PDA

View Full Version : so john hart.....

tod evans
02-02-2006, 2:25 PM
i was just wondering when you get to start buying air tools and tack? :)

Cecil Arnold
02-02-2006, 5:16 PM
Yeah Tod, inquiring minds want to know. How about it John.

John Hart
02-02-2006, 6:47 PM
Well...methinks pretty soon! Right now, I'm being real careful while I get all our finances together for buying the new house. It's probably going to take me a couple of months, but when I start buying, it won't be for a little Craftsman compressor. I'm going to outfit this new shop the right way and use all the education I've acquired from SMC to do it.;)

tod evans
02-02-2006, 6:52 PM
cool! take your time and be selective, you only need to do it once, all except for the saddle/bridle thing. those will need replaced much more frequently than air tools:) t.

John Miliunas
02-02-2006, 6:52 PM
You can buy tack at Sears????:confused: :D :cool:

John Hart
02-02-2006, 7:02 PM
Horses horse horses....Lemme tell ya something....There ain't gonna be no horses!!!! Why would I even bother putting a woodshop together if I had those tempermental creatures demanding my every waking moment? Nope....No horses....no saddles...bridles....bits....curry combs....grain...hay....straw....stall cleaning that smells like wet oak....water freezing in the winter......horses getting out and tearing up the yard.....fartin' and biting. Nope...not for me. Just a little ole two-story woodshop and an orchard full of fruit trees and a pond full of bass and bluegill.....and a white horse fence all around.....BUT NO HORSES!:D

Dennis Peacock
02-02-2006, 7:20 PM
.....and a white horse fence all around.....BUT NO HORSES!:D

Well then.....

You can NOT call it a White "Horse" Fence.:eek: :p :rolleyes:

Andy Hoyt
02-02-2006, 7:27 PM
Sure he can. It's to keep them out!

John - When developing that list of stuff for the new shop, it might be easier to note the tools you won't need.

Keith Outten
02-02-2006, 7:31 PM
John,

Get one of these from a fellow CNC ShopBotter in North Carolina. He makes them out of foam sheets. These horses won't be any trouble, no vet bills, no feed, etc.

They sure would look good at your place :)

John Hart
02-02-2006, 7:42 PM
Yep Keith...those are some ponies I can take care of!:D

Andy...You're right about that. But then, this is also a lifestyle change, so there's going to be some things to consider with running a bigger property and I want to take that into consideration too. The Stable (soon to be converted into a garage/shop):D will also have air power so I have to look at the mechanic aspects.

But then y'all are expecting that to be a Bed and Breakfast for the visiting Turners....but even then I'll have to do a fair bit of building and I want to get the right tools for all that.

I'm actually getting the tools built into the financing. (about $7K)

Andy Hoyt
02-02-2006, 7:45 PM
7K will get you set up in Canadian White quite nicely.

Process over. Next.

Gary Max
02-02-2006, 7:58 PM
Or Baby poop yellow and lots of change

Larry Klaaren
02-02-2006, 8:03 PM
no vet bills,

Be careful . . .

A couple of old sayings (from vet school in the 70's)

"Buy everything else you want before you buy horses. Once you're buying feed for them you won't be able to afford anything else." Kind of like equipping a shop I guess.

"Aint no rhino can't be rode. Ain't no cowboy can't be throwed." Don't know the relevance of that, but I like it.

John Bailey
02-02-2006, 9:27 PM
This one's gonna' be fun to watch John. And to boot, it's close enough for a visit. Keep us posted.

John

Ken Fitzgerald
02-02-2006, 9:31 PM
:D Oh! and Larry you forgot to mention the missed shop time spent with the pitchfork, shovel, new straw, used straw and John....BTW....that used straw won't have the same effect as the exotic wood shavings!:eek: but it'll make curl your nose!

John Hart
02-02-2006, 9:45 PM
....BTW....that used straw won't have the same effect as the exotic wood shavings!:eek: but it'll make curl your nose!

