PDA

View Full Version : Looking for wood in all the wrong places!

John Hemenway
02-02-2006, 12:44 PM
Help me find the right place. I'm looking for 1/2" Lyptus plywood anywhere in the San Francisco bay area. Mail order would be a possibility, also. All my local sources carry 1/4" and 3/4" but need to special order 1/2". Unfortunatly, they want me to buy the entire order, 2 to 3 times more than I need.

HELP!

John Miliunas
02-02-2006, 1:38 PM
Help me find the right place. I'm looking for 1/2" Lyptus plywood anywhere in the San Francisco bay area. Mail order would be a possibility, also. All my local sources carry 1/4" and 3/4" but need to special order 1/2". Unfortunatly, they want me to buy the entire order, 2 to 3 times more than I need.

HELP!

Afraid I can't help with a source but, if you can't do it any other way, how about laminating that 1/4" they do have to some 1/4" BP???:) :cool:

Steve Clardy
02-02-2006, 1:43 PM
Can't help you there.
Probably a uncommon thickness like Red Oak ply.
1/2 ply just doesn't have the market like 1/4 and 3/4
1/2 ply in oak costs a 3rd more than 3/4 here.

Mark Rios
02-02-2006, 4:54 PM
John, I called my local hardwood supply, which actually specializes in hardwood plywood. It's Aura Hardwoods. They have four warehouses (I think)here in Nor. Cal. They said that they too only had 1/4" and 3/4" material. The very nice lady in the office said that their supplier/vender only sold those two thicknesses. She suggested that I call "Hugh's Hardwoods" in Stockton because he frequently carries an odder assortment of materials. 209-464-2334 I called them but no one was there to answer. They have a funny (odd) answering system. I'll try again later also.

Charlie Plesums
02-02-2006, 5:50 PM
Hogan Hardwoods in Austin TX quoted me $53.50 for A1 Lyptus 1/2 inch a few months ago. I didn't need 1/2 inch, but I noted the price. I don't know if they ship... their corporate office has a web site that might be helpful - they may have a branch closer to you.