PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a small lathe?

Steve Mathews
09-20-2023, 10:42 PM
What is the best way to ship a small lathe weighing less than 400 lbs? It could easily be partially disassembled and bolted onto a pallet.

Bill Dufour
09-20-2023, 11:37 PM
fastenal.
Bill D

George Yetka
09-21-2023, 8:19 AM
What is the best way to ship a small lathe weighing less than 400 lbs? It could easily be partially disassembled and bolted onto a pallet.

I would do this with a piece of cheap 3/8 ply under the lathe then frame a small box out of ply or 1x3s and wrap it in the same ply use screws for buyers sake. Then ship LTL. Goship.com or similar have consolidated freight search for your cheapest pricing

Bill George
09-21-2023, 10:20 AM
If you can break it down into 100 lb pieces it can go UPS.

Richard Coers
09-21-2023, 5:13 PM
400 pounds is not that small. As Dufour said, Fastenal if it's in the United States. If it's on legs, I'd take the lathe off the legs and bolt both to the pallet. You don't want a high center of gravity for shipping. Chances of it falling on its side somewhere goes way up. Definitely use bolts with locknuts. I shipped a display from work with lag bolts holding a part of it together . By the time it went across the United States the weight of the part had pulled out the lags and bounced around in the crate.

Steve Mathews
09-22-2023, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. But I've decided to take the drive and pick it up myself.