Nuthin' a little lacquer won't fix!:D (hic):o

Jim Becker
02-02-2006, 10:03 PM
7K will get you set up in Canadian White quite nicely.
Yes, but for just over $5K he can get Stubbified, have 30" swing inboard and paint it white like Jack Vessery did...but the name "OnlyWay" was taken at the same time...

http://www.stubbylathe.com/images/StubbyFront_sm.gif

Andy Hoyt
02-02-2006, 10:14 PM
Okay, I'll admit it, Jim. Getting Stubbified is a great alternative backup last ditch hell freezes over option.:D

John Hart
02-02-2006, 10:30 PM
I was thinkin'....just a little bit...There is a pulley system under the floor, shown here. It runs right under the Table Saw, The Jointer, and the Planer

The pulley system is driven by a diesel engine in the engine room.
(A tad out of focus)

The compressor is also in the engine room

So...Is there a high quality lathe out there that I could run on that pulley system?

Andy Hoyt
02-02-2006, 10:34 PM
Now that's a cool idea.

I'm no mechanic, but - if you could rig it up - would a lathe driven by a hydraulic pump get better torque than one powered by pnueumatics?

Fred Voorhees
02-02-2006, 10:38 PM
.....and a pond full of bass and bluegill
Now you talkin!!!

Loy Hawes
02-03-2006, 3:28 AM
Yes, but for just over $5K he can get Stubbified, have 30" swing inboard and paint it white like Jack Vessery did...but the name "OnlyWay" was taken at the same time...

http://www.stubbylathe.com/images/StubbyFront_sm.gif

I always get jealous when Jim pulls out his stubby. :o

Vaughn McMillan
02-03-2006, 4:43 AM
I always get jealous when Jim pulls out his stubby. :o
Must...resist......cannot.........type............ :p

- Vaughn

tod evans
02-03-2006, 6:15 AM
just in case your daughter is reading here`s my son last spring. :)

John Hart
02-03-2006, 7:46 AM
just in case your daughter is reading here`s my son last spring. :)

Tod...you are the spawn of hell.:p

John Hart
02-03-2006, 7:50 AM
....I'm no mechanic, but - if you could rig it up - would a lathe driven by a hydraulic pump get better torque than one powered by pnueumatics?

Sure..if you were to run things with hydraulics, there's no compression/elasticity in liquids but there is in air. But this is not a hydraulic, it's engine-driven.

tod evans
02-03-2006, 8:07 AM
So...Is there a high quality lathe out there that I could run on that pulley system?

john, all of the old patternmakers lathes i`ve seen where run off jack shafts. there are still quite a few around ripe for the picking, some with very long beds and up to 15" over the ways. most are babbit bearing machines but i haven`t ever had trouble out of babbits that are kept under 5k so don`t let that scare you off. my dust collector pump runs babbits and purrs like a kitten. a few years ago i saw an old metal lathe with a 10ft bed and 32" swing sell for 1200$ with chucks and tooling so if you wait and look around there`s deals out there.......now about this equine thing:) .02 tod

John Hart
02-03-2006, 8:19 AM
That's what I was hoping for Tod. I have a lathe that serves me well, so I'm going to take my time and look for something along those lines. Thanks for confirming my suspicions. Oh...and here's an old Roman phrase: Nos operor non postulo a foetidus equus

Roughly translated: "We don't need no stinking horses!!" :D

tod evans
02-03-2006, 8:26 AM
That's what I was hoping for Tod. I have a lathe that serves me well, so I'm going to take my time and look for something along those lines. Thanks for confirming my suspicions. Oh...and here's an old Roman phrase: Nos operor non postulo a foetidus equus

glad you translated! at best i have a halting command of the english language. that foreign stuff is only giberish to me. whoa-nelly :)

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
02-03-2006, 8:27 AM
Geez John, are you going off the grid out there...? :D

I'd vote for the flat belt and Jack shaft, just to be different, why would you want to buy into the "New Is Better" thing all the time ;)

I'll second the babbit bearing thing, new a guy in Canada that had a babbit bearing bandsaw, never had a problem with it.

