Beautiful work Jim! Your eye for detail never ceases to amaze!

Jim Adkins
09-22-2023, 12:55 PM
Mr. Morgan et al. I finish turn to shape, sand inside & out. I then apply a coat of Gesso, sand with 220, apply a 2nd coat of Gesso
followed by sanding with 320. I then apply 2 coats of "LT Moca Acrylic water color with a brush. After a drying period I spray a
lite coat of Krylon workable fixative to the exterior. This later coat allows me to layout pencil lines which are much easier to change
due to errors! I concentrate on 1 section at a time, I pencil-in the outline then I overlay a small pc of thin tracing paper & trace
my pencil lines onto the tracing paper. I then cutout the outline & using small pcs of tape to hold in place I transfer the outline onto
cereal box cardstock. I also cut out a smaller copy of the same pattern, glue the two together & tape to fit the contour of the area
I'm working on. After this drys I load up my Wrico Pen with the approbate color & use the template to apply the lines. If I
have an area that's maybe painted Red I will first apply the red with a small brush then position the card template in place
& apply the black outline using the Wrico pen. I hope this gives some idea of how I apply the colors/patterns?

Walter Mooney
09-22-2023, 2:26 PM
My question was going to be ‘how do you get your curves so smooth and continuous’? I think I get it now. Thanks!

Jim Morgan
09-22-2023, 2:39 PM
Mr. Morgan et al. I finish turn to shape, sand inside & out. I then apply a coat of Gesso, sand with 220, apply a 2nd coat of Gesso
followed by sanding with 320. I then apply 2 coats of "LT Moca Acrylic water color with a brush. After a drying period I spray a
lite coat of Krylon workable fixative to the exterior. This later coat allows me to layout pencil lines which are much easier to change
due to errors! I concentrate on 1 section at a time, I pencil-in the outline then I overlay a small pc of thin tracing paper & trace
my pencil lines onto the tracing paper. I then cutout the outline & using small pcs of tape to hold in place I transfer the outline onto
cereal box cardstock. I also cut out a smaller copy of the same pattern, glue the two together & tape to fit the contour of the area
I'm working on. After this drys I load up my Wrico Pen with the approbate color & use the template to apply the lines. If I
have an area that's maybe painted Red I will first apply the red with a small brush then position the card template in place
& apply the black outline using the Wrico pen. I hope this gives some idea of how I apply the colors/patterns?

Thank you for the description! One more question (I know it's clichéd, but I can't resist): about how much time do you have invested in each of these pieces?

Again, I cannot say anything too praiseworthy about your work!

Jim Adkins
09-23-2023, 2:45 PM
Mr. Morgan......To answer your ?? "about how much time do you have invested?" I've never kept track of my
time I spend on these. I'm usually working on 2 or more at one time due to getting bored or encounter a problem
so that's about the only viable answer I can give you at this time. Thanks for asking.