PDA

View Full Version : Horrible Fright sandpaper still no good?

Bill Dufour
09-18-2023, 4:35 PM
I see harbor fright is selling some hook and loop sandpaper at good prices. Is it still the same low quality it was 10-15 years ago. Made in china and one pass on pine rubs the glue off so the sand is gone.
I seem to remember the wet and dry stuff was almost okay.
Bill D

George Yetka
09-18-2023, 4:43 PM
Bill

Im not really sure about the fright. But there have some good studies recently into cost per inch of sanding instead of cost per disk. The 3m cubitron seamed to be the name to have, you get the most for your money there or so they say. I find that for a little more the Mirka abranet has a much life if you ever decide to lift a corner of your sander. The 3m paper ripped apart almost immediately. The 3m was fine on flat surfaces though

mike stenson
09-18-2023, 4:58 PM
I found the cubitron to be a false savings. Cheaper than Mirka, yea, but it lasts about half as long IME, even flat.

Richard Coers
09-18-2023, 5:24 PM
HF is the last place I would buy sandpaper. They are attempting new marketing by labeling so many of the things they already sold, and increasing prices. Sorry, I won't pay more for a Bauer anything.

Warren Lake
09-18-2023, 5:25 PM
ive used a major companies paper for many years some in low production work. Noticed it didn't last as long didn't like a change in paper either. Made a complaint told them I know what past could do its junk now.

Admitted to the change and issues welcome to the green world. A gaggle of good stuff arrived to stop me from telling you who.

Michael Burnside
09-18-2023, 5:31 PM
I found the cubitron to be a false savings. Cheaper than Mirka, yea, but it lasts about half as long IME, even flat.

100% agreed. A lot of YouTube vids on this and I just wonder if these guys are actually doing full project tests or just getting paid for that nonsense. My personal findings, testing as directed on two projects, both Mirka and Festool paper last twice as long as the 3M stuff. Plus the dust collection is better.

As for the OP's question. I wouldn't touch HF sandpaper with a 10 foot pole...as they say, a cheapskate pays twice :D