Cheers!

.........horses......got....to....get....horses... ..

Ken Fitzgerald
02-03-2006, 8:46 AM
I can hear it now....... (in the background......clip...clop....clip.....clop) John in a nice medium tenor voice......"Happy Trails to you..............":D

tod evans
02-03-2006, 8:50 AM
I can hear it now....... (in the background......clip...clop....clip.....clop) John in a nice medium tenor voice......"Happy Trails to you..............":D

so ken, could this be retaliation for a recent tactical maneuver? .02 tod

Ken Fitzgerald
02-03-2006, 8:51 AM
Might be.............then it could be just a couple of ex-sailors passing time ...........

tod evans
02-03-2006, 8:52 AM
Might be.............then it could be just a couple of ex-sailors passing time ...........

well i are one too, ex squid that is. :)

John Miliunas
02-03-2006, 10:20 AM
Oh...and here's an old Roman phrase: Nos operor non postulo a foetidus equus

:eek: :eek: :eek: Ok, let's see if I've got this right: A nice house...No, actually TWO houses for LOYL to arrange and decorate as she likes. A HUGE shop, complete with diesel engine and mega HP compressor for you. Land for horsey and place to keep said horsey and daughter who would love such a horsey. Hmmmmmm.....:confused: :eek: .........horses......got....to....get....horses... ..
:D :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
02-03-2006, 10:23 AM
Tod....then you understand!

John.......I can hear you tell that daughter....."You want a horse?....Neigh! Neigh!"................

sNicker......sNicker........

PS.....I can probably find a pitchfork to be used for cleaning out stalls. What's your new address John?

John Hart
02-03-2006, 10:34 AM
....PS.....I can probably find a pitchfork to be used for cleaning out stalls. What's your new address John?

No need Ken...Thanks a lot though!! Already have one and it'll work just fine as a rustic country decoration in the car shop/bed-n-breakfast that USED TO BE the stable. Thanks so much for your kind consideration!:rolleyes:

John Hart
02-03-2006, 10:38 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: Ok, let's see if I've got this right: A nice house...No, actually TWO houses for LOYL to arrange and decorate as she likes. A HUGE shop, complete with diesel engine and mega HP compressor for you. Land for horsey and place to keep said horsey and daughter who would love such a horsey. Hmmmmmm.....:confused: :eek: .........horses......got....to....get....horses... ..
:D :cool:

Thanks for your insights John! Unfortunately, the orchard takes up all the land. Not much room for ponies to do the necessary frolicking/destruction that they so enjoy. I still like Keith Outten's suggestion though! ;)

02-03-2006, 10:58 AM
Thanks for your insights John! Unfortunately, the orchard takes up all the land. Not much room for ponies to do the necessary frolicking/destruction that they so enjoy. I still like Keith Outten's suggestion though! ;)

......ORCHARD...........???

Great, he also has a supply of coveted wood for the rest of his life..... :D

.........horses......got....to....get....horses... .

Jerry Olexa
02-03-2006, 12:00 PM
Sounds pretty tacky to me...

tod evans
02-03-2006, 1:17 PM
just think of the damage a few horses could inflict on the fruit trees, maybe burls would form, possibly spalting could occur....no rotting fruit lying around stinking up the place.......hummmmmm..02 tod

Frank Chaffee
02-03-2006, 3:36 PM
just think of the damage a few horses could inflict on the fruit trees, maybe burls would form, possibly spalting could occur....no rotting fruit lying around stinking up the place.......hummmmmm..02 tod
Hey John,
What’s good for the goose is good for the gander.
Frank

tod evans
02-03-2006, 3:40 PM
Hey John,
What’s good for the goose is good for the gander.
Frank

what`s a few more? bring `em on the kids would love `em. :)

Jim Becker
02-03-2006, 3:59 PM
John.......I can hear you tell that daughter....."You want a horse?....Neigh! Neigh!"................

