PDA

View Full Version : Cutting veneer strips for a leg

Brian Runau
09-18-2023, 7:53 PM
I need to cut some of these for side of legs to cover glue joints. Using 3/4" stock, is there any safe way to do this on a table saw? Leg is going to be 1-1/2 square. Thanks brian

Richard Coers
09-18-2023, 8:23 PM
You can cut them on the table saw, if you sandwich the veneer between two pieces of wood or plywood. I'd stack as many sheets you intend to cut and cut them in one pass. A couple wraps of blue tape around the pack will certainly help.

Doug Garson
09-18-2023, 9:23 PM
Just to clarify, you are cutting veneer strips from 3/4" stock to apply to 1 1/2" legs? Why 3/4" stock? If you need 1 1/2" wide strips better to start with 1 5/8" or thicker stock.

Brian Runau
09-18-2023, 9:32 PM
Just to clarify, you are cutting veneer strips from 3/4" stock to apply to 1 1/2" legs? Why 3/4" stock? If you need 1 1/2" wide strips better to start with 1 5/8" or thicker stock.

Yes, on clarification. I will use wider stock than I need, but milling it to 3/4" thick. I currently cut this in half on my 10" tabletop bandsaw, the plane them down for glue on. I don't see a safe way to do this on a tablesaw. Thanks brian

Doug Garson
09-18-2023, 9:52 PM
Now I'm really confused. Your finished legs will be 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" made up of 1 1/2" x 3/4" stock glued up to get 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" and covering the two faces with the glue joint with veneer. If that's the case you need to cut the veneer from > 1 1/2" wide stock not 3/4" stock. Ripping say 1/8" veneer strips off 1 5/8" thick stock is not difficult.

Brian Tymchak
09-18-2023, 10:27 PM
I have cut a slice off 3/4 stock about 2" wide. But it was a bit squirrely. I used a Gripper with the side leg, a push stick in the left hand to keep the stock to the fence, and a splitter.

I have also stuck a thinner piece to a larger waste piece with 2 sided tape and made the cut. Use plenty of tape.

Or you can glue your stock to a larger piece. If you are cutting thick veneer, say 1/8", you can get a couple strips out of your 3/4 stock this way.

Kevin Jenness
09-18-2023, 10:30 PM
Why not glue your 3/4" veneer stock to your leg blank, rip off all but a veneer thickness, rinse and repeat?

Richard Coers
09-18-2023, 11:45 PM
Sorry, I misunderstood.

Doug Garson
09-19-2023, 1:57 AM
I too may have misunderstood your post. It appears you are not comfortable ripping or resawing a 3/4" wide by say 2" tall piece on a table saw into 1/8" veneers. I would not be concerned, I would use a featherboard, splitter and sacrificial push block cutting the 1/8" strip on the outside and adjusting the fence between cuts using a thin strip jig to reset the fence for each cut. If you're not comfortable then don't do it, use Brian's or Kevin's suggestions if you feel comfortable with them. I don't mind chewing up a sacrificial pushblock as long as the stock is controlled and my hands are a safe distance from the blade with something solid in between my hand and the blade.

You could also make a taller version on this thin rip jig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OFFixOYHD0&t=547s

Here's an additional video demonstrating how I would do it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxL8KRIBgL0

John TenEyck
09-19-2023, 9:33 AM
What's wrong with using your bandsaw? Even a bench top model can cut well with the right blade.

John