Trust me, I understand John's situation as we have the same thing with dogs and cats right now. Nyet!! Not with the birds who already live here. Maybe a dog "someday" when (insert children's names here) are old enough to actually care for it. Their other suggestion was an elephant, but that wouldn't be so practical in similar, but "inflated" ways in the "clean-up" department!

I'm sure we'll get the horse pressure someday...it's big in this area.

Frank Chaffee
02-03-2006, 4:20 PM
what`s a few more? bring `em on the kids would love `em. :)
John,
I’ll never get a lathe ‘till I can park it outside and have a barn fan blowing @ 45° to the dusty chippy mess! …where the geese will pick it over… and the horses will…
…But somehow I’ve come to think you deserve the double whammy! Err…ah… make that triple or….well… you catch my drift I’m sure.
BTW: A real man eats goose eggs fried in goose fat for breakfast, and there just ain’t nothin’ like horses for depositing the wealth around the property.
Frank
P.S. Happy trails to you…
P.P.S John, wouldn’t you like to see Stu’s lathe on his roof?

Jim Dunn
02-03-2006, 4:53 PM
Trust me, I understand John's situation as we have the same thing with dogs and cats right now. Nyet!! Not with the birds who already live here. Maybe a dog "someday" when (insert children's names here) are old enough to actually care for it. Their other suggestion was an elephant, but that wouldn't be so practical in similar, but "inflated" ways in the "clean-up" department!

I'm sure we'll get the horse pressure someday...it's big in this area.

So is the flu but you don't really want that wished on you either, do you.:D

Seen to many septic drainfields messed up with horses running around on em. Around here if you've got 3 acres you've got to have a horse, or so everyone seems to think. More horses in this area per acre than Texas, so I'm told.:cool:

Jim

02-03-2006, 8:04 PM
John,
P.P.S John, wouldn’t you like to see Stu’s lathe on his roof?

Well the neighbours may not like the "Shower" of chips every time the wind blows :D

My original idea was to put the shop on the roof, but we would get hit (substantially) with more property taxes (they check to see if you built stuff on your rooftop with digital pics that compare last years pics to this years pics, a guy down the street got NAILED a while back, big fine, back taxes etc....:mad:) In the Dungeon, know one knows I'm there.... :D

Cheers!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-03-2006, 8:08 PM
Uh! Stu............we know...............others may be tracking this site after recent aerial weaponry comments and deliveries were made here.........:eek: :D

John Hart
02-03-2006, 8:27 PM
Well the neighbours may not like the "Shower" of chips every time the wind blows :D

Maybe you could try one of those Shower Curtain Rigs that Dave Wimmer just posted.;)

Now about this goose/gander thing.....not a bad idea

Duncan needs something to play with:D

02-03-2006, 8:45 PM
Dunno about the dog playing with the geese, them geese can be MEAN SOBs, and if they hit you with that bill, man it can hurt... Dogs "Play" Geese don't.... :D

Frank Chaffee
02-03-2006, 8:52 PM
a guy down the street got NAILED a while back, big fine, back taxes etc....:mad:) In the Dungeon, know one knows I'm there.... :D
Cheers!
[/SIZE]

Uh! Stu............we know...............others may be tracking this site after recent aerial weaponry comments and deliveries were made here.........:eek: :D
I hear ya guys, something about this real name site and the ubiquitous non-prescience of sat sight these days does combine to make “hunkering down” advisable.
Frank

tod evans
02-04-2006, 7:40 AM
here`s one that ain`t hunkerin`.......02 tod

John Hart
02-04-2006, 7:47 AM
Wow...Now there's a beautiful animal! Looks great on YOUR property Tod!:)

tod evans
02-04-2006, 7:50 AM
it`s not mine john, just pulled it off google. but i`d love to own an arab that pretty! maybe some day if i ever get rich and famous:).....02 tod

John Hart
02-04-2006, 8:04 AM
Ahh. I grew up with Arabians and Quarter Horses. We had an Arabian that was a gorgeous chestnut. (My mom's horse) I respect their power and love their beauty......But I don't want any:D

Ken Fitzgerald
02-04-2006, 8:13 AM
I started working with horses before I was a teenager. Always wanted some of my own. By the time I could afford them, didn't want them any longer. I thought I always wanted a pure bred Morgan. That's what the US Calvary used. Well, after going to a number of horse sales specializing in morgans....I said NO to morgans. Talking with a number of professional trainers, they advised buying a cross-bred horse that was coming off a working ranch. It would be trained to work and will have been worked. Made sense, since the best we used when elk hunting were, in fact, former ranch/cattle horses.

Ah.....but now, we have John talking fondly of former horse days......"Please Dad?.......I want a a horse.......Please Dad?".......seems somebody warned me about a slippery slope?

Your correct Tod.....it's payback!:D

tod evans
02-04-2006, 8:34 AM
every girl neeeeeeeeeeeds a horse. :) .02 tod

John Hart
02-04-2006, 8:42 AM
Ah.....but now, we have John talking fondly of former horse days......"Please Dad?.......I want a a horse.......Please Dad?".......seems somebody warned me about a slippery slope?

Your correct Tod.....it's payback!:D

Try as you might....but there is a profound difference my friends....That particular slippery slope is one that I clawed and scratched to get out of....I ain't going back. My fond memories are that of small moments in time....A mare giving birth to a foal....Four gracefull animals galloping in unison near sunset....a gentle "thank you" for a carrot.

The rest of it was hell....pure hell. I can see the stuff I like at someone else's house...they can have the headaches!

And as far as my girls neeeeeeeeding a horse.....Well....they have never lived in the country....we'll see how they adapt. That's gonna take a few years. For now...they aren't cut out for it.....And Daddy sure ain't gonna take care of them!;)

Andy Hoyt
02-04-2006, 9:16 AM
FLASH! Dateline Clevetown: Rooters 020406 0905 GMT:

I think that boy is trying to pull a fast one on us. This just came over the wire.

Jim Dunn
02-04-2006, 9:18 AM
Is that a box of gold? Or a box of blanks? I really like the blonde mullet too:)

John Hart
02-04-2006, 9:25 AM
Thanks Andy....Complete with turning safety equipment!:D Too bad there's a horse in there!

02-04-2006, 9:25 AM
When I said "Dad, I want a horse" he bought me an off-road motorbike.....:D

Smart man!!

In the winter, you just drain the gas tank, and carb, put a squirt of oil in the cylinder, and cover it up, no feed, no grooming, etc etc....

I had lots of friends that had horses, one good buddy's family raised Arabians, they were the WORST animals to be around, but the "Work" horses, now they were good animals to be around. Used to go camping all the time on the WORK horses, and they were nice to be around.

.....horses......got.....to......get.....horses... ...horses.....horses.....

Jim Dunn
02-04-2006, 9:36 AM
Wow Stu that subbliminal message is getting to me:eek::eek:. Course, thankfully, I'm in the city:D Now where's that real estate flyer:o

Ken Fitzgerald
02-04-2006, 9:41 AM
Yeah John...I can see you've seen the down side of horses. I won't bother you anymore.

"Daddy please!.....I want a horse..........Daddy please!"

Ernie Nyvall
02-04-2006, 9:42 AM

But John, they're for da chidwen.:D

Ernie

Jim Dunn
02-04-2006, 9:45 AM
Ken, NOW CUT THAT OUT!!! John may be imune to your sub messages but they were tested on me as a child and I fell for them each and every time:eek::eek:

02-04-2006, 9:49 AM
But John, they're for da chidwen.:D

Ernie

Besides that, they don't "Stink" they "Smell"

.....horses......got.....to......get.....horses... ...horses.....horses.....two....of.....them...

John Hart
02-04-2006, 9:58 AM
Yep..you guys are starting to wear me down. Maybe a couple of horses ain't such a bad idea after all. Heck....The dog's gotta eat....I have a nice bandsaw. What's best for horses...3 tpi or 4 tpi?

02-04-2006, 10:02 AM
Ken, NOW CUT THAT OUT!!! John may be imune to your sub messages but they were tested on me as a child and I fell for them each and every time:eek::eek:

Aw come on Jim, it can't be that bad, can it...?

Jim Dunn......send Stu in Tokyo your lathe....pay.....for....the....shipping.....

Ken Fitzgerald
02-04-2006, 10:11 AM
Yep..you guys are starting to wear me down. Maybe a couple of horses ain't such a bad idea after all. Heck....The dog's gotta eat....I have a nice bandsaw. What's best for horses...3 tpi or 4 tpi?

Way to go John! Earlier this week you were directly involved in causing the Department of Homeland Security to monitor SMC. Now with that comment we'll have PETA monitoring SMC!:eek: :D

tod evans
02-04-2006, 10:12 AM

really cats are much better, especially breaded and deap fried, a little long grain rice, some oyster sauce and a nice trail ride after dinner:)

Larry Klaaren
02-04-2006, 10:22 AM
really cats are much better, especially breaded and deap fried, a little long grain rice, some oyster sauce and a nice trail ride after dinner:)

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT

hmmmm . . . . you don't have an Ozark restaraunt on the side?

tod evans
02-04-2006, 10:24 AM
hmmmm . . . . you don't have an Ozark restaraunt on the side?

nope. but we`ve got all the possum sandwiches you can eat....:)

actually there was a chineese restraunt years ago up the road from here that was shut down for serving cat just as described.....it` on record with the county health dept......02 tod

02-04-2006, 10:34 AM
We were at the "Farm" the other weekend, and they have horses, cows, etc etc, and a petting zoo of sorts. Well they had rabbits. My youngest daughter says to me "Papa, do you like rabbits...?"

I said "Yes, I do, and the best is with gravy and mashed potatoes...." :D

The look that came to her face was PRICELESS :D

The next thing out of her mouth was............

"MOM!!!" :eek:

.....horses......got.....to......get.....horses... ...horses.....horses.....two....of.....them......m aybe......three......

Larry Klaaren
02-04-2006, 10:49 AM
nope. but we`ve got all the possum sandwiches you can eat....:)

actually there was a chineese restraunt years ago up the road from here that was shut down for serving cat just as described.....it` on record with the county health dept......02 tod\

I'm thinking about a little place in Eureka Springs, Arkansas where we had some really unusual appetizers a few years back. It was on the hillside below a big old hotel. But I'm guessing you don't live anywhere near there . . . right? Right?

tod evans
02-04-2006, 10:55 AM
\

I'm thinking about a little place in Eureka Springs, Arkansas where we had some really unusual appetizers a few years back. It was on the hillside below a big old hotel. But I'm guessing you don't live anywhere near there . . . right? Right?

nope.......but i`m sure john could use a vets perspective of the benefits of providing equine companionship for his offspring....;)

Ernie Nyvall
02-04-2006, 10:57 AM

Speaking of dog food, I once used a scale at a place that prepared various animals for a dog food factory in Salt Lake. There were piles of dead cats and dogs, a horse or two, cows, and various other animals. And then there were a couple of tanker trucks leaving out that were simply labeled "animal fat". From then on I have checked food labels for those words.:eek:

Ernie

Larry Klaaren
02-04-2006, 11:07 AM
nope.......but i`m sure john could use a vets perspective of the benefits of providing equine companionship for his offspring....;)
I never did equine work. I do know that there is something about the bond between teenage girls and horses. Some of them like the horses better than boys (a possible plus) and parents.
I've been out of practice and serving as a pastor for a few years, but have been re-examined and will be transitioning back into Veterinary Medicine in the late summer.